PDA

View Full Version : help, whys my speaker blowing my amp?

lotas
09-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Hard to describe in a title but heres the deal. I hooked my speaker up before it was in the door to make sure it worked and it did. Woo. So I set it in the door, and start screwing while its still playing. I screw in the top first or something, and then I goto screw in the opposite side. Naturally this is moving the speaker a certain way as I screw it. Well all of a sudden the speaker goes out, and the music is crackly and vague. Then if I pull out a little, taking pressure off of the speaker on one side, the music comes back on crisp and clear and full. Let go, back to crackly.

This process ends up blowing the right channel on my amp. What is going on here? I always wrap the terminals and connectors in electrical tape, so thats not it. Is somtehing else touching metal back there, grounding something out, and thats blowing the channel on my amp, or what? Any ideas I would appreciate them, thanks.

Raven
09-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Something is shorting out the speaker. It could be a lead is touching the basket and grounding out. Or the wires are already stripped / cut in a spot, and grounding when you get the speaker flush mounted.

The only thing I can recommend is run new wire.

SSS 18734
09-01-2005, 10:15 PM
are you sure the channel is blown? Check your fuses, if any are blown, its obvious you have a short in your system.

lotas
09-02-2005, 05:26 AM
are you sure the channel is blown? Check your fuses, if any are blown, its obvious you have a short in your system.
yeah its the amp cause the low ohm light keeps coming on, and that light comes on when the amp is damaged. my cousin repairs amps and HU's and such and I have to keep bringing it to him to fix it. I guess I will just run all new wire and see how she works (bleh). thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Raven
09-02-2005, 12:14 PM
The low ohm light will come on for a short, because it changes the imepance to around 0 ohms...

lotas
09-04-2005, 04:02 AM
The low ohm light will come on for a short, because it changes the imepance to around 0 ohms...
but doesnt the fact that im hearing it play fine and then hearing it short out (when I start to screw the speaker in) tell me that something is shorting out back there behind the speaker? What can I try to prevent this? I already wrap the terminals in electrical tape, I dont know what else it could be.

johnecon2001
09-04-2005, 07:02 AM
you may have damaged the actual speaker when you screwed it in.... maybe dont run it when your installing it next time. Check the opening the speaker sits in to see if somthing is poking out and into the speaker.

Ignatowski
09-04-2005, 10:34 AM
I had a set of Kenwoods that no matter what I did they acted funny
When I had em hooked up to an amp they popped and made all kinds of scary sounds
Then when I tried hooking them up to an HU they would shut down my HU into some sorta protect mode..... well,since they were only 50 bucks I decieded to smash them to tiny bits

req
09-04-2005, 11:28 AM
you might be putting that screw right into the terminals and shorting them out :laugh:

ive heard of people doing that before.

lotas
09-04-2005, 02:38 PM
you might be putting that screw right into the terminals and shorting them out :laugh:

ive heard of people doing that before.
that cant be it because the screws I use arent long enough to do that.

johnecon2001
09-04-2005, 02:56 PM
could have been catching on something and brining that into contact with the terminal...

theCybe
09-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Yep, your screw is probably catching something behind the baffle, and pulling it into your terminals (or somethin'.)

Welcome to the forum, douche. ;)

Trancer
09-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Its your Continium Transfunctioner

lotas
09-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Yep, your screw is probably catching something behind the baffle, and pulling it into your terminals (or somethin'.)

Welcome to the forum, douche. ;)
excuse me?