PDA

View Full Version : Custom Box for Dodge Caravan, HELP

Dosh142
08-21-2005, 11:24 PM
I have a 1996 Dodge Caravan with the backseat taken out and i am going to put a sealed sub box in the back. It will have 2 ten inch kicker comps and each sub will have as separate chamber. I know the general construction, but i have a few questions. First, I will list my box specs so you experts at box building can check them over then please try to answer my questions.

Exterior Box Dimensions
Length=30 inches
Height= 18 inches
Depth=18 inches

Interior Dimensions (For only 1 chamber)
Length=13.875 inches
Height=16.5 inches
Depth=16.5 inches
Chamber Volume=2.186 cubic feet (this measurement doe not include the displacement of the sub)

Questions
1. Do you think I should change my chamber volume? (Minimum Recommended Enclosure for one 10 inch Kicker Comp is 1.0 cubic feet and the Maximum is 2.4 cubic feet but these include the displacement of the sub)
2. I am going to be using a double thick baffle board made of two pieces of 3/4 MDF. I am wondering if i need to seal the cracks in between the two boards where the sub cut out is.
3. How do I seal the sub to the box? Does it require any materials that don't come with the sub?
4. How do I seal the terminal cup to the box? Does it require any materials that don't come with the terminal cup?
5. Should I carpet the box before or after I seal the subs in place?

Thanks to all of you who answer my questions.

SSS 18734
08-21-2005, 11:27 PM
1. not sure
2. Plenty of wood glue should do the trick
3. screws. most subs have a rubber sleeve that goes around the mounting ring, so you shouldnt need anything other than screws.
4. just screw it on. most people will say to caulk them from the inside, but I find it rather unnecessary. just make sure the hole its going into is a nice, tight fit.
5. carpet before.

Dosh142
08-22-2005, 12:12 AM
If I carpet before then the rubber molding inside of the sub would be pushed up against the carpet. Rubber to carpet doesn't sound like it would make a very good seal....

Dosh142
08-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Sorry about double posting, but what amp would you guys recommend...