PDA

View Full Version : what to cover three tens with

joeldirt
09-08-2005, 12:19 AM
what would you vote to cover the face for this three ten in. enclosure?

1) Carbon fiber

2) Gloss black paint.

3) Other suggestions.

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5999/310sglassed0628ls4bv.th.jpg (http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=310sglassed0628ls4bv.jpg)

PhatTonyDeMarco
09-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Where is it going to be mounted, a trunk or somewhere will it will always be visible?

If the trunk, then I would say the carbon fiber, or even just automotive carpeting (might be tricky on that odd shape though.)

But got an interior placement, I would choose something like vinyl or even leather covering.

SSS 18734
09-08-2005, 12:25 AM
carbon fiber would be sweet.

but a deep, glossy jet black would look nice as well. it would go well with the rest of the box

joeldirt
09-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Where is it going to be mounted, a trunk or somewhere will it will always be visible?

If the trunk, then I would say the carbon fiber, or even just automotive carpeting (might be tricky on that odd shape though.)

But got an interior placement, I would choose something like vinyl or even leather covering.

it would most likely go in a trunk or an suv back hatch area. This is a project meant for no peticular automobile. i made it so that I can make a mold of the face to speed up production. If it all works out well I will do other faces with the same process.

joeldirt
09-08-2005, 01:13 AM

carpet wouldnt be dificult to do at all with that. However I want to have a perfectly smooth surface. SO more then likely I will go with te carbon fiber or the paint. The reason I want it to be perfectly smooth is so that when I make the mold, I will be able to have a cast come out all ready finished no sanding necesary, just a lil rubbing compund and a good buffing.

azbass
09-08-2005, 01:23 AM
tydie

GTonDubs
09-09-2005, 12:05 AM
we did crushed velvet for a lowrider, with raised logos pimpin

ramos
09-09-2005, 10:39 AM
If your gonna use it to make negative molds. why even paint it to begin with ? If it's allready smooth, just spray it down with mold release and go to town making your mold :)

ruckus
09-09-2005, 01:15 PM
If your gonna use it to make negative molds. why even paint it to begin with ? If it's allready smooth, just spray it down with mold release and go to town making your mold :)

x2 then after the mold you can do what you want with it. Glassman doesnt paint his pieces before he molds them.

joeldirt
09-10-2005, 01:56 AM
x2 then after the mold you can do what you want with it. Glassman doesnt paint his pieces before he molds them.

roger that. sounds good. I'll give it a shot. Let you know how it turns out tomorow. The reason why I was going to paint it, or put put carbon kevlar before the mold, was because I don't have my gel coat yet. I only have finishing resin. I believe it would work, however I want to ensure I do everyting perfect. Every piece of literature I have read to this point suggests using gel coat rather then any other type of resin. SO Since I don't have any gel coat at the moment, I was just going to get a picture perfect finish on it with the materials I do have then take the mold later. Ya know? Maybe I make no sence. I am so indecisive asbout this box since it idnt going into anything in peticular. Basically who ever wnats it, has it... For a reasonable price any how. What would you charge for that?

joeldirt
09-10-2005, 07:48 PM
well I chose the carbon fiber. First time working with it. the curves like most of you probably guessed. (as did I) was difficult to work with. I think the end result will look nice, but I will have a bit of sanding to do before I lay on the final coats of epoxy resin. Post pics in a min.