PDA

View Full Version : Should I get an Eclipse?

Dosh142
08-29-2005, 12:59 AM
A guy at my local audio store helped me pick out head units the other day. I didn't want to spend over 200 bucks so he told me to get this one eclipse. This eclipse doesn't have a low pass or high pass filter, and i told him this but he said it didn't matter. Do you think I should get a Sony that has a high and low pass filter, or should I get the Eclipse?

air_odie
08-29-2005, 07:34 AM
which eclipse unit? which sony unit??

Eclipses sound more natural then most decks but without knowing which two you are compareing no one will be able to make an educated call on either.

3.5Max6spd
08-29-2005, 10:58 AM
if it doesnt look like it has the features you want, look elsewhere or other models

saywhat?
08-29-2005, 11:11 AM
get it...wohoo they are great units.

Dosh142
08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
I will get the models later tonight. But... Do you think I need to have a high and low pass filter? And what makes Eclipses SO GOOD???

JLCivic
08-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I will get the models later tonight. But... Do you think I need to have a high and low pass filter? And what makes Eclipses SO GOOD???

they just sound so **** nice.:)

Justintoxicated
08-30-2005, 02:47 AM
get a CD5444 for around $200 it does not have a "high pass filer" but it does have an active X-over which is better anyways.

SQ is great!

There is a model last year one series higher for an additional $100, that I would love to find. If you find it and buy one I would sell you my CD5444 for $200 + the difference. Mine is like new only had it a short while... I love this HU now that I have my PAC-SWIX working with it. Theres only a few HU's I would trade for that are less than $600.

I do not like the new eclispe HU's as much as last years, the build quality just is not there.

SQ might be though, but it's just My Opinion. I had them side by side and the new ones felt and looked cheaper. Including the way they opened and closed. Last years was more simple, but I like the nice simple display it is very effective at getting the job done without looking ricy. For around $200 the CD5444 is REALLY hard to beat!

3.5Max6spd
08-30-2005, 11:38 AM
get a CD5444 for around $200 it does not have a "high pass filer" but it does have an active X-over which is better anyways.

SQ is great!

There is a model last year one series higher for an additional $100, that I would love to find. If you find it and buy one I would sell you my CD5444 for $200 + the difference. Mine is like new only had it a short while... I love this HU now that I have my PAC-SWIX working with it. Theres only a few HU's I would trade for that are less than $600.

I do not like the new eclispe HU's as much as last years, the build quality just is not there.

SQ might be though, but it's just My Opinion. I had them side by side and the new ones felt and looked cheaper. Including the way they opened and closed. Last years was more simple, but I like the nice simple display it is very effective at getting the job done without looking ricy. For around $200 the CD5444 is REALLY hard to beat!

your opinion or not, i've yet to hear of ANY faulty '05 HU's.... speaking of build quality

adam71
08-30-2005, 06:30 PM

:uhoh: Uhhhhhh....just a friendly FYI.....but a high pass filter is a part of an active crossover.:)

Justintoxicated
08-30-2005, 09:32 PM
:uhoh: Uhhhhhh....just a friendly FYI.....but a high pass filter is a part of an active crossover.:)

Yea but it is not JUST a high pass filter.

I have heard of Problems with the new eclipse HU's. In fact I went to buy one and the dealer said he had several returned and suggested I wait a few months for a confirmed fix. Eclipse has corrected the issue since then. The feel of the new HU's is just NOT as solid as last years. I have even heard people say the knobs vibrate when their stereo hits sometimes.

Put last years side by side with this years and hit the open button on each of them and you will see what I mean

They are still good HU's though.

I was suggesting he gets last years because of the huge break in price of getting something older, and I feel the HU's were built better AND look better having the brushed aluminum look, ruberized knobs etc. Plus it has an Active X-over which sounds like what he is looking for if not better.

3.5Max6spd
08-30-2005, 09:57 PM
I have heard of Problems with the new eclipse HU's. In fact I went to buy one and the dealer said he had several returned and suggested I wait a few months for a confirmed fix. Eclipse has corrected the issue since then. The feel of the new HU's is just NOT as solid as last years. I have even heard people say the knobs vibrate when their stereo hits sometimes.

Please dont talk shyt for shyt talking's sake. If there's problem , list it.
News to me. Mine was the first batch that ever made it to a distributor. And since release NONE have gone back, zero issues around this way to date. Try the forums, i see no issues.

Put last years side by side with this years and hit the open button on each of them and you will see what I mean.

Been there done that- dont get where you are coming from, sorry. I've been installing Eclipse decks every other weekend for the better part of the last 2 yrs.
My 8455 moves indentically mechanically as the 8454's I've installed. Matter a fact , the cd slot, memory card opening behind the face is IDENTICAL, hasn't changed-

I came from an 8443, I should know.

adam71
08-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Please dont talk shyt for shyt talking's sake. If there's problem , list it.
News to me. Mine was the first batch that ever made it to a distributor. And since release NONE have gone back, zero issues around this way to date. Try the forums, i see no issues.

Been there done that- dont get where you are coming from, sorry. I've been installing Eclipse decks every other weekend for the better part of the last 2 yrs.
My 8455 moves indentically mechanically as the 8454's I've installed. Matter a fact , the cd slot, memory card opening behind the face is IDENTICAL, hasn't changed-

I came from an 8443, I should know.

Ha ha......I knew what he said was going to **** you off.........Hey, Eclipse called and they want your lips off their butt. :moon:

Justintoxicated
08-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Well I had them both in front of me and the CD5444 opened smoother than the CD5455. The CD5455 did NOT feel solid to me, Just My Opinion. If I needed the features on the CD5455 I would still get it. but I would probably look into other HU's as well.

Just My Opinion, your welcome to have your own. I swear it even appeared the CD5444 opened a bit farther than the CD5455. the Look and feel of the new HU is also cheaper, I guess they had to cut expenses somewhere to add a fancy Display and more features.

I did not get specific information on the problem they had witht he first CD5455's sold, I do know the dealer I went to had problems and had to send a few back and did NOT want to sell me one untill the issue was resolved. (Last time he sold me a bad product I came back and had him fix it 6 times lol)

netherland24
08-30-2005, 10:36 PM
i got the 5444 hu its preddy

3.5Max6spd
08-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Well I had them both in front of me and the CD5444 opened smoother than the CD5455. The CD5455 did NOT feel solid to me, Just My Opinion. If I needed the features on the CD5455 I would still get it. but I would probably look into other HU's as well.

Just My Opinion, your welcome to have your own. I swear it even appeared the CD5444 opened a bit farther than the CD5455. the Look and feel of the new HU is also cheaper, I guess they had to cut expenses somewhere to add a fancy Display and more features.

I did not get specific information on the problem they had witht he first CD5455's sold, I do know the dealer I went to had problems and had to send a few back and did NOT want to sell me one untill the issue was resolved. (Last time he sold me a bad product I came back and had him fix it 6 times lol)

Probably because 5455's DONT exist....

He probaly lied as he couldn't stock'm . For the first 2-3 months of release they were all called for as distributors were taking preorders. Some dealers are known to lie...

JLCivic
08-30-2005, 11:39 PM
The local shop has had zero issues with 05 eclipses afaik. They have been moving quite a few of them.

Justintoxicated
08-31-2005, 04:03 AM
Sorry Got the Model number mixed up....But only because you posted CD5455 before you edited your posts :P 8455... not sure what you are trying to prove by being an ***

Maybe your right maybe not, but he had no reason to lie to me when I was ready to pay him cash. Why would ANY retailer tell me to wait a couple months untill the problem was fixed other than he didn't want me to be coming back there Like I had when there was a problem before? It is not like he was trying to sell me on something else. Like I said I did not have problems with the HU myself, this is what I was told by someone else and aso heard something on another forum. I just don't care for the new look and it felt cheaper to me, thats all. Eclipse is still among the best HU's made and I would take them anyday over an alpine. I doubt the SQ has changed.

The thing is this. I believe Eclipse is located in Long Beach, and that is where I live. So if the first units shipped had a problem then it is likely we would be the first to find out. Perhaps it was something minor and they quickly fixed the issue. I would take the CD8454 over any of this years units myself. One thing the new HU's have over last years (other than the 8454), is a PAUSE button. Thats the only thing that is really killing me is having no PAUSE Button..

Ummmm Hello Eclipse! NO FREAKIN PAUSE! WTF! You can give us a MUTE but no pause?

Look man, I own an eclipse and Highly recomend their HU's so don't go aorund saying I'm talking **** about their products. I DO like my HU, but I will also complain about the things it does not excel in, such as.

- No Pause Button
- Poor Remote Sensitivity (Hell of a time finding a location for the LED on the PAC SWIX to keep steering wheel controlls) Most other HU's do not require the remote to be pointed right at teh sensor, and most other HU's don't have a recessed sensor (not sure if this is the same on the 05's but When I called eclipse they told me they were basicaly the same) This is not to say the remote is hard to use, but your not going to be able to change the volume pointing the remote at the roof from below the HU a few feet. (not much issues unless you have steering wheel controlls you want to keep or Need good remote reception)

- Memory stick is worthless on mine, more functional on the new ones, but in either case the size limitations and Proprietary recording format (non-MP3 for recording CD's to the stick through the HU) combined with the lack of the ability to play MP3's from the memory stick blows. Yea so I can save my Key Code ont he stick and back it up on the computer...but big deal.

- on mine I am also not able to Fade Front to rear while using T-align, not sure about the new HU's but it would be nice to at least be able to turn off the rear speakers without switching out of advanced mode (no X-over no EQ no T-align) to fade the speakers to the front.

Other than these things I love my HU. The Sound coming from it amazes me and it matches the interior of my truck well, and seems to be built very sturdy. Metal Gears with nice tight tolerances, and a bright crisp display.

mikegett
09-02-2005, 11:36 PM
I have owned five eclipse HU's since 2000. My previous was the 8454 which was upgraded to a 8455. I will state that the 8455 was the first eclipse HU that I experienced a problem with. I am not sure of what caused my problems, but there were a few issues. However, a quick call to eclipse was all I needed. The customer service even offered to mail out the brand new replacement 2nd day air. There will always be issues with any model produced. This is where buying retail over a ebay special can be so important.
I can personaly say that the build quality does not seem to have been changed on the 05 units. I owned the 8454 for one week overlapping my 8455. The 05 appears to be made with identicle motor assemblies as the 04. I found no difference with this portion of the unit. I have never experienced a rattling of my nobs. The 05 no longer has the annoying delay of the 04 units and adds a customized mode to e-iserve. The custom mode gives full control of every function. The crossover is no longer in steps but is fully user selectable at any frequency. I am not sure of how your HUs time alignment works. If it has a decible setting in the time alignment, then you can fade. You select the speaker and lower the decible. In stereo subwoofer mode, you can even fade two subwoofers.
I prefer the 04 appearance, but I strongly feel that the 05's are a nearly perfect deck for the money. And yes, there is a pause button on the 8455.
As for the original question; I suggest you buy the features you want. Eclipse is a good company, but that does not mean the model fits your requirements. If it was me, I would never buy a HU without a HP and LP. But, I would also same enough money to have 3-way setup. Time alignment, full crossovers, and parametric eq's are extremely handy. I owned the 8454 deck for one year and never even used them. Once I overcame my timidness, I could not imagine being without. Add another set of RCA's for real four way, ditch the crappy sirius tuner, and make the display a bit more vivid and it would be perfect. Of course, if it looked like a 04 alpine it wouldn't hurt.

Semi-Auto
09-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Probably because 5455's DONT exist....

He probaly lied as he couldn't stock'm . For the first 2-3 months of release they were all called for as distributors were taking preorders. Some dealers are known to lie...
They had 1 8445 left after only 3 days of release
this must be some good *****

adam71
09-13-2005, 01:46 AM
They had 1 8445 left after only 3 days of release
this must be some good *****

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: