PDA

View Full Version : Imaging Question

Decado
08-26-2005, 01:53 AM
Ok, so i know that mid range speakers are less sensitive to off axis, but would they sound good at all if i had them pointed like this?
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/midimaging.jpg
Or is that too far off axis? Also might there be cancellation (i could point them upwards and toward the seats by a cm or so i guess to stop that)? Basically the reason i'm asking is because my door is like this:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/door.jpg
and that is the only spot i could fit some mids, i also dont want the speakers sticking out very far because then i wouldnt have to spend lots of money getting new window handle gears machined or by getting a power window kit. So all in all, will this still sound good as long as I image the tweeters right?

Tourette's Guy
08-26-2005, 01:56 AM
instead of asking us (we will never know what exactly is BEST for your application) Hook them up in your car and mess with the imaging, that way you know exactly what sounds best.

Trial and error, while tedious is an excellent way to learn.

Decado
08-26-2005, 01:57 AM
I'd like to know before i start cutting and glassing and buying speakers :) . I'm mostly just wondering if they will still sound good that far off axis.

audiolife
08-26-2005, 02:54 AM
ok when you are 20 inches away from 1 speaker how far away will you be from the other? stagging and imaging are almost always garbage with door speakers makes it very hard to center the stage and if you cant center it well you hear 1 side alot over the other

Decado
08-26-2005, 12:32 PM
About 4 feet from the other speaker, ya...that does ****. I'd make kickpanels but then i'd have no legroom, i'd make pods but then my window wouldnt work...i'm at a complete loss, i dont know what to do.

audiolife
08-26-2005, 02:07 PM
in most cases the leg room theory is imagined as "huge kicks". if you use your factory kick and get creative more than half the timethe speakers dont stick out so bad espeacially if you have a set of components that can be ap membrained

Decado
08-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Uhh, well, for me i need the room for the dead pedal (bad knee), and if i put it back too far it will get damaged by water/snow/slush (minnesota winter).

audiolife
08-26-2005, 03:46 PM
welp you put a speaker in a door it gets wet any way lol thats why there are holes at the bottom of your door in the door jam area to let the water out. a good kick panel set up wouldnt get wet at all unless you kicked it. only draw back to it is if the kick panels them selves are very thin if they are then it would indeed get in the way of your dead pedal .

Decado
08-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Well, with kicks, when i get in the car and my feet go over the kicks stuff would probably drip off my shoes onto the speaker, that's what i'm tryin to say.

audiolife
08-26-2005, 03:51 PM
what car is it?

Decado
08-26-2005, 03:53 PM
93 Mercury Sable, not a whole hell of alot of room on the sides of the car where kick panels would go. Even the 12 by 8 or so inches i would need is quite substantial.

audiolife
08-26-2005, 04:57 PM
i had a 90 tempo with a clutch before i had the horns we got a a component set in there no problem. its just very hard to get any type of soundstage in a door location without alot of processing. you can make it sound decent on one side at a time. usually if you were going to graph the sound by where it sounds like its coming from the graph would look like a tipped russian sickle lol

Decado
08-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Ya...I may just have to get a power window kit and make some sealed door pods...

audiolife
08-26-2005, 07:10 PM
if you remove the kick you may have alot of room in the metal of the car where you can kill 2 birds with one stone (although i think the car ecm is in the passanger kick) by having the speakers slightly angled and very well protected will far greater equalization of pathlengths. i know tons of people who have moved ecms but i havent ever done that

Decado
08-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Hmm, that sounds like a good idea, i'll have to try that out, and ya that would work alot better for imaging because if i had it lower my leg would be blocking it.

audiolife
08-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Hmm, that sounds like a good idea, i'll have to try that out, and ya that would work alot better for imaging because if i had it lower my leg would be blocking it.
if it did you either have gigantic legs or speakers with really poor dispersion lol. take out your kick panels and look at the type of room you have

Decado
08-27-2005, 03:08 AM
Gigantic legs.