PDA

View Full Version : Midrange

T3mpest
09-01-2005, 03:07 AM
I'm looking for a nice and sensative midrange driver. I'm soon going to be doing a 3 way horn install and I'm doing my best to keep up with some cd-2 neos. They'll be in a small sealed kickpanel, powers no issue. I'd like to keep the price below 600 per pair if at all possible. Probably 5.25 to avoid beaming issues, but I could go bigger if I "had" to.

OlogyAudio
09-01-2005, 03:18 AM
I'm looking for a nice and sensative midrange driver. I'm soon going to be doing a 3 way horn install and I'm doing my best to keep up with some cd-2 neos. They'll be in a small sealed kickpanel, powers no issue. I'd like to keep the price below 600 per pair if at all possible. Probably 5.25 to avoid beaming issues, but I could go bigger if I "had" to.
600 per pair for everything or just mids?

squeak9798
09-01-2005, 11:45 AM
For horns you don't really want anything smaller than a 6.5" for a pure midrange. Two things generally needed in a midrange to keep up with horns; cone area and efficiency. Since they aren't playing high at all, you could even get away with some 8's for pure midrange.

If you can find some; Audax PR170M0 are probably one of your best options. I'm not sure if Zalytron (www.zalytron.com) or Madisound have any in stock or not.

A little more expensive, but the PHL 1120 or 1660 for 6.5" mids. Or the PHL 2520 if you wanna step up to an 8".

www.e-speakers.com used to carry them.

Honestly if you could find the Audax's somewhere, those would be your best bet. Heard nothing but good things about them when matched with horns. PHL are supposed to be slightly better....but the price difference is too great to justify the PHL's if you can find the Audax.

Off the top of my head those are the best options I can think of that wouldn't cause you to majorly choke off your horns for proper level matching.

3.5Max6spd
09-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Lots of choices, in drivers or large domes...Check into Scans, Audio technolgy, Accuton...

what freqrange are you looking to cover?

OlogyAudio
09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Heard some insanely good sounding PHL + AC ribbon MTMs at DIY dayton last year... lacking midbass in a serious way but one of the best sounding most smooth setups there... one of the more expensive too though... Not cheap :)

I say PHL > Audax as a general blanket statement... if you have something to take over at 200hz or 250hz and play down to where the subs leave off ;)

squeak9798
09-01-2005, 01:38 PM
if you have something to take over at 200hz or 250hz and play down to where the subs leave off ;)

Yeah.....neither the PHL or Audax will handle midbass frequencies well. Dedicated midbass definitely required :D

squeak9798
09-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Lots of choices, in drivers or large domes...Check into Scans, Audio technolgy, Accuton...

But all of those are low efficiency (comparatively speaking)........

The higher efficiency the better when dealing with mating something with horns.

T3mpest
09-01-2005, 03:18 PM
I thought I might have to go bigger, I just love my floor room:mad: Oh well, I'll live, 3-way horns come before comfort:yumyum:

PS.600 just on drivers.

OlogyAudio
09-01-2005, 04:54 PM
I thought I might have to go bigger, I just love my floor room:mad: Oh well, I'll live, 3-way horns come before comfort:yumyum:

PS.600 just on drivers.

Seas MCA 5.5" or seas MP 5" midranges aren't too shabby if you have 2 of them per side... 4 ohm if ya do that and about 96dB/w/m -- smaller footprint -- need next to no airspace due to the very low low qts... -- or 2 smaller PHL... :) -- get them close and have them equidistant from your ears within about 2cm of eachother and you will be fine :)

T3mpest
09-02-2005, 02:43 AM
Seas MCA 5.5" or seas MP 5" midranges aren't too shabby if you have 2 of them per side... 4 ohm if ya do that and about 96dB/w/m -- smaller footprint -- need next to no airspace due to the very low low qts... -- or 2 smaller PHL... :) -- get them close and have them equidistant from your ears within about 2cm of eachother and you will be fine :)
Even if they were close together, I'd still worry the imaging, midrange is critical for imaging. Might be something to consider though. Beaming would't be as much of an issue...

OlogyAudio
09-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Even if they were close together, I'd still worry the imaging, midrange is critical for imaging. Might be something to consider though. Beaming would't be as much of an issue...
Well if you install them properly imaging is not an issue... The only possible issue is lobing... which again is a non issue with a good install and a low enough xover frequency...