PDA

View Full Version : Will I need a cooling fan

Dosh142
09-04-2005, 01:40 AM
I want to put my eclipse amp in a box of mdf so I can hide it in a false trunk maybe. The amp is 400 watts and it is the PA4212. Do you think I need to have a cooling fan?

bigexpo
09-04-2005, 01:47 AM
i dont know about puttin that amp in your box, are u talkin about the sub box that the sub is mounted to if so i wouldnt it would prob kill it and you really can access it well, plus id show my amp off there cool lookin machines and if you dont wanna look at it put it on the back of the box

flakko
09-04-2005, 01:54 AM
yea its always better with fans.

wow a false trunk. how much space do you have?

camry_tuner
09-04-2005, 01:55 AM
I want to put my eclipse amp in a box of mdf so I can hide it in a false trunk maybe. The amp is 400 watts and it is the PA4212. Do you think I need to have a cooling fan?

if it's going to be completely sealed, then u should get some form of cooling, or it will overheat. if its kind of open and allows for heat to dissapate(sp?) then u should be fine, but if its going to be in a false floor kinda thing, then i should get some cooling, a fan blowing air in and one blowing air out, comp fans should be sufficient. hope that helps. someone correct me if im wrong =P

camry_tuner
09-04-2005, 01:56 AM
yea its always better with fans.

wow a false trunk. how much space do you have?

i assumed he meant false floor

Dosh142
09-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Oops, I mean a false floor in my trunk. Um about wiring the fans... Everyone tells me to run a relay but I have another idea. I don't know much about electricity so please tell me if this circuit would work or not. I would run a wire from my amp to a resistor to bring the current down to 12v then I would connect a thermistor and then a fuse and then my fan. The first resistor would bring the current down to
12v then the thermistor would only allow current once the air temperature hits say 100 degrees F then the fuse would be there in case too much current was running to the fan. The negative wire would run back to my amp. Would this work?

LightningStryk7
09-06-2005, 02:29 AM
I think it would work. But you would have to run the negative wire to a new ground or the amps ground.

Dosh142
09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
No worries cuz my ground will be somewhere in my trunk so I won't have that far to go to ground the fans. One more question though, I i hook the fans up to the battery, then won't it split the power between those and my subs?

JimJ
09-06-2005, 09:28 PM
The current draw of the fans would be so low it's insignificant - unless you leave them on 24hrs a day :)

Dosh142
09-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Nope I will have a switch run to my center console and they will also be run to my remote wire on my head unit so the car has to be on and the switch has to be on for me to run them.