PDA

View Full Version : mix match components

Dozy_production
08-22-2005, 11:10 AM
i was thinking about all my options for my new components and been looking at a lot of options. There were a couple of threads in this forum about vifa, lpq seas tweeters off madison sound and parts express and such. Might be an obvious answer to this question but would it be cheaper to just to buy the set buy individually the tweeter x over and midbass? ANd if i bought a different brand x over and then another different brand for the midbass would there be compatability problems? Please just fill me in on those tweeters i mentioned also, no clue how they compare. THanks for reading this

Dozy_production
08-23-2005, 02:27 PM
bump

OlogyAudio
08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
i was thinking about all my options for my new components and been looking at a lot of options. There were a couple of threads in this forum about vifa, lpq seas tweeters off madison sound and parts express and such. Might be an obvious answer to this question but would it be cheaper to just to buy the set buy individually the tweeter x over and midbass? ANd if i bought a different brand x over and then another different brand for the midbass would there be compatability problems? Please just fill me in on those tweeters i mentioned also, no clue how they compare. THanks for reading this

Going custom is indeed a very good way to save money -- or get more for your money... -- unless you find some insane deal on inventory close out below cost type thing... :) -- $500 retail -- $300 'average price' speakers for say... 120 shipped ;)

Anywho -- options in order of highest quality to lowest quality...
Best: -- A properly tweaked active setup with a ton of EQ... takes time -- you need to do some reading and know what you are doing... Expensive and time consuming... Awesome results though
Next best: -- A properly designed passive xover designed FOR the EXACT drivers being used... -- Still may want a basic EQ just to tool it to your own preferences... Again awesome results... The 5 band EQ in most nice head units will do just fine btw...
Next best -- still very good: Active setup -- a little bit of EQ at least defiantly is recommended
Kinda bad: -- Textbook xover with proper impedance compensation for the impedance loads of the drivers being used...
Very bad: -- Wrong xover entirely :)

Check your PM box btw