PDA

View Full Version : Replacing stock speakers (and need an amp too)

LittleMinion
08-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Hello.. I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of newb questions.. :emb:

I'm looking to replace the speakers in my 91 Firebird. I don't need it to be competition loud or bass that blows the windows out... I just want something I can play loud and still have it sound good and clear.

This is what I was thinking of getting to replace the stock speakers:

Infinity Kappa 693.7i (6X9) 110 watt RMS 330 peak
Infinity kappa 462.7cfp (4X6) 60 watt RMS, 180 peak

And I was thinking of getting the Pioneer DEH-P7700MP for a deck. ( 22 x 4 RMS, 50X4 peak) Or does anyone know if a deck that will fit a 3rd gen Firebird without one of those ugly kits that makes it stick out 2 inches from the dash?? :(

Should I just get a 2 channel amp and have it power the 6x9s and leave the deck to power the 4x6s? If so what should I look for? I'm aiming for a maximum of $250ish.

Also if I've made any glaring mistakes in choices and you can suggest better speakers, please do :)

Thanks!! :)

analogkid
08-20-2005, 09:37 PM
having had a few birds and camaro's i will tell you those 4x6 in the dash will leave alot to be desired. i did a setup in my iroc where i mades plates to fit 6.5" coaxils in back and put a set of 6.5 comps in the doors leaving the dash empty. i loved the way it sounded. the 4x6 make for a weak front stage and thats where most if not all sound is supposed to come from.

LittleMinion
08-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks... I have to pay someone else to do this for me though so I don't want to have to have a lot of custom work... I assume they'd have to cut holes in the doors? How easy is it to make plates? I'm a complete n00b :(

analogkid
08-21-2005, 04:29 PM
if you look on the web there might even be some 6x9 adaptor plates available. its just a piece of plasticthat covers the 6x9 hole and leaves you a 6.5 hole. very basic stuff and should be inexpensive. if you get them i think you should be able to put them in. as for door speakers. if youre not comfortable with cutting holes in the doors id research a few local shops and have them just install some 6.5 comps in the doors. this could get a little tricky to do. this would be the only custom piece. do you have any mechanically inclined friends you could work with?