PDA

View Full Version : Strange Issue, Future solution?

NickCR
09-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Hello Forum,

First visit here but I see there is lots of great information. I'm certain this place will be a great resource for what I need.

My first issue that i'm having is my trunk space air flow. I have an 88 Mercedez Benz 300E and the trunks in these things are sealed very well. Well by accident the other day my trunk was open about an inch and I was amazed because having that 1 inch of open trunk increased bass volume by about 40%. Now obiously I cannot rip around with my trunk open but i'd like to get my system to sound like that. Attached below is a picture of the setup. I know it's really cheesy and looks like crap, since this pic I have fixed the cords that hold the box so it doesn't touch the subs.

http://www.nicholasaron.com/gallery/ridez/88benz-3.jpg

This is my system setup:

Most components are Koiiler, but I must say for costing only $75 /sub it sure packs a punch. The amp that runs the 10" Dual Voice Coil subs is a Koiiler Competition series amp with 500 RMS. I have gain on that amp at around 50%. The other AMP is the same Koiiler Competition series amp but it's setup to run my internal speakers. They are Blaupaunt Overdrive. Trust me when I say I know this isn't top of the line equipment, I can say that I know it ***** next to Rockford Fosgate or Eclipse or other makes out there. I have a CrossOver that is mounted on the box for the high/med/low chanels. I have a Pheonix Digital cap with a 5 joulle (I think that's how they are rated power output). Keep in mind forum, I live in San Jose, Costa Rica where Pyrimid, Phoenix Digital, Blaupaunt are regular buys and Pinoneer is considered "HIGH END". Well anyway I don't like the decks that any of these companies provide. So during my recent trip to Vancouver, BC I thought i'd buy myself a nice Clarrion (Pro Audio) MusicCatcher deck. So with that addition, this system thumps but i'd like to get the most out of it and the trunk open showed me that i'm not.

Second I would obiously like to design a new box for them preferably something that will not cover my spare tire. I would like them to remain ported because I like the sound it produces. I have tried to search around for the dimensions for these subs. The boxes I currently have are obiously not the correct size because of the issues with the trunk when open. In either side of the trunk (left / right sides) I have a good space where I can put the subs (build a box) and then have a the sub rack up against the back seats. What can you guys recommend for this procedure and how should I go about this. Where can I get box size and details. How do I take into consideration the seal of the trunk space.

Thanks in Advance everyone for your help,

Nick

NickCR
09-09-2005, 03:50 AM
Forum,

Here are the specs on the Subs:

From Shopping.com: The Koiiler XM-8210 10" Subwoofer is an excellent choice for a high power Competition Subwoofer. This sub is all business when it comes to competition performance. It's ability to take very large amounts of power hour after hour while delivering clean low distortion very high sound pressure levels is unsurpassed in this price range. This driver can really deliver a chest pounding low end that you won't believe. This driver will work best in a sealed or ported 1.0 cu. ft. or larger box.

Type: Component
Function: Subwoofer
Size: 10"

Nominal Power Handling: 400 Watt
Powered: Non-Powered
Technical Features: Peak Power Handling 800 Watt

Frequency Respond: 20 Hz - 500 Hz

Sensitivity: 90 dB

Impedance: 4 ohm
Components Surround Material: Foam
Mounting Enclosure: Non-Enclosed

Top Mounting Depth : 5.31 In.

Bottom Mounting Depth: 5.31 In.

Mounting Diameter / Length: 9.84 In.

Maybe that will help tell me about what I need to do to reproduce that sound in the new boxes as if the trunk was open but without it open. I wouldn't mind the port entering the compartment of the car.

Chevillac
09-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Forum,
Type: Component
Function: Subwoofer
Size: 10"
Nominal Power Handling: 400 Watt
Powered: Non-Powered
Technical Features: Peak Power Handling 800 Watt
Frequency Respond: 20 Hz - 500 Hz
Sensitivity: 90 dB
Impedance: 4 ohm
Components Surround Material: Foam
Mounting Enclosure: Non-Enclosed
Top Mounting Depth : 5.31 In.
Bottom Mounting Depth: 5.31 In.
Mounting Diameter / Length: 9.84 In.

More specs.

# Power handling:800 Watts Peak, 400 watts RMS
# Vented 4 Layer Dual 4 Ohm Voice coils
# Diameter: 2.5" Voice coil
# Nominal impedance: 4 ohms /per coil
# DC resistance: 3.2 ohms each coil
# Frequency range: 20 Hz-1.5 kHz
Fs: 41 Hz
# Qts: 0.6360
# Qes: 0.7209
# Qms: 5.4047
# Vas: 26L
# Xmax: 11.9mm
# Sd: 0.0346m
# Mounting Depth: 135mm
# Mounting Hole Diameter: 250mm
# SPL: 86.54 dB 1W/1m

ramos
09-09-2005, 11:03 AM
What do you have in your rear deck ? Are there speakers there ? I can't tell from your picture. If there are speakers there, try pullng them out. Leave the holes empty and fire her up and see if there is any difference. :)

NickCR
09-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Hi Guys,

First let me say thank you for the suggestions.

Moving the box towards the back of the trunk is something that was mentioned before on another forum but I don't want to loose my trunk space. I figured that is why I would tackle building a new enclosure that would fit in either side of the trunk and then where the subs currently sit would hold the amp rack. Give me a chance to make it look nicer.

The thought about opening up the speaker enclosures, is a good idea and would provide more air flow. I have an arm rest in the midde of the seats in the back. Behind that is a plastic piece. I could just cut a slot out there. However what would happen if I build a box that extended to the back seats from the sides and use the arm rest area as a port?

Thanks for all the additional specs on my sub. I looked everywhere last night for that information and didn't find it anywhere :(

Thank in Advance,

Nick

ramos
09-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Porting through the Ski hole ( never stuck ski's through there once myself ) is an awesome idea works very well. That's actually he direction I was stearing you towards. :)

NickCR
09-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks for your help. I gotta figure out how i'm supposed to build the box, hopefully it's not to complicated.

ramos
09-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Nah, just like a regular ported enclosure. When you start thinking about the port though. You got to remember to take into the fact that some of your port will be outside the enclosure :)

NickCR
09-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Jmac: Thanks for your response and I understand that by moving it to the back that would reduce the cancellation of waves. However what if I was to angle the subs up or down. Would that make a difference?

I have wanted to create a new enclosure due to the fact that this one is pretty sad looking and I would like to include a AMP rack but I want to do it right and i'm a little concerned about the specs of the box being that it would require a little more then just a square to put them in each side of the trunk. Any suggestions for that would be greatly appreciated.

saywhat?
09-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Jmac: Thanks for your response and I understand that by moving it to the back that would reduce the cancellation of waves. However what if I was to angle the subs up or down. Would that make a difference?

I have wanted to create a new enclosure due to the fact that this one is pretty sad looking and I would like to include a AMP rack but I want to do it right and i'm a little concerned about the specs of the box being that it would require a little more then just a square to put them in each side of the trunk. Any suggestions for that would be greatly appreciated.

Jmac is a human computer when it comes to figuring this **** out. hit him up with 10 bucks through pay pal or something of the sort. mabe yall can work out a deal to get your plan done. hes a great guy.

NickCR
09-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Jmac, maybe you can help me with an Enclosure design. What would you need to get started on that?

LBX2G
09-09-2005, 11:27 PM
u could always vent ur cabin to ur trunk...

NickCR
09-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Jmac how can I get in touch with you to discuss the enclosure and to get you to make me one?

theCybe
09-11-2005, 12:19 AM
:popcorn: