PDA

View Full Version : what component route would you do.

guy022077
09-08-2005, 10:34 AM
i want more midbass up front... so would you get :
2 sets of type x and have 200 out of pocket
or get 4 dayton reference http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-364 and crossovers http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-140 from dayton and have 0 out of pocket (i have tweeters already i would just use those.)
or the cadence on ebay for 80 each and come out 50-75 bucks ahead

i have 75X4 at 4 ohms and 180 X 4 at 2 ohms

or some type R's and come out of pocket maybe 90 bucks

these are your only options......i want more midbass that is my focus..

squeak9798
09-08-2005, 10:41 AM
If you went with the Dayton, I wouldn't get those cheesy crossovers. I'd either go active, build my own or pay OlogyAudio $150 for a set of his crossovers.

If you like your current components other than the midbass, any thought of adding an active dedicated midbass up front rather than changing everything out?

squeak9798
09-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Also, I'd say ditch the rears. No need to have a 2nd comp set in back unless you have 5.1 surround sound. At the least, drop those down to co-axials and increase your budget on your front components.

guy022077
09-08-2005, 10:48 AM
If you went with the Dayton, I wouldn't get those cheesy crossovers. I'd either go active, build my own or pay OlogyAudio $150 for a set of his crossovers.

If you like your current components other than the midbass, any thought of adding an active dedicated midbass up front rather than changing everything out?
i have thought about it but couldnt find room to put it..and i cant have kicks...and no room under glovebox on either side...and no way to power it unless i get another amp..or i could bridge my rear channels or something...
would it be stupid to just add one midbass driver in the front? i might have room for 1 but not 2.

OlogyAudio
09-08-2005, 12:57 PM
i have thought about it but couldnt find room to put it..and i cant have kicks...and no room under glovebox on either side...and no way to power it unless i get another amp..or i could bridge my rear channels or something...
would it be stupid to just add one midbass driver in the front? i might have room for 1 but not 2.

Well I just have 2x 7" RS midwoofers, 2x RS tweeters in my car FINIALY GOT THEM INSTALLED! took long nuff between orders... but let me tell you this... A. It sounds awesome... B. It gets loud and has quite intense midbass... There is no need for another midwoofer... My doors flex nicely though... they need some extra rigidity as well as damping... I guess thats my next project... I'll get pics up before too long...

Don't get those crummy PE xovers... please -- for your own good :)

guy022077
09-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Well I just have 2x 7" RS midwoofers, 2x RS tweeters in my car FINIALY GOT THEM INSTALLED! took long nuff between orders... but let me tell you this... A. It sounds awesome... B. It gets loud and has quite intense midbass... There is no need for another midwoofer... My doors flex nicely though... they need some extra rigidity as well as damping... I guess thats my next project... I'll get pics up before too long...

Don't get those crummy PE xovers... please -- for your own good :)
yeah......yours are not expensive they are just out of my price bracket..just for a set of your xovers i can get an entire set of type X comps almost but can get a set of type R's...and i dont want to cpend very much...maybe ill look into making my own...hmmmmm.....

OlogyAudio
09-08-2005, 02:16 PM
yeah......yours are not expensive they are just out of my price bracket..just for a set of your xovers i can get an entire set of type X comps almost but can get a set of type R's...and i dont want to cpend very much...maybe ill look into making my own...hmmmmm.....

Well my sets have about $80 in PARTS costs :) so... it would only save you about $100... not to mention it took about a month and 1/2 to finalize the design with my experience... I got it to almost the final xover within a week though...

noob with an RS
09-08-2005, 04:23 PM
hey ology are your mids running infinite baffle? and i'm still waiting for a review from a member on this board!!

3.5Max6spd
09-08-2005, 05:28 PM
i think for the price of those xovers they are worth trying out

OlogyAudio
09-08-2005, 05:31 PM
hey ology are your mids running infinite baffle? and i'm still waiting for a review from a member on this board!!

Well I'm running mine sealed using the doors as an enclosure (the rear wave goes through where the grill was into the door through my speaker pods) haha... I need some serious damping... but yes it is sealed off pretty well... there are some rattles that I need to address at high volume emanating from my car...

They Would do IB just fine -- you may find it beneficial though to add about 3dB of boost at about 150-200hz though for a little more uumph... ya know -- what you would be used to if the motor had less control over the cone and had some more kick to it... though without it -- it is very very smooth and without a sub you can still feel the bass/midbass in your chest... If I had a vid camera I'd put some **** up... I am going to be posting pics though here.

Seems this forum people love their rainbows and are afraid to try other new things :P lol... one day it will be that everyone will love their Ology Audio sets and are afraid to try new things :D… Guy here is tryn to be on the more inexpensive side of things... so he can build it himself and source his own parts through his work and save some money I guess? So there will be a review from that if nothing else...

Blue is supposed to be getting some Seas Excel component sets designed... He will be comparing head to head with rainbow pofi vand. sets and I'm gonna whoop some *** I know it :)...

Anywho people just move so slowly :) -- My custom driver progress is going SO SLOW -- and Mike at soundsplinter is so busy its crazy... Hope to move things along a bit there as well... Possibly find some other good distributors as well?

guy022077
09-08-2005, 06:16 PM
i think for the price of those xovers they are worth trying out
which ones? the 20 dollar or the other ones?

3.5Max6spd
09-08-2005, 06:51 PM
which ones? the 20 dollar or the other ones?

There are other ones there made by metra i believe as well- but use the Dayton ones if you are going to use their drivers

OlogyAudio
09-08-2005, 07:19 PM
There are other ones there made by metra i believe as well- but use the Dayton ones if you are going to use their drivers

I'd listen to Squeak if I were you... those xovers would be a waste of $45 :) My 2 way xovers range from 2x-4x that much money (typically -- some exceptions in both directions...) because they are QUALITY and properly designed... not to mention built by my poor hands :)

Those 'textbook' crummy crummy crummy worse than poop crossovers that aren't even the proper 'textbook' for these 'nominal' impedance loads well ****... about as improper a design for these drivers as exists... asides from possibly a 1st order with no impedance compensation whatsoever...

It kind of irritates me that they sell those and confuse poor noobs to the art of DIY that don't know any better...

If you want to use those xovers DONT use the RS drivers... heh use something that would atleast *kind of* work... something well behaved... RS drivers are about as FAR from well behaved as you can get and need very special attention in the xover design to make them sound acceptable... nonetheless bring out the awesome sound quality buried inside...

squeak9798
09-08-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm going to agree with Ology on this one :)

OlogyAudio
09-08-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm going to agree with Ology on this one :)

Thanks for the moral support -- I know it looks like I'm rly objective in my statement above trying to just sell my xovers... but I am always just looking out for people's best interests over everything... I've sent a few people interested in xovers away in search of a proper active setup over the past few months because it would have been best for them... Mostly because they already had mix/match drivers that don't have any sort of published data... granted they could always send me the drivers and I'd run some measurements on them and get something that is pretty good... but it is time consuming to say the least... they lose about a week of not having speakers due to shipping back/forth ALONE nonetheless me having to create a design that is custom that will never be used again and have to charge them more... so it ends up being almost as expensive as doing a proper active setup... which is quite frankly very nice (if you have the knowledge and time to set it up)...

I try to make my advise about as non bias and honest as I can. That is my business principal – offer a superior product that people actually would be better off getting… instead of convincing people that they need something – that they really don’t just for my gain :)… Not how I like doing business…

Enough talking about my business practices haha... need to finish this component set so it can get sent out tomorrow...

noob with an RS
09-09-2005, 04:22 PM
ology you make me horny. not sexually, but audiophilically. if thats even a word. when u talk dirty (talk in a language using audio-related big words i don't understand) it makes me want to buy your stuff. in short, i'm sure you know what you're doing! i need moneeyyyy

OlogyAudio
09-09-2005, 06:54 PM
ology you make me horny. not sexually, but audiophilically. if thats even a word. when u talk dirty (talk in a language using audio-related big words i don't understand) it makes me want to buy your stuff. in short, i'm sure you know what you're doing! i need moneeyyyy
:veryhapp: :veryhapp: :naughty: -- oh ya -- they sound like kinky ***... if you are into lots of detail and don't mind being irritated by bad recording quality... If you do mind it... I have a 5" set thats smoother yet still detailed... and I'm working on a 7" version with some seas poly and paper units... :eek: -- something for everyone's taste.

harveyy
09-10-2005, 01:10 PM
It kind of irritates me that they sell those and confuse poor noobs to the art of DIY that don't know any better...

Ahhh! the trials and tribulations of being a noob.......yes, pity us poor noobs, we're only trying to get better....with help and guidance from people like you, one day we'll escape noobersville and never return.

Now, does anyone want to buy a Rolex, $50, the nice man I bought it from said it is real!

AnGeLiCbOrIs
09-15-2005, 09:51 PM
I have heard the Cadence CWM6Ks and can give them my strongest vote of confidence. They sound clean, and will give you really nice midbass. Plus, on ebay they are priced to sell.
Hope you make the right decision!

guy022077
09-15-2005, 09:53 PM
im going with the cadence who konws...they may sound great...i wanted some cdt's or type R's but those guys never got back to me with pics...