PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU want in your component sets?

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Hey everyone -- Well I'm starting the process of ordering up my own batch of custom drivers :veryhapp: -- there goes all my money ;) -- anyways what do YOU want in your speakers?

I'm thinking that I'm going to have DVC 4 ohm midwoofers so that people can run them with a 2 ohm alignment, or get a different version of the xover that allows people to use the front and rear channels of their head unit so they actually get some reasonable power out of their head units...

What materials would people be the most interested btw? I'm leaning towards aluminum... for now at least. till I do a little research :naughty:

Anyways -- suggestions are open :yumyum: -- som1 has to have an opinion

djman37
08-19-2005, 04:58 PM
cast baskets. I like the stability.
I do like your crossover idea. My HU outta be able to power tweets.

audiolife
08-19-2005, 05:00 PM
sandwiched paper like whats used on the system audio mids would be sweet

squeak9798
08-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah....I was going to say paper cones too. I like aluminum phase plugs just cause they look cool :p: But hey, when done right they actually serve a good purpose aswell :D Liberal use of copper rings. High output but low distortion (atleast in the critical range. And I'd trade off some higher even order distortion for lower odd order). Good low frequency extension!

Options for EXTREMELY flexible crossovers. I'm talking semi-active crossovers (similar to what the Focal Be's have, only not quite as extreme). Adjustable xover points & slopes for both highpass (tweet) and lowpass (mid).

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 05:08 PM
They are going to be cast for sure -- I'm going to have 2 heavy copper shorting rings to cut down distortion and lower induction for sure -- Going to shoot for a higher vas, low QES (about .3), low FS design that way it will work fine in a small enclosure... and be awesome if you ported it :) -- going to try to push sensitivity as high as possible as well (very strong motor... hence the low Q) -- while maintaining good linear distortion and at least 6mm of xmax on the 6.5" version...

I'll see what I can do in terms of inexpensive high moment of inertia paper cones...

audiolife
08-19-2005, 05:15 PM
if you have a system audio dealer they should have a cone to look at (part of sales process) its the lightest cone i ever picked up its weak side to side (twist) but is veryyyyy riggid being pushed in. its water proof too it almost looks like its plastic but its just coated paper

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Options for EXTREMELY flexible crossovers. I'm talking semi-active crossovers (similar to what the Focal Be's have, only not quite as extreme). Adjustable xover points & slopes for both highpass (tweet) and lowpass (mid).

Well... Very flexible xovers would add to the price and in all honestly is more gimmick than anything... I can see some slight adjustments in the transfer function at the xover point being useful to adjust for potential phase interactions if things end up being about 90 degrees out of phase due to placement... but changes in the order of the filter as well as xover point will just allow more tweeter distortion with power... or not attenuate the breakup modes of the midwoofer properly -- not to mention I have a different component set available for almost any install or personal preference -- which works wonders :)

I worked hard to get some awesome off axis response as well :) so that the component set will work nicely in a number of different and less than ideal install locations btw... I can do the same for the new sets as well -- just will take awhile again :)... I can add options but it will just raise the price for very little gain.

Raven
08-19-2005, 07:11 PM
My only request is that some cars have very poor axes in stock locations. Like mine, the passenger side door is roughly 20 degrees off axis from me, where the driver's side door is more like 60 degrees. I would like to see something where you could change the axis the driver itself is on without messing with what it is mounted to. Shouldn't be too difficult, but it would make for a higher mounting diametere.

See the attachment, Imagine the gray thing is a speaker, the black thing in a mounting ring with holes every 3/8" or so, and the speaker can pivot on the red things.

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 07:31 PM
My only request is that some cars have very poor axes in stock locations. Like mine, the passenger side door is roughly 20 degrees off axis from me, where the driver's side door is more like 60 degrees. I would like to see something where you could change the axis the driver itself is on without messing with what it is mounted to. Shouldn't be too difficult, but it would make for a higher mounting diametere.

See the attachment, Imagine the gray thing is a speaker, the black thing in a mounting ring with holes every 3/8" or so, and the speaker can pivot on the red things.
Do you have any examples of speakers like this ? I would assume there would be an inner flange attached to an outer flange with some sort of bracket? sealed with some sort of foam -- seems kinda painfully -- lol possibly something that can be done in the install process -- some sort of spacer on one side that tapers off to almost no spacer at the other end that can be sealed with clay?

ngsm13
08-19-2005, 07:38 PM
******* Mid-bass, Smooth Tweets (silk or textile), great transition. Also push pin terminals on the mids ;)

NG

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 07:53 PM
******* Mid-bass, Smooth Tweets (silk or textile), great transition. Also push pin terminals on the mids ;)

NG

Heres the question of the day -- is it worth an extra $5 for push terminals? :)

Silk that is smoother vs VERY GOOD aluminum dome that is more detailed yet not as harsh as your typical hard dome tweeters???

Flipx99
08-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Could you have a 3 way setup that consisted of a 5 1/4, a 3 1/2 and a tweet? I wish you or someone would develop one.

audiolife
08-19-2005, 08:23 PM
how about a speaker set that comes with a blonde bimbo? lol

Raven
08-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Do you have any examples of speakers like this ? I would assume there would be an inner flange attached to an outer flange with some sort of bracket? sealed with some sort of foam -- seems kinda painfully -- lol possibly something that can be done in the install process -- some sort of spacer on one side that tapers off to almost no spacer at the other end that can be sealed with clay?

There are no examples of speakers like this, because they do not exist. Customizable installation out of the box is non-existance sans DVC and crossover networks. I've put serious consideration into a spacer like you said, but the design I speak of would be for general problems like the one I'm facing, and not specific to me.

And the subject of push terminals.. Push terminals on speakers are worth their weight in GOLD! For DVC, especially, they are just life saving things we all love.

audiolife
08-19-2005, 08:35 PM
to get it to move at 40 degrees would be pretty hard to do with that type of design.the angles you were reffering to are done with pods because otherwise it wouldnt fit behind the door.

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Could you have a 3 way setup that consisted of a 5 1/4, a 3 1/2 and a tweet? I wish you or someone would develop one.
That is EXACTLY what I need lol... a little dome midrange that is simply awesome... I'm thinking 2 1/8" or 3" aluminum inverted dome midrange??? With an excessive motor structure and a pair of copper shorting rings? -- it is going to be hard to pull off a 93dB/w/m efficiency or higher with it though ~~

I think the first creations will be a DVC 7" midwoofer and a dome midrange that stacks up with some of the best drivers out there (seas excel, Dayton RS... scanspeak etc.) just... available for less...

I'll see about a 5.25" woofer at some point though -- it takes a substantial investment for one driver alone -- nontheless a whole line of them :)

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 08:50 PM
how about a speaker set that comes with a blonde bimbo? lol
I wish I had enough to spread the love lol...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=095-272

Aren't good enough? :yumyum: have 8 of these on each driver? :)http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=095-262

Or spring terminals rly what you demand? :)

This quality:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-1152

or the low grade stuff? eew...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-300

:P

I must serve the peoples' needs...

HiAmplidude
08-19-2005, 09:12 PM
I, too, would love to see a highly "tweakable" crossover ... perhaps (and especially) something that would maybe fit in a 1/2 DIN or even full DIN slot as an option.

Mounting depth is a pretty big deal for a LOT of setups, but having a line that was pure audiophile with no regard to stock mounting locations is a good idea.

Paper cone.

Cast basket.

Actually meets screw hole locations of common vehicle types.

Dual VC is very cool. Dual 2 or Dual 4 Ohm options = even better.

6.75" + 4" + 1" balanced component sets would probably not sell well but would be sweet for some installs.

(adjustable) Band-pass on the mid-woof x-over for the component set, for folks without high-pass x-overs on the amp (or other stuff on the same channels).

Hell yea, $5 for push or screw terminals! For sound, it doesn't matter, but install time saved for the average Joe... yup.

**** surround material.

No stupid looking silk screens or flames or other gimicky stuff.

yada yada...

ngsm13
08-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Maybe a different optin to push terminals (the first higher grade kind) would be small philips head set screws. (Like Diamond Hex mids) ;)

NG

JimJ
08-19-2005, 09:29 PM
what would I want...hmm...

real in-car sensitivity of 92dB/W or higher :)
High excursion midbasses
An option for ribbon transducers ;)
And a price under $150 :D

Flipx99
08-19-2005, 09:31 PM
That is EXACTLY what I need lol... a little dome midrange that is simply awesome... I'm thinking 2 1/8" or 3" aluminum inverted dome midrange??? With an excessive motor structure and a pair of copper shorting rings? -- it is going to be hard to pull off a 93dB/w/m efficiency or higher with it though ~~

I think the first creations will be a DVC 7" midwoofer and a dome midrange that stacks up with some of the best drivers out there (seas excel, Dayton RS... scanspeak etc.) just... available for less...

I'll see about a 5.25" woofer at some point though -- it takes a substantial investment for one driver alone -- nontheless a whole line of them :)

It doesn't have to be 5.25...convient for me. I would go with a 6 or 7. DVC wouldn't help however.

HiAmplidude
08-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Come to think of it, yea, DVC doesn't really matter especially if there was a final impedence choice of 2 or 4 (or 3).

JimJ
08-19-2005, 09:42 PM
I know this isn't the thread to make this comment, but it would be really cool if you didn't leave out us home audio wh0res :)

A quality 4.5" or 6.5" full range driver at a competitive price would make me have to buy another pair of pants...

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Maybe a different optin to push terminals (the first higher grade kind) would be small philips head set screws. (Like Diamond Hex mids) ;)

NG

MUCH BETTER!
lol... I think we can do that :)

what would I want...hmm...

real in-car sensitivity of 92dB/W or higher
High excursion midbasses
An option for ribbon transducers
And a price under $150

Well the first 2 I can do...
A ribbon... far too fragile for a car :P -- you can damage one by blowing on it after all...

$150...

I also wouldn't be leaving out the home audio wh0res :) -- DVC 4 ohm = 8 ohm wiring option :) -- I'm not messing with full rangers yet though -- one day -- in a few years I'm going to be doing some fun stuff though :)

Sure DVC matters -- option for 2 ohm -- 8 ohm -- or using all 4 channels of your head unit to power *just* your front soundstage midbass drivers :)

squeak9798
08-19-2005, 09:58 PM
MUCH BETTER!
lol... I think we can do that :)

Well the first 2 I can do...
A ribbon... far too fragile for a car :P -- you can damage one by blowing on it after all...

Not really all that true. I can show you a few people that have been running ribbons in their cars for years and have yet to replace a ribbon. Mainly I've seen people running the LCY130's. Some Aurum Cantus (sp?) aswell though.

T3mpest
08-19-2005, 10:11 PM
yeah, blowing directly on the tweet is about the only easy way to break one. On ECA they had a thread about a pair of ribbons standing up to 15x.x dbs, still worked perfectly.

PS. I'd like a high efficiency high excursion midbass/midrange driver, maybe a 7.

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Not really all that true. I can show you a few people that have been running ribbons in their cars for years and have yet to replace a ribbon. Mainly I've seen people running the LCY130's. Some Aurum Cantus (sp?) aswell though.

I blame dan -- I never blew on a ribbon tweeter because dan said... lol nm -- anywho limited vertical dispersion should be a fun install ;)

Tedro
08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
the head-unit Idea with the front and rear..... I like it but what if I dont have a rear output on my head-unit? alas though I would like just the basics, Paper cone woofers with cast frames. Metal dome tweeters just like how they where intended to be and designed to be. 180mm euro size woofer, really large tweeter. No crossover, just the speakers.... and of course aluminum phase plugs. Aslo nice grills that actually fit to speakers too would be a plus.

Hundreth
08-19-2005, 10:31 PM
I want something that I can just throw in my doors with little tweaking and sound great for a reasonable price.

Something like the Type-X comps, they sound great, work very well off little power (like 60 wrms), and have excellent off-axis response. Plus you can find them for like 200$ on ebay.

squeak9798
08-19-2005, 10:55 PM
anywho limited vertical dispersion should be a fun install ;)

Haha....I never said they were perfect for car audio :D

But seriously though, the people who have used them so far have seemed to love them over their conventional tweet setups. Just something to think about.

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Haha....I never said they were perfect for car audio :D
But seriously though, the people who have used them so far have seemed to love them over their conventional tweet setups. Just something to think about.

Oh trust me I've been thinking about it a lot :) I have some radical ideas that I want to patent before I discuss them though like some ribbons able to take extreme abuse -- as well as some stuff that doesn’t matter like a ribbon tweeter with a wider vertical dispersion pattern but this is not stuff that I can do at this point... not enough $$$ sadly...

A wider vertical dispersion pattern is a *BAD* thing generally but I want better than 15 degrees :P 40 degrees would do for most people...

As for grills that fit the speakers I was thinking along the lines of what accuton does...

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=7971321.18243&pid=1275

Also thinking along the lines that I'll be using ceramic materials within 2 years :P -- Going to be doing some materials research... going to be coming out with some cones that are superior to Accuton's but cost a lot less... That is sort of longer term project I have though...

OlogyAudio
08-20-2005, 05:14 PM
No more input here???

Here are the latest thoughts...

How’s dayton RS style 7"... smaller mounting flange though so rly like a 6.8" :) -- higher sensitivity DVC 4 ohm (2 ohm or 8 ohm operation your pick) -- copper phase plug -- grill

Prolly go with a 3" dome mid first -- Dayton RS style -- black aluminum dome -- liberal use of copper shorting rings -- built in grill

A 4.5" cone mid -- as high a sensitivity as I can manage without breaking the bank... black aluminum cone with copper phase plug... Anyone like another color better than copper on black?

As for the tweeters it *is* going to be a smaller faceplate version of the dayton RS28 but higher sensitivity and a neo motor design -- but this is my last priority -- this is all going to take quite some time... going to create them one at a time type deal so this will take a little bit...

After all of this I'll tackle a full range 3" driver... as well as start expanding on the lines with other sizes because by then I'll have enough money to invest back into my project of making awesome DIY drivers available... as well as component sets for the general population to use...

All of my drivers I'm leaning towards a low Q high vas low fs design... I can't have a high Qes ~.7 or so and maintain high efficiency and low fs... just won't work with what I can do at the moment???... I would have to drop efficiency... This low Q will work fine in the doors... leaky sealed... or in very small sealed kicks... or in small ported alignments... or in very large ported alignments tuned very low...

Raven
08-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Ok, and what part of that long post is your standard 2 way?

azbass
08-21-2005, 02:16 AM
dynaudio 2 or 3 way

OlogyAudio
08-21-2005, 02:35 AM
Ok, and what part of that long post is your standard 2 way?

Standard 2 way = 6.8" driver and a super robust dayton RS tweeter lmao :)...... or your pick anything under 800hz Fs

Raven
08-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Haha, I'll keep in touch should my current set give out. I don't change equipment but maybe every 8 months or so. Would be nice to have something a little more "real" in terms of a diehard component set.