PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good midbass...

guy022077
08-30-2005, 10:14 PM
i dont know what i am talking about but i know i dont like how my speakers sound without my subs going. I didnt know my subs were working so hard . I want to hear the slipknot double bass drum a little in my speakers and not have my subs doing all the work....... i read this post: http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85634&highlight=Peerless

but i am curious about what the dimensions are. what is A,B,C? speaker depth and size and ? i am leaning toward the daytons but not sute if they will fit..i have not picked tweeters yet and they will be powered by viper or directed not sure which yet,also not sure if amp crossover will be good enough yet either..any input on a good midbass or mid driver for front and rear would be great..thanks all 6.5 all around but i think i can fit a 7but ill know soon enough

bri487
08-30-2005, 10:20 PM
i say just go with a good set of comps. i think you would be much happier in the end.

OlogyAudio
08-30-2005, 11:59 PM
i say just go with a good set of comps. i think you would be much happier in the end.
x2 that -- an upgrade would be superior... possibly a nice 3 way set...?

guy022077
08-31-2005, 08:38 AM
what would be the differance? if i get 4 mids and 4 tweeters VS 2 comp sets.....its still 4 6.5's and 4 tweets....

x2 that -- an upgrade would be superior... possibly a nice 3 way set...?
i dont have room for a nice 3 way set..i dont have room for kick panels and i dont want to do a door build..im trying to look stock at a glance....

guy022077
08-31-2005, 01:11 PM
lunch bump

OlogyAudio
08-31-2005, 09:54 PM
lunch bump
oh you are replacing the midbas driver not getting an extra... -- yea just get a better 2 way component set thn...

guy022077
08-31-2005, 10:11 PM
ok..but why can't i just get four of these and 4 of some tweeter? why is a comp set better then just buying what 4 mids and 4 tweeters?
http://www.partsexpress.com/images/295-364m.jpg

OlogyAudio
08-31-2005, 10:22 PM
ok..but why can't i just get four of these and 4 of some tweeter? why is a comp set better then just buying what 4 mids and 4 tweeters?
http://www.partsexpress.com/images/295-364m.jpg

The passive xovers need to be designed properly... If you run active with those drivers in particular it won't work out properly unless you use some high band eqs :) (or you don't mind a hole near the xover frequency -- or peaks -- you pick) -- you are in luck though since there are some component sets already designed with the dayton rs drivers ;) -- you have a PM

guy022077
08-31-2005, 10:43 PM
i keep hearing they need a lot of EQ could i use this for that...i own this now and was gonna get the power supply converted..if i use this can i skip passive xoves alltogether?

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/sr231-c0d91e290fc9ef4705ccaaac036fd93e.jpg

bamaboy
08-31-2005, 11:38 PM
^WOW

my rainbows have good midbass :)

Eugenics
08-31-2005, 11:43 PM
i dont think you've really thought this one out. listen to me.. "better in theory"

besides that you just said you want everything to look stock, big *** eq's sad to say do not look stock

audiolife
09-01-2005, 12:07 AM
90% of your mid bass is install...... period .

OlogyAudio
09-01-2005, 01:13 AM
i keep hearing they need a lot of EQ could i use this for that...i own this now and was gonna get the power supply converted..if i use this can i skip passive xoves alltogether?

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/sr231-c0d91e290fc9ef4705ccaaac036fd93e.jpg
Indeed you can -- so long as you have an active setup that can manage atleast 4th order you can pull it off... will be FUN ;)

Eugenics
09-01-2005, 02:35 AM
well... you can buy the ologys now at a cheap price... or you can wait till he goes public and pay rainbow prices, your choice

OlogyAudio
09-01-2005, 03:22 AM
well... you can buy the ologys now at a cheap price... or you can wait till he goes public and pay rainbow prices, your choice

Well they will still be a little cheaper... not much... :) -- Distributors will take their markup -- and retail will take their markup... right now you sort of skip all that...

guy022077
09-01-2005, 08:19 AM
i dont think you've really thought this one out. listen to me.. "better in theory"
besides that you just said you want everything to look stock, big *** eq's sad to say do not look stock
it will look stock to everone without Xray vision. it will be under my rear deck in the trunk....its not as if i was gonna put it on my dash. Better in theory? so this would not be better or atleast as good? keep in mind i dont have to buy this i have it now...so if its between great that i own or ****** that i have to buy...ill take great. i have not thought it through i am thinking it through now, thats why i am asking about it.

90% of your mid bass is install...... period .
how do you mean? what can i do install wise to a door to get better mid bass?

so long as you have an active setup that can manage atleast 4th order you can pull it off... will be FUN
not quite clear on what you mean by handle? that eq is only stereo i guess i could dump the 4 channel and get a 2 channel amp thats 1ohm stereo stable or keep the 4 channel and split the signal and lose my front rear fade.

what would happen if i used the xovers i have now but replaced the speakers? just because they came with the speaker does that mean the ywill **** with diff speakers. I am not a cheapass (well i am a little) i just dont want to spend 100's or 1000' of $$ if i dont have to. and if i can spend 0 money and 2 days tuning with that huge eq i have then ill do that.

guy022077
09-01-2005, 10:33 AM
morning bump

audiolife
09-01-2005, 12:36 PM
before you buy anything or, care about its crossover you have to make sure what the mid bass driver likes. some speakers like sealed, some ib etc etc. read http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=95925 at least the deadening and the baffle will be needed to start getting favorable results.. people always seem to want to pick the "best speaker" rather than looking at what is best for their particular set up or mainly what is best for the driver they pick. mid bass is a response not a tweak so design for such. this is why alot of good to decent speakers get called out as having no-to-poor mid bass when indeed they can have real good response in that region if designed/prepared for at least half way decent. some worse drivers require less some great drivers require more sealing off of the door. there is no eq or xover made that will compensate for this. this is also a main reason alot of people have get such varied results with the "same" equipment or why some people get better results with inferior equipment.

Mikey Likes It
09-01-2005, 12:47 PM
what do You need midabss for??

audiolife
09-01-2005, 12:50 PM
what do You need midabss for??
2 main reasons it pulls bass up front and adds snap .

guy022077
09-01-2005, 01:49 PM
2 main reasons it pulls bass up front and adds snap .
and that is exactly what i am trying to accomplish..but if it brings it up front maybe i only need to do the front and not all around...hmmmm...i did do most of what you said in your above post. i have a speaker in its optimal location with optimal power and it IB and i still get mediocre response thats why i want a midbass in the frist place.

OlogyAudio
09-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Well if your active xover is the head unit you need another stereo set of EQ :) -- if it is an external active xover that EQ will be fine... though EQ for each driver independently would be superior.

audiolife
09-01-2005, 03:24 PM
and that is exactly what i am trying to accomplish..but if it brings it up front maybe i only need to do the front and not all around...hmmmm...i did do most of what you said in your above post. i have a speaker in its optimal location with optimal power and it IB and i still get mediocre response thats why i want a midbass in the frist place.
well according to an audio control rta with my measly little 5 1/4"'s running full range i can run 20hz-20k (although slightly down at 20k and its would still rake a 37 on the iasca rta scale according to the meter) with them just playing. ask squeak my midbass isnt "lacking" at all. it can be speaker dependant as per how you optimally installed it. with memphis its VERY forgiving on the most part. i dont know which mclass componentsyou have but between the multi syncs and the mcsq they usually are flat except at 800 hz and 20k in optimal set ups. without tweaking they sound nassely due to the dip they have at 800 hz (easy fix with an eq). when i talked to memphis they told me to membrane them (ap style) my old firebird (has 5 8" multisyncs shares alot of the same characteristics as my 5's and they are in all large sealed enclosures. best way i can tell you is if your speakers can do what you want (as of now) play alot of drum tracks if ANYWHERE its doing what you want its more than likely tweekable if not then a change of set up is more than likely needed. you always have to see what the speaker can do before you tweak it if it cant pull up solidly the midbass region then the set up is wrong for it to respond like you want. alot of 6.5's can bring up pretty decent to awesome output from 70-150 hz and im not talking about 300 dollar midbasses

guy022077
09-02-2005, 08:10 AM
how do i determine what a speaker likes in terms or IB or sealed etc...

audiolife
09-02-2005, 08:48 AM
the speaker companies tech support is a good place to start

guy022077
09-02-2005, 12:28 PM
the speaker companies tech support is a good place to start
i know..i was just hoping there was some spec i could look at first....thanks

audiolife
09-02-2005, 12:55 PM
i know..i was just hoping there was some spec i could look at first....thanks
specs are not the end all be all to anything. when i talked to memphis they said 5.25's in the kicks and to use a membrane behind them. in a door you can do the same thing even if you used a foam baffle cup and did a few other things to seal it open up the back end a tad and used fiberglass insulation or some tightly packed poly fill. even if you were going to switch its not a bad idea to talk to tech support before you buy.;) that is what they are there for. you are probably wanting 6.5's butstill worth talking about over with a tech

guy022077
09-02-2005, 01:53 PM
hmm...good point.....thats what ill do then.....thanks.

guy022077
09-02-2005, 06:36 PM
would it be an awful idea to split the signal from my eq since i dont have 2 of them?

guy022077
09-03-2005, 08:25 PM
oh heck with it...im just gonna buy some xovers from parts express and the daytons and some tweeters and viola done

guy022077
09-07-2005, 12:10 PM
guess im going with cadence...i foudn some for 300 perset for 80 on ebay..so i hope they dont ****