PDA

View Full Version : Plan on purchaseing an ELIPSE CD8455 deck have a few ?'s

air_odie
08-25-2005, 05:18 PM
I have searched this and many othe forums resources etc... and come to four conclusions,
1. get a diff head unit
2. pay 550+6%tax(33)=583 +install $17harness + 33install kit ==636OTD installed at a very good local audio shop.
3. pay the 583 and self install
4. look online for it ebay etc....not the way I wanna go but....

Does 636OTD sound Hi?

any other suggestions? I am not looking for anything more then what this unit offers and it has everything I need except the HD carrying capability, however it does have an aux input so....

Slaugh
08-25-2005, 05:20 PM
you are paying way too ****in much on a hu...

cjjackson85
08-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I paid $800 on my Clarion... :greedy:

air_odie
08-25-2005, 05:49 PM
anyone know a better way to get this HU then?

BodegaBay
08-25-2005, 06:29 PM
$630 (including tax) installed w/3 year factory warranty + 1 year ESN warranty is pretty good. If you LIKE the way the Eclipse sound, then is it worth it in $100~$200 in savings over an inferior unit?

3.5Max6spd
08-25-2005, 06:30 PM
anyone know a better way to get this HU then?

option 2- 3 yr warranty, 1 yr theft replacement....peace of mind is nice. Considering deck retails for $650, sounds good to me to have the full warranty, support if ever needed.

If its too expensive for ya, perhaps you should look for something less.

air_odie
08-25-2005, 06:36 PM
its not outta my price range i just dont want to be -overcharged- for it
im the guy 3-700 thread so... its less then 700 and love the way the eclipse avn sounded in comparison to the n2 right next to it on the sam set of 2 speakers and a 12" sub.

Eclipse put the smack down as for the quality, cleaness, and crisp of 9 diff cd's I used.
I know I want it and I budgeted up to 700, I just wanna see what others have paid or if this made sense, I called 9 other shops all between 550-700 un-installed. 700 guy I asked if he sells anything at all, his response was something to the fact that if u have to ask how much it is u cant afford it, I asked if he knew what reality was, then hung up...

the other part is I will be running Eclipse SW9102 in my thunderform and Might do an all eclipse system...

BodegaBay
08-25-2005, 06:42 PM
$630 with tax and installed is very decent. I purchased mine for around the same price through The Good Guys on the West Coast. Go for it.

3.5Max6spd
08-25-2005, 06:45 PM
its not outta my price range i just dont want to be -overcharged- for it
im the guy 3-700 thread so... its less then 700 and love the way the eclipse avn sounded in comparison to the n2 right next to it on the sam set of 2 speakers and a 12" sub.

Eclipse put the smack down as for the quality, cleaness, and crisp of 9 diff cd's I used.
I know I want it and I budgeted up to 700, I just wanna see what others have paid or if this made sense, I called 9 other shops all between 550-700 un-installed. 700 guy I asked if he sells anything at all, his response was something to the fact that if u have to ask how much it is u cant afford it, I asked if he knew what reality was, then hung up...

the other part is I will be running Eclipse SW9102 in my thunderform and Might do an all eclipse system...

so if msrp is $650 and you are charged $550 for the unit how are you overpaying?
You do realize that Eclipse is one of the companies that has strict distribution of its products and believe it or not doesnt have huge profit margins/mark up.
I'll just say look around at the competition....and tell me theres a better deck right now for the price of the 8455. It offers everything a deck priced there should and then some.

JLCivic
08-25-2005, 07:42 PM
option 2- 3 yr warranty, 1 yr theft replacement....peace of mind is nice. Considering deck retails for $650, sounds good to me to have the full warranty, support if ever needed.

If its too expensive for ya, perhaps you should look for something less.

X2

mikegett
09-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Sorry about the crappy dealer. Unfortunately, eclipse can be very hard to reach. It is 65 miles to the nearest eclipse dealer. The good note is that it looks as though crutchfield will be carrying the products. If you like the deck over other models, then go for it I recently purchased a new set of JL xr650 comps retail. I could have gone the ebay route and saved 180 dollars but I felt the product was well worth it. I do have to suggest against the all eclipse. I love the HU's, amps, and subs. But I won't go back to there speakers. My new JL's are far superior to the eclipse comps. I realy believe the cdt's would blow away the eclipse.

smgreen20
09-03-2005, 01:41 AM
D@mn!, I might drive down to Connersville to get mine, well....Maybe not w/gas prices. I was quoted $700.00 as a MSRP. So it's $650 hu? Guess I'll have to go back to the store and hagle. I'm looking at the CD8455 as well. I've been a clarion freak for the last 12 yrs. Eclipse is the ONLY other brand of HU I'd ever consider. That thing has features out the a$$. All in all, I think it's a great deal for reasons already mentioned.

JLCivic
09-03-2005, 06:59 AM
Sorry about the crappy dealer. Unfortunately, eclipse can be very hard to reach. It is 65 miles to the nearest eclipse dealer. The good note is that it looks as though crutchfield will be carrying the products. If you like the deck over other models, then go for it I recently purchased a new set of JL xr650 comps retail. I could have gone the ebay route and saved 180 dollars but I felt the product was well worth it. I do have to suggest against the all eclipse. I love the HU's, amps, and subs. But I won't go back to there speakers. My new JL's are far superior to the eclipse comps. I realy believe the cdt's would blow away the eclipse.

According to the local Eclipse dealer, Crutchfield is only going to be carrying Eclipse's video pieces(and that is all Crutchfield has on their site right now). I have heard the new Eclipse comps and they sound very nice, imo.

air_odie
09-03-2005, 12:39 PM
so if I was running the 8455 and two eclipse sw9102's, I guess what amp should I run for the subs, and which if any amp for the rest of the system? Then of course what should I get for comp? my fronts are in door and are a 6.5 3way w/ 1 inch tweeter currently and the rears are 6.5 two ways all 6 are incredibly blown and it is the stock infinity 2ohm 30amp system :-( thats why I really need a lil update... last time I was dealing with Good car audio it was when the clarion auto pc came out so it has been a long time. I am looking to spend like 100 on the rear and up to 300 on the front, sub amp like 300 and if needed the other amp like 200ish, I am more worried about the sound then the money if needed ill just buy it piece by piece or save longer... I just know that right now jammin with distortion and blown everything *****!

mikegett
09-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Most likely your speakers blew due to the lower wattage being applied. It is always debatable if rear fill is needed. Many feel that it is not needed at all if the staging is done correctly in the front. I prefer to have some rear fill. However, sound is all subjective. I suggest that you do as stated and take the system a few steps at a time. Purchase the amp and front comps first. You can then decide if rear is needed. 300 could buy a very nice set of comps. If you feel comfortable with online, then try some cdt's from thezeb.com Since sound is subjective, I stick with a shop or purchase through work. When I bought the JL comps it took nearly fifty minutes of me testing various speakers. For the most part, they will all sound very close on a board. There are three things to look for.
Know what kind of wattage you will be using. Due to the efficiency of some speakers this could make a noticable difference. If you only have 70 watts rms do not let the dealer test with 100 watts RMS. You want to know where your speaker will come alive.
Test the speakers on the same HU. Due to the voltage variations of HU's. One HU may make the amp sound distorted or another under powered.
Try to remember that you will be listening to these in a car. Do not let the dealer walk you around the room. Speakers are very directional and vary in the width of there staging. The farther away you stand the fuller the speakers will appear to be. Stand within two feet of the speakers and turn to one side. Try to position yourself close to how you would be seated in the car. Demo all speakers in the same manor. You might be suprised to see that some tweets are very limited on positioning.
I can't comment on what speakers to buy. I fell in love with the JLXR's but this could easily be different for you. Out of amps, I would highly suggest a JL or eclipse. The JL carries a hefty price tag but is very user friendly with its powersupply. I have two eclipse PA5422 four channel amps. They have a very clean sound and good build for the price. The only amp I have liked more was a older ADS.