PDA

View Full Version : Jeez.... I think my HU is Busted.

flakko
09-07-2005, 11:51 PM
this is JUST great. when i go to turn on my car today my didnt turn on. At first i thought it was a wiring problem. I checked everything, even reconnected the power wires. The Head unit would turn on for a while, then turn off. Then turn on. then off, and so on for a good 5 minutes. Once it stayed on long enough for me to put the unit back into its harness. then it turned off.

So i check the fuses. everythings fine. i take the face off... the security light is blinking so i know that there is power going thru it. So i put the Face back in. Nothing.

So my hypothesis is something is jacked up with the face, or the unit itself.

Is my HU just busted, or is there something i am missing?

chinny
09-07-2005, 11:53 PM
told u to stay away from kenwood a get a pioneer

flakko
09-07-2005, 11:55 PM
sighhhhhhhhhhh it was such a nice HU tho

Bake
09-08-2005, 12:00 AM
that sux, going on and off as you described sounds like a loose connection. If all of your wiring is good it could be a solder joint inside the unit. Does it smell like you let the smoke out of it? If it isn't under warranty open it up and check the connections where the power leads come into the unit.

flakko
09-08-2005, 12:05 AM
no the thing is

that power IS going to it. The anti-theft light still flashes.

Logikalliquid
09-08-2005, 12:10 AM
It would come on/off pretty much randomly too right? Not like when it got bumped around? I think mine started to do that right before i took it out. I just assumed it was a connection in the harness coming loose.

flakko
09-08-2005, 12:14 AM
oh no i was jerking it around (that soudnds wrong) and as i was messing with the power connections it would turn on and off. but then after a while it wouldnt turn on anymore. but the security light is still on... thats wat im confused about

Logikalliquid
09-08-2005, 12:19 AM
You checked the fuse(s) in the car's fuse box right? Sounds like something is wrong with the acc wire somewhere/how if it isn't the deck itself.

flakko
09-08-2005, 12:25 AM
acc wire. hmm ill check tomorrow. but i dont get why the security lights flashing if the face doesnt work

Bake
09-08-2005, 01:53 AM
security light dosn't run off of the switched 12v line. The switched line is the one you need to check conections and fuses on

flakko
09-08-2005, 02:31 AM
oh okay

ill check the acc then ill report back!

johnecon2001
09-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Get an Eclipse?

flakko
09-08-2005, 07:25 PM
lol money is the problem eclipse is rather spensive.

but i checkd the acc wire today, reconnected it. no worky

I CANT STAND NOT HAVING MUSIC!!

my friend has an hu that needs installed. now if that doesnt work in my car, then wiring is messed up in my car.

camry_tuner
09-08-2005, 08:17 PM
aww poor flakko.... his headunit was pretty nice though...hope it all works out fer ya buddy

flakko
09-08-2005, 08:52 PM
can anyone else tell wat my prob is??? :(

johnecon2001
09-09-2005, 12:40 AM
did you try running a new constant to the battery yet?

netherland24
09-09-2005, 12:43 AM
is that unit a DEMASK??? could be a ribbon. check ur fuses under ur hood and under ur steering colum. do u have a power regualtor? if u do check it on there get the red and yellow together too the positive and the black too the negative. and see if it powers on right

Prowler573
09-09-2005, 12:48 AM
is that unit a DMASK??? could be a ribbon.

The X789 is not a D-Mask unit, netherland. It's from the '05 lineup and has...what is it Kenwood calls it now...the "Auto-Slide" faceplate. Motorized but doesn't revolve.

Flakko - my first guess would be that the switched power wire (red) has a loose connection in the plastic plug that snugs into the back of the deck. You've not had that deck long and unless I've missed my guess you're not one to abuse your audio. I can't imagine that the deck would have gone bad that fast - I'm going to hope for a loose connection in the harness, anyway. That'll be the cheapest fix - matter of fact if that's what it is I have a NIP Kenwood harness I can let ya have for w/e it would cost to ship it :)

flakko
09-09-2005, 02:31 AM
The X789 is not a D-Mask unit, netherland. It's from the '05 lineup and has...what is it Kenwood calls it now...the "Auto-Slide" faceplate. Motorized but doesn't revolve.

Flakko - my first guess would be that the switched power wire (red) has a loose connection in the plastic plug that snugs into the back of the deck. You've not had that deck long and unless I've missed my guess you're not one to abuse your audio. I can't imagine that the deck would have gone bad that fast - I'm going to hope for a loose connection in the harness, anyway. That'll be the cheapest fix - matter of fact if that's what it is I have a NIP Kenwood harness I can let ya have for w/e it would cost to ship it :)

hmmm i might take you up on that offer prowler. um let me check the rear harness

but interesting discovery today. when i have the faceplate inserted, and slide the face out manualy to insert the cd, the unit takes the CD, and when i want it to come back out, i just press the eject button and viola, the cd comes out.

sighh....

Decado
09-09-2005, 02:37 AM
hmmm i might take you up on that offer prowler. um let me check the rear harness

but interesting discovery today. when i have the faceplate inserted, and slide the face out manualy to insert the cd, the unit takes the CD, and when i want it to come back out, i just press the eject button and viola, the cd comes out.

sighh....

I had this problem once on my kdc-x679 and one day it just started working again, never did figure out what was wrong but it's been fine for ~2 months now...Sorry i can't help you on this because i don't know what it was either, but maybe it's a kenwood problem?

Prowler573
09-09-2005, 03:00 AM

sighh....

All the newer Kenwoods do that, Flakko. It's so, let's say if you've got a fave disc that gets swapped between the car and the house. It got left in the car and you realize it as you're walking in the house. You won't need to key the ignition to retrieve your disc. :D

It accepting and ejecting CDs simply tells you that the CD transport isn't damaged and the constant (yellow) is connected properly.

flakko
09-09-2005, 03:44 AM
ah isee... well thanks for your help all :) :) i love you guys :uhoh:..... i still have to check the rear harness tomorrow. so ill give you another update.

flakko
09-09-2005, 05:24 PM
IT WORKS!!!! i just fiddled with the harness and its all good now! Thanks to everyone that helped me :)

Prowler573
09-10-2005, 06:46 AM
That's good to know :) Glad it worked out, d00d. I wasn't looking forward to reading any bad press on newer eXcelon stuff ;)

Though I have to say...I really, really like the older 4ch I run...

flakko
09-10-2005, 06:49 AM
That's good to know :) Glad it worked out, d00d. I wasn't looking forward to reading any bad press on newer eXcelon stuff ;)

Though I have to say...I really, really like the older 4ch I run...

haha thanks for all your help, but you know wat even if it does crap out i would leave happy

edit: knock on wood

Prowler573
09-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Not a problem at all, mang...

Think you could do us a favor, though?
Update your sig and get rid of that Panasonic?? :)

flakko
09-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Not a problem at all, mang...

Think you could do us a favor, though?
Update your sig and get rid of that Panasonic?? :)

ahah i keep the Panasonic on there cuz of the spectrum analyzer! i love that little invention yea ill update :)

Bake
09-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Cool, glad it turned out to be a simple fix.