PDA

View Full Version : Rant on body filler

ramos
09-12-2005, 09:41 AM
I noticed alot of you guys believe whole heartedly in a specific brand of filler. And most everybody trashes pretty much any bondo product. I'm probably going to step on a lot of toes with the following statement but here goes anyway ;)

Over the years I have screwed up many times :D and through many trial and error sessions I have realized it's not so much the brand. It's all about mixing it in the proper portions, proper application, and taking down the rough spots when the filler starts turning rubbery. Brand really means nothing to me other than price. I use what I presume is Napa brand ( says it on the can ) a gallon can with large tube of catalyst is $ 14. And I haven't had any problems at all in the 10 plus years I have been using it. I still use the regular old plain jane bondo on the rare occasions napa is out of stock. Only reason I don't use it regularly is it's more expensive than the napa brand. Haven't had any problems with the bondo either.
:)

req
09-12-2005, 11:25 AM
do you use a file to take down high spots, and then sand with 24 grit?

lol. ive been using whatever was at pepboys\autozone :)

joeldirt
09-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I use bondo. I have no problems with it. I hear ever coat rage gold is easier to sand, however where I buy most of my suplies, bondo is 14 bucks a gallon. Works for me. I also like the bondo layup resin for general purpose build up of reinforcement. Both together work awsome for the "body shake" also. I guess other people like other body fillers for the sanding. SOme are easier to sand then others I guess. As I said, I have no problems with bondo either.

Nikuk
09-12-2005, 02:48 PM
filler is filler, but IMO, there are poor brands of resin. Just my experiance.

But all in all, it's ALL ABOUT THE MIXTURE.

+1 for Ramos.

-Nick