PDA

View Full Version : a/c adapters????

bimma85
09-10-2005, 02:59 PM
I just bought an lcd monitor and it doesnt have an ac adapter with it(didnt look when I bought it... just thought they used a reg. cord like all the crts ive ever seen. When finding one for it, I need to look for one with the exact voltage and something that will push up to the current the monitor needs, right?. The adapter will on draw the current the monitor needs right? The one I'm looking at says 12v upto 4 A. And on my monitor it says, 12v 2A. Would this work?

PV Audio
09-10-2005, 03:05 PM
i have no idea as to what u mean

creater
09-10-2005, 03:08 PM
wont harm anything i guess...

bimma85
09-10-2005, 03:13 PM
i have no idea as to what u mean
Edited, maybe that helps. Been a long day already. :crap:

JimJ
09-10-2005, 03:20 PM
You have a DC-powered monitor?

If it says it takes 2 amps of current, then a 4amp supply will do just fine.

bimma85
09-10-2005, 03:29 PM
You have a DC-powered monitor?

If it says it takes 2 amps of current, then a 4amp supply will do just fine.
Yup... been too broke to even look at ones or had to sell em cuz they were too nice and I needed money more :(. But yea picked this one up for $20(thinking it needed just a normal 3 prong cord(which I have tons of) but I need to get a power supply, and saw one on ebay for $20 and wanted to pretty make sure that the a/c to d/c supply will only send the current the monitor needs. Btw hopefully when I go to my dads shop today I remember the digi so I can get some pics of those tubes for ya... is there any way I can test them?

JimJ
09-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Not unless you have a tube tester...obviously plugging them in and seeing if they light up is a way, but you have no idea as to the mutual transconductance...that you need a meter for. But if they're new-in-box, or look very lightly used, they're probably still good.

bimma85
09-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Not unless you have a tube tester...obviously plugging them in and seeing if they light up is a way, but you have no idea as to the mutual transconductance...that you need a meter for. But if they're new-in-box, or look very lightly used, they're probably still good.
Alrighty... nope they're used, how do I tell if they look lightly used? Dont know squat about tubes. :crap:
As for the adapter question, it will only supply the current the monitor "asks" for/ no more no less, correct?

93 saturn sl2
09-10-2005, 03:42 PM
why don't you call the manufacturer of the montor for the right adapter and try to find a used one?

JimJ
09-10-2005, 03:45 PM
A 4amp power supply means that it will supply up to 4 amps of current...but if there's less, it only supplies what's needed.

bimma85
09-10-2005, 03:46 PM
why don't you call the manufacturer of the montor for the right adapter and try to find a used one?
I am trying to find a used one. They said that they work for the monitor, but I just wanna make sure that since the monitor needs 2a that the ps will only send it 2a. As for calling, I doubt they're open til monday, and know many folks on here could answer my ? as well as they could.

bimma85
09-10-2005, 03:46 PM
A 4amp power supply means that it will supply up to 4 amps of current...but if there's less, it only supplies what's needed.
Cool, thats what I thought. Thx man