PDA

View Full Version : phoenix gold componets good buy?

duckfart
09-06-2005, 11:05 PM
I found a pair of PHOENIX GOLD X6.5 XENON 6.5" Component Speakers on ebay for about $100. are these componets better than the alpine type R and infinity kappa components? The price is in my budget . I want a set of componets with good midbass , can go loud without distorting , and hights not harsh. I'm going to be powering them by a 4 channel amp 75 rms x 4

SSS 18734
09-06-2005, 11:06 PM
i've heard awesome things about them. and from what ive heard, they have good midbass, can get loud without distorting, and dont have harsh highs. If i didnt pick up a set of RE comps, I would have gone with these. i say go for it if your on a budget.

aggybong
09-06-2005, 11:13 PM
The Xenons supposedly have a better tweeter, while the ZR's have better midbass. The Xenon's appear to be able to take a lot more power, though.

duckfart
09-06-2005, 11:47 PM
It's 75 rms too low to power these componets?

Mackenzie
09-06-2005, 11:50 PM
It would work, but you wouldnt be using them to their full potential. Ide say for your power needs take a look at the octane zrs. They will get louder off that power that you have, and perform nicely. Now if you were to have 120-200 watts, then ide say go with the xenon set.

duckfart
09-07-2005, 05:05 PM
why are these components cheaper than the Alpines Type R , Infinity Kappas , and polk momo when more people seem to recommend this 6.5 components. I also have an audiobahn 2 channel amp that puts out 200 rms that could power this components. I dont want any rear speakers other than my subs.

Mackenzie
09-07-2005, 10:58 PM
why are these components cheaper than the Alpines Type R , Infinity Kappas , and polk momo when more people seem to recommend this 6.5 components. I also have an audiobahn 2 channel amp that puts out 200 rms that could power this components. I dont want any rear speakers other than my subs.

Price has absolutely nothing to do with performance. If that were the case, the w7 should be the loudest, and best sounding sub on the earth, which we know its not. Pg always seems to have very reasonable prices for their equipment. Ive just recently noticed how cheap the xenons have went. They used to be double the amount that you see on ebay. Dont let the price fool you. The xenon will walk over many other comps that cost many more times their price. That audiobahn amp should power them just fine. Make sure you set the gains correctly.

halucinations
09-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Well i just installed these and coming from a stock system in a '05 GMC Canyon the midbass is muuuuch better. I love the kick drum in Black Betty - Lynard.

I am powering them with a Visonik V2408 which is rated at 150wrmsx2 @ 4 ohms, but could be overrated....so lets call it ~115wrms, and they SCREAM, i cant turn it up more that half way without it hurting my ears.

I cant really compare them to any other components because i have never heard any because this is my first set of real component speakers.

Brad

turnstylez18
09-30-2005, 04:22 PM
i would pick them up..heard a lot of good things..i would get the xenons or zrs