PDA

View Full Version : Need new comps.

WheresTheButta
08-19-2005, 12:04 AM
I have factory holes for a 5x7, but am decidedly ditching those in favor of comps.
My budget is $300 for the set, and as for power - i'm going to think about amps after I decide on speakers. I could fit some 6.5" comps if I did some chopping on the door and some custom pods, but I'd prefer to stick with 5.25" since I'm going to sell the car eventually - is the jump in midbass THAT big from 5.25" to 6.5"?

flakko
08-19-2005, 12:05 AM
i WOULD reccomend ology's but he hasnt gotten back to me yet

so for now i say Rainbow Soundlines :)

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 12:50 AM
i WOULD reccomend ology's but he hasnt gotten back to me yet

so for now i say Rainbow Soundlines :)
Silly I got back to you on those comps at cost for a review of them vs the soundlines lol -- Well if you are interesterested in my components send me a PM -- and if you want to wait a little bit you can hear a review of my comps vs the soundlines... but if anyone wants pointed to a review of my components vs the EDi6500s just send me a PM -- Don't know if the mods would want me pointing to another forum in public lol...

bimma85
08-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Silly I got back to you on those comps at cost for a review of them vs the soundlines lol -- Well if you are interesterested in my components send me a PM -- and if you want to wait a little bit you can hear a review of my comps vs the soundlines... but if anyone wants pointed to a review of my components vs the EDi6500s just send me a PM -- Don't know if the mods would want me pointing to another forum in public lol...
like nike said.....just do it.

flakko
08-19-2005, 01:38 AM

Gotcha Dude :)

JAZN
08-19-2005, 01:45 AM
id chameleons.

WheresTheButta
08-19-2005, 11:36 PM
ok..... so will I really regret going 5.25" instead of 6.5" is my biggest question
I really want to do the 5.25" for simplicity sake, but if I will regret the lack of midbass, then I can bite the bullet and do 6.5"
now back to the main question: got 2 suggestions - rainbow soundline and ID chameleon
-- anywhere I can find a review of either?
anyone have reasons for one vs the other?
my friend has some focal comps that sound really nice, any opinions on those?

flakko
08-19-2005, 11:58 PM
I have nothing bad to say about the soundlines. thats all i can say hehe

OlogyAudio
08-20-2005, 12:58 AM
ok..... so will I really regret going 5.25" instead of 6.5" is my biggest question
I really want to do the 5.25" for simplicity sake, but if I will regret the lack of midbass, then I can bite the bullet and do 6.5"
now back to the main question: got 2 suggestions - rainbow soundline and ID chameleon
-- anywhere I can find a review of either?
anyone have reasons for one vs the other?
my friend has some focal comps that sound really nice, any opinions on those?
I'm not a big focal fan... not accurate enough for my tastes :) -- more forward -- borderline harsh to my picky ears... -- some people like this sound more though...

Not taking my suggestion into account or never got the PM? :eek:
Found the link on this forum to the short review atleast...
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110965

WheresTheButta
08-20-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm not a big focal fan... not accurate enough for my tastes :) -- more forward -- borderline harsh to my picky ears... -- some people like this sound more though...

Not taking my suggestion into account or never got the PM? :eek:
Found the link on this forum to the short review atleast...
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110965

never got your pm.......:uhoh:

WheresTheButta
08-20-2005, 10:21 PM
ok, so nobody else has any recommendations?
just ology's set, ID chameleons, and rainbow soundline?
also, more opinions please:
will I be pissed about the midbass on a 5.25" ?

WheresTheButta
08-23-2005, 10:46 PM
ok new question:
if I am going to use a driver that is larger than 5.25", I'm going to build pods for them...
Should I make some tiny sealed enclosures for the drivers, or just make them IB?

Sleeklsc
08-23-2005, 10:58 PM
what kind of car do you have?

i just tried 2 different comps in my marquis (5x7). a pair of 5.25 pioneer rev series with a 2.25 back space, second pair were the type r 6.5's with a 3" depth..

At first i thought i to would have clearence issues but i dont..all i used was a 1/2 board..clears it (glass) by about 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch,,

the midbass difference between the 2 was very noticable..go 6.5..

edit: doors are deadened

RCwhat
08-23-2005, 11:07 PM
boston pro60 components come with a 5x7 adapter plate, thats how i had mine mounted in my ranger. just sold my set on here today.

WheresTheButta
08-29-2005, 04:39 PM
my friend has a set of infinity kappa 6.5" comps
they sound really nice and get pretty loud.
any opinions on those?

Mackenzie
08-29-2005, 04:59 PM
my friend has a set of infinity kappa 6.5" comps
they sound really nice and get pretty loud.
any opinions on those?

You also may want to check out the pg xenon 5.25 comp convertables. They kick the crap out of any infinity speakers. I used to own infinity, and I will never go back to them.