PDA

View Full Version : Under Powering of Speaker

mohoso98
09-03-2005, 01:30 AM
I am looking at purchasing some Infinity Kappa 693.71 6x9 3-way speakers. They have an impedance of 2ohms 100Wrms and 300Wp. I would only be using my Kenwood deck to power the speakers at the moment. I have been told that under powering speakers can actually damage them more than over powering them.

Any Thought??

Any other high quality speaker recommendations? Kappas are the only "high end" speaker that I know of.

JimJ
09-03-2005, 01:32 AM
I am looking at purchasing some Infinity Kappa 693.71 6x9 3-way speakers. They have an impedance of 2ohms 100Wrms and 300Wp. I would only be using my Kenwood deck to power the speakers at the moment. I have been told that under powering speakers can actually damage them more than over powering them.

Any Thought??

Any other high quality speaker recommendations? Kappas are the only "high end" speaker that I know of.

Whoever told you that underpowering a speaker will damage it is full of ****, to be perfectly honest. As long as the signal is unclipped, you will never damage a speaker by sending it well under the RMS.

T3mpest
09-03-2005, 04:53 PM
If you have an amp set correctly and it's RMS is equal to your speakers, the only time you aren't "underpowering" them is when your HU is at full volume (if that's how you set the gains). So no, it wont' hurt them.

adam71
09-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Whoever told you that underpowering a speaker will damage it is full of ****, to be perfectly honest. As long as the signal is unclipped, you will never damage a speaker by sending it well under the RMS.

Well that is what the person that told him that probably meant. So in a way that statement is correct. Even though it is NOT the power that will damage it the amp at clipping will if its over driven.