PDA

View Full Version : anybody wanna help with my box? (local)

saywhat?
08-26-2005, 09:52 PM
is there anyone in mississippi.louisiana. alabama that wants to help me build my box. i want it to be NICE so if u cant do good work....please dont reply lol. im in hattiesburg mississippi, so if ur within an hour or so id be down to meet u, or help pay for ur gas to me or whatever. i have a table saw, just dont know where my drill ended up and maybe i need a nail gun if possible.

mikescanlon
08-26-2005, 10:39 PM
nail guns are for roofing, you need a drill for box building, and glue.

dont use fricken nails.

saywhat?
08-26-2005, 10:43 PM

dont use fricken nails.

u obviouslyknow nothing. i will not waste my time.

mikescanlon
08-26-2005, 10:48 PM
i know how to build a box, thats for **** sure.

you need drywall screws.

<shrug>

glue + nails wont be as good as

screws +glue

iceteebone
08-26-2005, 10:51 PM
i know how to build a box, thats for **** sure.

you need drywall screws.

<shrug>

glue + nails wont be as good as

screws +glue

screws are just added to the box to hold the pieces of wood together so the glue will set. if you build the box properly shouldn't have to have any screws in it.

saywhat?
08-26-2005, 10:58 PM
thank you iceteebone. the reason for nails is because i will be BUILDING in the trunk, so a drill is hardly logical.

mikescanlon
08-26-2005, 10:59 PM
i agree with that /\/\/\ but i **** sure wouldn't use any nails.

saywhat?
08-26-2005, 11:11 PM
and what woudl u use LOL i nail gun would do nothing to the wood but hold it together.....with something movnig that fast it WILL NOT split the wood

iceteebone
08-26-2005, 11:15 PM
if you use a brad nailer with some good wood glue i don't see what the problem would be.

mikescanlon
08-26-2005, 11:19 PM
i'm a roofing contractor, i've seen nail guns rip through 3/4 inch plywood and drive the nail into the truss systems.. i've seen nail guns put out 3 nails at once.. new nail guns do this stuff..
you need a compressor too, seemed like alot of stuff just to make a speaker box when if you are good with a hammer you can just you that with some 8penny nails and have the same non-spliting effect.

i guess it's a regional thing for boxbuilders to use nails.. i've always used screws down here and just about everyone i know with the whole gorrila glue or exterior wood glue.. + resin sealing...

<shrug>

different strokes for different folks?

LBX2G
08-26-2005, 11:19 PM
first off end this dumb war. Nail guns are easy to use, they take up way less time then a drill bit and screw, plus they are better, if u have ever used one then you would kno.

P.s. I work for a wood butcher he kno all about wood.

saywhat?
08-26-2005, 11:24 PM
sooooooooooooo is anyone local? lol

iceteebone
08-26-2005, 11:26 PM
i'm a roofing contractor, i've seen nail guns rip through 3/4 inch plywood and drive the nail into the truss systems.. i've seen nail guns put out 3 nails at once.. new nail guns do this stuff..
you need a compressor too, seemed like alot of stuff just to make a speaker box when if you are good with a hammer you can just you that with some 8penny nails and have the same non-spliting effect.

i guess it's a regional thing for boxbuilders to use nails.. i've always used screws down here and just about everyone i know with the whole gorrila glue or exterior wood glue.. + resin sealing...

<shrug>

different strokes for different folks?

lol, i've used air compressed nail guns to nail 1/4" molding along my windows at home. i have no idea what the hell you are doing with the nail gun

snb778
08-26-2005, 11:26 PM
most of us who use nail guns, use them just to hold the box together as we are building it so you dont have to sit there and put clamps on it and WAIT for the glue to dry...but even after you put glue on it and nail gun it. you still DEFINITELY must use screws. The box comes together so much tighter when you add screws. Unless you clamp the sh@t out of it after you glue, but that just wastes time

iceteebone
08-26-2005, 11:27 PM
sooooooooooooo is anyone local? lol

if you'll pay my gas from michigan i'll come help ya. never been to mississippi before. ;)

InhumanAcura
08-26-2005, 11:31 PM

dont use fricken nails.

you dont know what you're talking about :)

nails > screws

your welcome to come down here, ill help

saywhat?
08-26-2005, 11:39 PM
you dont know what you're talking about :)

nails > screws

your welcome to come down here, ill help

just a tad too far LOL

saywhat?
08-26-2005, 11:40 PM
if you'll pay my gas from michigan i'll come help ya. never been to mississippi before. ;)

between michigan and mississippi i dont see muh difference at all.....never been but the stereotypes seem to match rather well between both states lol. the mississippi stereotypes really are only the REALLY rural parts, as im sure michigan is the same.

nissanrider06
08-27-2005, 12:41 AM
why dont u just buy a box from spkrman or something if u dont know how to build one, its so easy, u just cut the wood and screw it and seal it....... i never had any woodworking classes or anything and i built many boxes with no problems

saywhat?
08-27-2005, 09:13 AM
why dont u just buy a box from spkrman or something if u dont know how to build one, its so easy, u just cut the wood and screw it and seal it....... i never had any woodworking classes or anything and i built many boxes with no problems

do u take me for an idiot? and building a box is not just "slapping it together". ive built boxes many times, and they have been perfectly well done. if u dont know the REASON i asked for help, don take me for stupid.my trunk is very shapely and glass is going to be my last option.