PDA

View Full Version : Is fiberglass better then MDF?

MysticPhantom
08-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Basically does the material the box is contructed of make a difference in the sound you get. In other words, would the sound be different in a fiberglass box or a regular wood box or does it even matter at all?

Question 2: Sealed or Ported, which hits hard and QUICK. I want my sub to hit fast and not drug the deep sounds too much. Haha thats the best way i can put it!

Buckshot
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Basically does the material the box is contructed of make a difference in the sound you get. In other words, would the sound be different in a fiberglass box or a regular wood box or does it even matter at all?

Question 2: Sealed or Ported, which hits hard and QUICK. I want my sub to hit fast and not drug the deep sounds too much. Haha thats the best way i can put it!

1: It makes no difference. As long as both are built the way they should be, and braced correctly then they will sound exactly the same.

2: What kind of music do you listen to?

yamaman
08-23-2005, 12:36 PM
I don't tihnk they make any difference at all just as long as they are built the same

tRiGgEr
08-23-2005, 12:41 PM

Fiberglass = MDF. The material does effect the sound. You want to use a dence material like MDF. Partical board, plywood should not be used.

A ported box is going to have more output. But the sound you talk about is box size/tunning dependent. And it also depends on what speaker you use.

I have a XXX and get no overhang problems. On my Rock/metal music it is as snappy/punchy as a sealed box...

Starky
08-23-2005, 02:29 PM
fast and punchy bass = Sealed

yz_gt69
08-23-2005, 08:22 PM
What causes sealed boxes to be "snappier"? Common sense tells me the pressure differential assists the sub to return to it's natural position... Clarify this for me

riad
08-23-2005, 10:18 PM
The material u construct your enclosure with affects how it sounds. It all has to do with your enclosure's resonating frequency as this contributes to the overall output of the subwoofer. MDF has a lower resonating frequency that fibreglass.

Sealed enclosures have no overhang. The air squeezed or stretched behind the cone during a full linear excursion either acts as an acoustic spring during compression or a vaccum and vice versa. As a result the cone is immediately returned to the original start position without relying on the suspension or spider. This results in quicker attack times as the voice coil is almost instantaneously replaced in the magnetic field after each excursion.

Bake
08-23-2005, 11:38 PM
What size sub are you using. Some find a 10" to give more of that quick punch than a 12" or 15".

DBfan187
08-23-2005, 11:46 PM
cone size has zero effect on punchiness.

A high Q sealed enclosure should give you those frequencies you desire.

IMHO - you lack midbass, it's what you're really after.

btnhfan
08-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Fiberglass = MDF. The material does effect the sound. You want to use a dence material like MDF. Partical board, plywood should not be used.

Material definatley affects the sounds

Build a box out of steel and see what happens.
The resonance is much different than that of mdf.

LBX2G
08-23-2005, 11:57 PM
he was sayin that it really does not matter about wood. Cus the thne resonance of wood is so tiny...