PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl junkies...get in here.

JimJ
08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Thinking about purchasing my first turntable soon, because as we all know, analog > digital for SQ ;)...one of these, to be exact: http://www.musichallaudio.com/downloads/images/mmf5.jpg

Does anyone have experiences with vinyl they'd like to share? Specifically, I'm going to be in need of a phono preamp and a cartridge...some general hints and tips would also be appreciated as this is going to be my first foray with a "real" 'table.

turnstylez18
08-31-2005, 03:41 PM
hey...r u using it just listening? or like scratching n all that? cuz i had tecnics 1200s..but i sold it...but for a budget get the numark tt200 and a shure m447...
i dunno if thats what u need though..but those r good for mixing and battling..
but shure needles r the best imo

netherland24
08-31-2005, 03:42 PM
i have a 1947 world war 2 magnovox record player. it still works speakers look NEW. they are extermly nice.

JimJ
08-31-2005, 03:45 PM
hey...r u using it just listening?

Just for listening purposes...

Prowler573
08-31-2005, 03:48 PM
I don't know that particular table but it looks to have a lot of the same things I like about my HK incorporated into it...

Weighted feet with shock absorption....adjustable 'weight' on the arm - probably has an bias adjustment (a fine tune for the actual revolution speed)

I'll be of no help with a phono preamp....my HT receiver has a phono input with a selection for ceramic or electronic stylus t/tables...and my stylus is still the OEM HK stylus that was installed in the playhead when it was built.

I looooooove my old albums - both the ones of notable worth and the ones that aren't worth a plug nickel to anyone but me.

Enjoy! (though I don't think I need to tell you that - you will anyway ;) )

theCybe
08-31-2005, 03:54 PM
What made you choose that table? Is it directly or magnetically driven?

noob with an RS
08-31-2005, 03:56 PM
******* that mmf-5 is 500 dollars? that's more than the technics 1200. ive alwys wanted 1200s.. for DJ purposes though not just listening.. i wonder if that mmf-5 has "better SQ" than 1200s. if not id say picc up a 1200 and when u get tired of listening to your old schoolness u can use them to scratch around. haahah

JimJ
08-31-2005, 04:04 PM
What made you choose that table? Is it directly or magnetically driven?

It's belt driven...seems to get excellent reviews as one of the best value tables out there. Other ones I was looking at was the Rega Planar 3, Thorens TD160, and the Pro-ject 3.

I don't care about battling/scratching, that's not what this system is set up to do ;)

60ndown
08-31-2005, 04:04 PM
http://www.theturntablefactory.com/index.html

JimJ
08-31-2005, 04:12 PM
http://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=96&c=ACCT106601&h=36777e31a443055b94ae&ck=gK2SgsirAHjaFqy8&vid=xlJWWe6rAC5bDp5Y&cktime=4004

That is a sweet looking 'table. At $1.7k, it's a little out of my budget, though ;)

bimma85
09-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Got a B&O beogram rx with an mmc5 stylus(just sold the same one that I believe was new on ebay for $120). LMK if you're interested. Also know someone selling a lafayette tube amp with tung sol tubes(spelling) for pretty dam cheap, dunno if it work though. Along with a chit load of other stuff.

JimJ
09-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Tung Sols, huh...can you get pics? I could be interested, for parts at the very least :)

bimma85
09-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Tung Sols, huh...can you get pics? I could be interested, for parts at the very least :)
Sure can, will get em tomorrow. You want pics of the whole thing or just the tung sols? Also maybe you can answer my question. Just got a butt load of home/pro audio and was hooking up a carver m1.5t power amp to the c-1 preamp. And it just kept playing at full blast, even with the preamps volume at 0. :crazy: :crying: Chits driving me crazy.

JimJ
09-01-2005, 12:31 AM
I could be interested in the whole thing, for parts or a working amp if I can get it working...

As for your question, do you have all the wires going to the correct places? :) I know it's n00bish, but it's gotten me a few times before...

bimma85
09-01-2005, 12:36 AM
I could be interested in the whole thing, for parts or a working amp if I can get it working...

As for your question, do you have all the wires going to the correct places? :) I know it's n00bish, but it's gotten me a few times before...
Uh I believe so, me =complete noob to home audio :crap:. Never have the money to spend on it. And whenever I pick up stuff like this I always need $ :(.

I did cd player out to preamps aux1 in. Then I did the tape 1 output on the preamp to the amps input. Also the preamp is a magnetic field power amp, if that matters and has tons of of buttons that have me clueless. If you can help that'd be awesome. Or else I will be searching 4ever.

JimJ
09-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Pics would help...

thylantyr
09-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Thinking about purchasing my first turntable soon

Make sure you get a universal one that plays MP3, SACD and DVD-A.

:handclap: :ban: :2thumbs: :wallbash:

djman37
09-01-2005, 01:03 PM
hey...r u using it just listening? or like scratching n all that? cuz i had tecnics 1200s..but i sold it...but for a budget get the numark tt200 and a shure m447...
i dunno if thats what u need though..but those r good for mixing and battling..
but shure needles r the best imo

did you even LOOK at the pic of his turntable? He's looking into audiophile turntables, not DJ battling.

I dunno about the glass platter. Resonant freq may work in its favor though.
I'd have to break out my old stereo review mags to look for cart info.

djman37
09-01-2005, 01:13 PM
this guy needledoctor has got a lot of tables for sure.

http://www.needledoctor.com/app/site/site.nl/site.ACCT106601/mode.items/sc.2/category.5/.f;jsessionid

some cost as much as a CAR, but they look cool!

JimJ
09-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Thinking about purchasing my first turntable soon

Make sure you get a universal one that plays MP3, SACD and DVD-A.

:handclap: :ban: :2thumbs: :wallbash:

You n00b. You know nussing! Nussing, I tells you!

:D

As for the glass platter, I've heard that replacing it with an acrylic platter double the thickness improves the sound - although I'm sure I could experiment with different materials.

djman37
09-01-2005, 05:11 PM
from the needledoctor about your turntable

"Price includes tonearm and Goldring 1012GX cartridge"

thylantyr
09-01-2005, 05:47 PM
You n00b. You know nussing! Nussing, I tells you!

NAZI :cool:

Nussing About Zaudio Itells you!

:toast:

adam71
09-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Here are a few that may be a little more in your price range. I'm also on the market for a turntable and the first one I've linked is what I'm leaning toward.:cool:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMHMMF5

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=WSMHBEL

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMHMMF

There is alot more on that site but there are some upward of 30k.....wow

djman37
09-02-2005, 10:11 PM
http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=WSMHBEL

I like that one, matching tube preamp.:yumyum:

adam71
09-02-2005, 10:15 PM
I like that one, matching tube preamp.:yumyum:

Yep, that one is quite nice. Do you have vinyl collection?? or are you just getting into it.??:)

Oh that question also refers to Jack.

JimJ
09-03-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm just getting into it...my dad has boxes and boxes of albums from the '60s to the '80s, but he got rid of his turntable when we moved seven or eight years ago. So they haven't been played since then.

I figure now that I've got the rest of the system that's up to par, why be content with digital? :)

Eugenics
09-03-2005, 03:03 PM
got a couple of Stanton STR8-30s' like em alot, direct drive (even though i know you dont care) good quality, etc. the needle they come with is more sq oriented (if i remember correctly). i'd check out one of these.

adam71
09-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm just getting into it...my dad has boxes and boxes of albums from the '60s to the '80s,

Wow, I'm jealous as hell of that.;)

I figure now that I've got the rest of the system that's up to par, why be content with digital? :)

I hear that. About 2 years ago I never thought I would get into vinyl until I met one of my best friends who happened to have a decent little turntable with a Sunfire tube amp and preamp. Since then I've been collecting vinyl but I only have 20 or 30 because I'm not going to collect ALL vinyl, just the ones that I think I would actually listen to. Now I have to find a decent table to replace my Phillips el cheapo from the 70s.:laugh:

So what do you think about the tables I linked you??:D

JimJ
09-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Did you read my first post in the thread? :D

I've all but decided on the MMF-5...not only is it a drop-dead gorgeous piece of audio gear, it seems to have a lot of cool bells 'n whistles for the price.

Now I just need to find a good phono stage...probably end up with one of these: http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Seduction/seduction.htm

adam71
09-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok Jack, I have a question. If I were to go with a MMF 5 and a phono pre amp with it, how would I use that with my existing receiver?? Or am I stuck with getting a seperate 2 channel amp and incorporating a completely different system. In other words, my Denon receiver is essentially already a preamp and amp so could I use the phono pre amp and then the pre amp on the receiver in conjunction with each other or what?? I'm confused with this.:confused:

JimJ
09-04-2005, 06:33 PM
The phono stage takes the impedance and level from the turntable and converts it into the impedance and level a regular line input is going to look for. Like a CD player or FM tuner.

If you have an onboard phono preamp on the Denon, you could skip the outboard one...but alas, almost no receivers built in the last ten years have phono stages worth a ****.