PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood HU De-Install Question

ChrisCan
08-31-2005, 08:25 AM
Hello,

I have an older Kenwood Excelon head (maybe it is from like 1995) unit that I really love and want to keep. I will probably get rid of the car it is in, so I am wondering if there is a way to remove it without the "extractor keys" (those thin metal things that you use to get the unit out) that came with the unit? I also want to be able to get to the CD-Changer cable (I have a 10 disk Kenwood changer, too) and RCA cables, so I can re-use those (good cables aren't cheap)

I asked a local audio installer if they had the extractor keys and they refused to give them to me, I think there is policy against it.

Please help! I don't really want to invest in a new HU.

Chris

Prowler573
08-31-2005, 08:35 AM
I ran across a similar problem - see if you can find some very thin-bladed paring knives to slip into the notches where the extractor keys are supposed to go.

Justin89T
08-31-2005, 12:25 PM
Hello,

I have an older Kenwood Excelon head (maybe it is from like 1995) unit that I really love and want to keep. I will probably get rid of the car it is in, so I am wondering if there is a way to remove it without the "extractor keys" (those thin metal things that you use to get the unit out) that came with the unit? I also want to be able to get to the CD-Changer cable (I have a 10 disk Kenwood changer, too) and RCA cables, so I can re-use those (good cables aren't cheap)

I asked a local audio installer if they had the extractor keys and they refused to give them to me, I think there is policy against it.

Please help! I don't really want to invest in a new HU.

Chris

there may be a policy against it at that store, or they're just being assholes.

when someone drives upto me and asks if i can pull their radio out, i say SURE, I can give you 30 seconds of my time, cuz then next time you want to buy somthing you'll probally remember i was a helpfull guy

:dunno: Just me I guess

try the knife thing, or give me your address and i'll throw a few in an envelope and mail 'em to ya

ChrisCan
09-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Hey- thanks for offering to mail me the extractors:veryhapp: .

I actually decided to just try with a couple of butter knives and that worked ok; no problems just had to spend 2-3 minutes to slip them in the right spot; I have everything open and access to all the connectors (actually the radio is out, too, and have started to install in the replacement vehicle).

Thanks again!