PDA

View Full Version : crossovers???

iceteebone
09-06-2005, 11:06 PM
ok what i want to do is run a set of tweeters, 5.25 midrange, and some midbass. my headunit is a pioneer 860. not sure if i'm gonna get a 6-channel amp or a 4 channel and 2 channel. the problem i have is i only have 3 outputs from my deck. i'm a little sketchy as too how these electronic crossovers work. is there a crossover out there where i can have my 3 inputs, then have a low pass for my sub amp, a bandpass for my midbass, another bandpass for my midrange, and a high pass for my tweeters? or is there another way to go about this? as you can tell i'm really dense when it comes to crossovers.

BassAddictJ
09-06-2005, 11:13 PM
there are some high end crossovers out there that'll do ur 3 channals + sub channal....

what are u talking about with the bandpass for ur mids?

iceteebone
09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
there are some high end crossovers out there that'll do ur 3 channals + sub channal....

what are u talking about with the bandpass for ur mids?

high pass them at say 80 hz. then low pass them at say 350 hz. and have the 5.25 midranges play 350 hz. to 2khz and the tweeters play 2khz and above. also have the sub play 80 hz. and lower.

squeak9798
09-06-2005, 11:25 PM
You can pick up an external 4-way xover (highpass, dual bandpass's and a lowpass), but then you are kinda wasting the internal xovers in your HU.

Or, if the amps you have/are getting have the appropriate built in xovers, you can use a combination of the amps and HU's crossovers to do what you need. HIghpass the Tweets off the deck. Run the midrange & midbass off of the bandpass RCA output on the deck (so it would lowpass the midrange and highpass the midbass), then use the amp's xovers to highpass the midrange and lowpass the midbass. And the subs off of the lowpass output.

That kind of fun, creative stuff :D

PS: If you are going to cut off the midrange at 2khz, then you might as well not even bother with a 3-way ;) Let that midrange as high as possible.

iceteebone
09-06-2005, 11:30 PM
i think i got it. hook up the sub to the sub output. banpass the rear channels, 80 hz. to 2khz. then low pass the 2 channels for the midbass at say 350 hz. on the amp and high pass the midrange on the amp at 350 hz. i have a pioneer 860 so it has a 3-way crossover. so now would i just get some splitters to split the rear rca outputs into 4 channels instead of 2?

squeak9798
09-06-2005, 11:42 PM
i think i got it. hook up the sub to the sub output. banpass the rear channels, 80 hz. to 2khz. then low pass the 2 channels for the midbass at say 350 hz. on the amp and high pass the midrange on the amp at 350 hz. i have a pioneer 860 so it has a 3-way crossover. so now would i just get some splitters to split the rear rca outputs into 4 channels instead of 2?

Yup.

But, like I said......2khz is pretty much a waste for a 3-way setup IMHO. The purpose behind that midrange is to actually play the majority of the midrange frequencies :p:

iceteebone
09-06-2005, 11:43 PM
if i put something like this http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/524 on my rear rca's then just high pass the rears at 80 hz. and low pass the midbass at 350 hz. or whatever and i should be all good to go then right? i'll crossover the tweets at like 2khz then on the headunit.

iceteebone
09-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Yup.

But, like I said......2khz is pretty much a waste for a 3-way setup IMHO. The purpose behind that midrange is to actually play the majority of the midrange frequencies :p:

ok i'll just let them play 350 hz. and up. seems easy enough to setup. :yumyum:

squeak9798
09-06-2005, 11:46 PM
if i put something like this http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/524 on my rear rca's then just high pass the rears at 80 hz. and low pass the midbass at 350 hz. or whatever and i should be all good to go then right? i'll crossover the tweets at like 2khz then on the headunit.

You would need two of those (one for the left RCA, one for the right RCA). But yeah. Then you'd bandpass via the HU at the frequencies necessary to highpass the midbass and lowpass the midrange (using your example, 80hz on the highpass and 2khz on the lowpass), then use the amp's xover to lowpass the midbass @ 350hz (or where ever) and again use the amp's xover to highpass the midrange @ 350hz (or where ever). And highpass the tweets via the deck.

:thumbupw:

DBfan187
09-07-2005, 05:18 PM
?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/COUXM6

80INCHES
09-07-2005, 05:39 PM
thats a good xover dbfan
i had the old xm7 and it worked wonders for my ride

squeak9798
09-07-2005, 05:46 PM
?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/COUXM6

He'd have to use that in conjunction with the HU's xovers still. In which case, it'd be cheaper and easier to just use the amp's built in xovers.

However, if you really wanted to use an external xover also, I have a mighty fine 3-way for sale ;)

3.5Max6spd
09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
right now as we speak...

i have tweeters running off passives (2500hz 18db)and dome midranges full range past naturally rolling off at 5k... 630hz 6db slope HP off front channels
my mids are bandpassed 63hz- 800hz (24db slopes)

Its very limiting to run full 4way with anything other than a DRZ/P9 or external processor/xovers.....cannot do it fully active otherwise

Here's some pics on my instal i finished up recently adding my midranges...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/466763/11

squeak9798
09-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Its very limiting to run full 4way with anything other than a DRZ/P9 or external processor/xovers.....cannot do it fully active otherwise

:confused:

My method was still fully active.

3.5Max6spd
09-07-2005, 06:42 PM
:confused:

My method was still fully active.

you are right- i meant from the source itself

3.5Max6spd
09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
ok what i want to do is run a set of tweeters, 5.25 midrange, and some midbass. my headunit is a pioneer 860. not sure if i'm gonna get a 6-channel amp or a 4 channel and 2 channel. the problem i have is i only have 3 outputs from my deck. i'm a little sketchy as too how these electronic crossovers work. is there a crossover out there where i can have my 3 inputs, then have a low pass for my sub amp, a bandpass for my midbass, another bandpass for my midrange, and a high pass for my tweeters? or is there another way to go about this? as you can tell i'm really dense when it comes to crossovers.

In any event-I'm in the same boat.

If you go 4ch, u can run it off the front rcas, but then it affects your T/A unless the tweets/midrange are ran super close together

My prob is I have a 2 2ch's to run 6 speakers:crying:

The Zapco is going bye bye soon for a 4ch so I at least have individual gains to work with.

Blazemore
09-07-2005, 10:21 PM
3.5Max6spd where did you get the Rubicon's at?

3.5Max6spd
09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
3.5Max6spd where did you get the Rubicon's at?

you got a pm

iceteebone
09-08-2005, 11:17 AM
In any event-I'm in the same boat.

If you go 4ch, u can run it off the front rcas, but then it affects your T/A unless the tweets/midrange are ran super close together

My prob is I have a 2 2ch's to run 6 speakers:crying:

The Zapco is going bye bye soon for a 4ch so I at least have individual gains to work with.

i got a 6-channel amp. i'm just gonna split the rear output, to hook up channels 5/6 and 3/4. i'm gonna build some sealed door pods for the midbass, and some kicks for my 5.25's and tweeters. what i'm gonna do is like highpass on the headunit 63 hz. and lowpass on the amps 5/6 channels probably 200 hz. or so and then high pass 3/4 at 200 hz. then the tweeters at around 2khz. if you are looking for a 4-channel i got one for sale :) it's not zapco but still pretty solid.

squeak9798
09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
then the tweeters at around 2khz.

I still say higher ;)

iceteebone
09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
I still say higher ;)

it's not set in stone :) i'm just throwing out numbers for an example.

DBfan187
09-08-2005, 11:48 AM
want some horns?:)

alphakenny1
10-25-2005, 02:19 AM
right now as we speak...

i have tweeters running off passives (2500hz 18db)and dome midranges full range past naturally rolling off at 5k... 630hz 6db slope HP off front channels
my mids are bandpassed 63hz- 800hz (24db slopes)

Here's some pics on my instal i finished up recently adding my midranges...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/466763/11

sorry to bring up an old thread but i had a question. are you using your time alignment because i just drew up a quick sketch with your setup and you can't use the TA correctly? i'd like to do a 3 way active frontstage (something similar to yours) but i can't see how it will work without affecting the TA.

in a later post you said it might be okay if the midrange and tweet is close together so what i was thinking of doing is putting the midbass in the stock speaker location and getting kick panels for the midrange and tweet. so what your suggesting is put the midrange and tweet in the front RCA and basically using the TA off that and it would be fine?

3.5Max6spd
10-25-2005, 04:04 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread but i had a question. are you using your time alignment because i just drew up a quick sketch with your setup and you can't use the TA correctly? i'd like to do a 3 way active frontstage (something similar to yours) but i can't see how it will work without affecting the TA.

in a later post you said it might be okay if the midrange and tweet is close together so what i was thinking of doing is putting the midbass in the stock speaker location and getting kick panels for the midrange and tweet. so what your suggesting is put the midrange and tweet in the front RCA and basically using the TA off that and it would be fine?

Yes...T/A need is based on pathlength differences to the listener, speakers which are closest....if both your midrange and tweet are equally as far from the drivers seat, they would require same delay. Obviously its not the most perfect scenario(it would be nice to have 4way individual speaker control), but this isd a simple way around it and it works fine.

Actually i recently measured my midbass and tweets(both in doors) and they are approx the exact same pathlength to me....so what I'm doing as we speak is i'm going to run an external 2/3way xover off my front ch's....hp the tweets amd bp the midbass off this analog xover-since they are same pathlengths, they can be delayed together off the full range signal i'll be sending it from my front channels.

I will then use my rear preouts on my hu and t/a and b/p my dome midranges- which i'm my situation works out well- i'll have 5band peq just on the midranges and be able to overlap freq's xover wise if need be:)
The midbass and tweets will have a 5band peq between them....which is fine- i only need a 1db cut at 100hz, 400hz , 5khz and 10khz....

alphakenny1
10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
^ Bah. That seems like a lot of work. I would do that if it wasn't for school. Maybe someday:( .

another question if you don't mind. how are you wiring your speakers to make the TA work? like whats going into the Front Left RCA and Front Right RCA? just say theoretically that you have a two channel amp to run the midbass and tweet, so wouldn't you have to put the Midbass left and Tweeter left in Front Left (or Hi Left) in channel 1, so you can adjust the TA on the deck for the Hi Left? because if you hook the tweet right and the tweet left in channel one, you can't adjust the TA at all because they would offset each other since they are on left and right of the listener.

lol dunno if that made any sense but answer if you can. And yea it'd be nice to have something like a DRZ9255 so it makes everything so much easier but hey it works for you. :2thumbs: for you.

3.5Max6spd
10-25-2005, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=alphakenny1]

another question if you don't mind. how are you wiring your speakers to make the TA work? like whats going into the Front Left RCA and Front Right RCA? just say theoretically that you have a two channel amp to run the midbass and tweet, so wouldn't you have to put the Midbass left and Tweeter left in Front Left (or Hi Left) in channel 1, so you can adjust the TA on the deck for the Hi Left? because if you hook the tweet right and the tweet left in channel one, you can't adjust the TA at all because they would offset each other since they are on left and right of the listener.
QUOTE]

Front channels send full range signal to xover---> xover has output for HP (tweeters) and output for BP (midbasses)---> those outputs are sent to the amps

All you need to T/A is the speakers closest to you- sitting inthe drivers seat that would mean the drivers side. If I T/A my front drivers side, that signal is delayed going into the x-over...get it?

alphakenny1
10-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Front channels send full range signal to xover---> xover has output for HP (tweeters) and output for BP (midbasses)---> those outputs are sent to the amps

All you need to T/A is the speakers closest to you- sitting inthe drivers seat that would mean the drivers side. If I T/A my front drivers side, that signal is delayed going into the x-over...get it?

Roger that. thanx.