PDA

View Full Version : need to fix my dads mistake

sanmarcosZfreak
08-18-2005, 05:36 PM
ok hi guys, i'm new here jsut joined up

i drive a 1987 nissan 300zx (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Calpolyjuggalo/The%20Z/DSC00741.jpg)

my dad had installed a complete blaupunkt system.....(cheapest he could find)

once i got the car i installed my kenwoon excelon cd player from my old acura, but i still got the **** blaupunkt speakers

they sound like ***, eventually i wanna have a fully trick setup but for now i just wanna be able to clearly hear my music (metal, some rap etc)

i need some ideas as to what i could get for my doors and my rears to help improve the sound (mainly bass)

so whatta guys think?

all four corners are 6.5"

flakko
08-18-2005, 05:38 PM
now why are you blaming your dad for that? he was nice enough to spend the money and put a system in your car.

but anyways, do u have a budget?

sanmarcosZfreak
08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
he put the system in when i had my acura so it was for him not me

not really cuz i'll admit im not a audio guy, so i dont know what good and what i should pay, i dont need top end stuff, i consider these blaupunkts to be low end...considering only 120 was spent on all 4 speakers...

so i'm gonna ballpark $350-400 for all 4 speakers

flakko
08-18-2005, 05:46 PM
hmmm well i would reccomend usin all that 350-400 for your front speakers only.

i only have 2 speakers in my car and i have a BIG cabin. so letsee 6.5"

pm ologyaudio (dang i still cant get his name rite) he makes custom comps so to speek

some brands to look into are CDT, Rainbow, DLS, Focal

sanmarcosZfreak
08-18-2005, 05:48 PM
i can baely hear my fronts, i hear my back more

flakko
08-18-2005, 05:50 PM
why? may i ask.

if you get great fronts, you wont need rears or thats how it is in my car. when i sit in the back seat, it sounds great.

sanmarcosZfreak
08-18-2005, 05:53 PM
i feel (i'm prolly wrong) that i get better bass response from my backs, and thats one of the main things i'm trying to get a lil more of but if i could get that from the front then i'd do it

but i'd like to get 4 new speakers

so do u have any advice for 4 speakers?

Logikalliquid
08-18-2005, 05:54 PM
i can baely hear my fronts, i hear my back more

Get a good set of components(all mentioned above are nice) and properly sound deaden your doors(whole cabin would be good) and you'll be amazed at the results.

sanmarcosZfreak
08-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Get a good set of components(all mentioned above are nice) and properly sound deaden your doors(whole cabin would be good) and you'll be amazed at the results.

i'm having the entire car matted after i make my cross country move beginning of next year, but right now i can't afford to

flakko
08-18-2005, 06:15 PM
like if you want bass get a subwoofer. thats wat they are made for.

the 6.5" coaxial, 2-way component speakers are only good for midbass - highs. anything below that should be handled by a subwoofer. if you have 6.5" speakers in all 4 corners, you should have the same amt of bass comin out of each corner (i think).

sanmarcosZfreak
08-18-2005, 06:21 PM
the back speakers are a different model then the fronts (slight upgraded version), i am gettin a sub or 2 once i move

a friend of mine suggested that i get a set of comps for the rear and that would help alot, i'm not looking for the super low bass i could get from a sub i'm looking for a lil more depth to the sound

Ignatowski
08-18-2005, 06:26 PM
dont go blaming you pops for your mistakes LOL

sanmarcosZfreak
08-18-2005, 06:31 PM
how is it my mistake if i lived on the east coast when he bought this stuff, and he lived on the west coast?

Logikalliquid
08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
dont go blaming you pops for your mistakes LOL

What mistake has he made? The only thing he's done to the car is put in the new HU. He's asking for advice before he makes any mistakes.

OlogyAudio
08-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Well if you can somehow manage to increase your budget about $50 you can deaden your car and get speakers that are awesome all at once :) -- I agree that a good set of front components is your best -- if you want some more info about what I do just send me a PM and I'll be glad to point you to some more info :)

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=95925

Is a good thread about deadening your stuff :) it will help the midbass coming from the doors sound awesome ;) -- second to .5 cuft kick panels like some people like to do...

sanmarcosZfreak
08-18-2005, 06:42 PM
i wish i could deaden my doors right now but i seriously can't, my dad has been on my case bout me spending money on my other project, so right now i only afford to change out the speakers (something he wont notice), its a mod that he will not notice so he wont know, theres no way i could deaden the doors without him finding out

hell my budget it prolly to high neways

ok good front or rear speaker setup for under 300 there thats my choice, plz advise (yes i change my mind alot)

OlogyAudio
08-18-2005, 07:41 PM
i wish i could deaden my doors right now but i seriously can't, my dad has been on my case bout me spending money on my other project, so right now i only afford to change out the speakers (something he wont notice), its a mod that he will not notice so he wont know, theres no way i could deaden the doors without him finding out

hell my budget it prolly to high neways

ok good front or rear speaker setup for under 300 there thats my choice, plz advise (yes i change my mind alot)
FRONT!!!! -- and what do you expect to do with the tweeter so he won't find out you installed a component set lol... :) Put it behind the grill? eew... I guess you could -- assuming you have the clearence...

Logikalliquid
08-18-2005, 08:00 PM
You can get an upgraded CDT EF series set for that and still have change left over.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CDT-Audio-SAVE-MORE-EF-61CFi-6-1-2-Components-GRADE-B_W0QQitemZ5799074917QQcategoryZ32819QQtcZphotoQQc mdZViewItem
Thats the CDT factory outlet so don't worry about getting scammed.

SSS 18734
08-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Are you going to run these new speakers off head unit power? If you are I wouldn't suggest you drop $400 on speakers. I would use about $200 of that budget for front comps, $50 for rear fill coaxials, $100 on an amp, and about $50 on deadening.

audiolife
08-18-2005, 09:19 PM
id nab a set of these http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=SSX615 put them in your door get some sound deadener deaden the door and get an amp http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=THUNDER3202 and be done with it until up grade time for the subs. want to make it better when you up grade? put them in kicks and add sub/subs and another amp for them. (memphis syncs would be cool here too but are more $$)

sanmarcosZfreak
08-19-2005, 03:32 AM
wow lots of input now

yeah after playing with my settings i can see how new fronts would help, i found more bass already...now if only i had known bout that before i started my mission to blow these things

i've seen these things online, that a lil foam pockets u put behind the magnet that has a lip that sits behind the rim the speaker and the mounting plate, are those any good? would it help even the slightest? could i jsut deaden the area around the speakers and wait till later to do the whole door?

if i got the comps....would i NEED to hook up the tweeter? i mean my rear speakers are literally right behind my head so i can hear them fine, i jsut want some more bass for now, i could hook the tweets up in a few months

johnecon2001
08-19-2005, 05:05 AM
uh yeah, yes you need to hook up the tweeter. The mid only plays half of the frequency range... the tweeter plays the other half.

sanmarcosZfreak
08-19-2005, 11:26 AM
the tweeter plays the high range correct?

audiolife
08-19-2005, 11:28 AM
yes but if you do the front correct you dont need rears unless you like driving backwards

sanmarcosZfreak
08-19-2005, 11:30 AM
how would i not need rears?

audiolife
08-19-2005, 11:34 AM
thats why i suggested what i did. when you listen (and i do mean really listen to something) do you turn your back to it? our ears take in side/forward sound much better than they do from behind (unless you are a freak of nature with wolf ears that point in 270 degrees or sumthin)

sanmarcosZfreak
08-19-2005, 11:42 AM
my rears speakers aren't mounted perfectly vertical, they are 'aimed' towards the front of the car and its a hatchback

so wouldn't to the sound travel to the forward area more?

tRiGgEr
08-19-2005, 11:59 AM
my rears speakers aren't mounted perfectly vertical, they are 'aimed' towards the front of the car and its a hatchback

But it is still coming from the rear...:rolleyes:

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 11:59 AM

Well it is a longer path length and there would be all kinds of destructive interference that you brain will see as spacial ques and muck up the sound stage :P -- you can correct for this with time alignment but all the passengers are still quite screwed :P -- not to mention there are localization ques that will make it obvious that the music is coming from behind... and it won't seem like it is coming from in front of you like a virtual 'stage'

sanmarcosZfreak
08-19-2005, 12:04 PM
i like being surrounded by the sound

ok next set of questions

with comps, if the tweeter is not hooked up, what will happen to the sound aside from lack of high freq.?

audiolife
08-19-2005, 12:06 PM

ok next set of questions

with comps, if the tweeter is not hooked up, what will happen to the sound aside from lack of high freq.?
if you amp the fronts trust me it will fill the car and create a natural rear fill

sanmarcosZfreak
08-19-2005, 12:09 PM
finding a place to 'hide' an amp is pretty hard in this car, unless i can find a way to reconnect the factory amp

squeak9798
08-19-2005, 12:09 PM

Then wear headphones.

It'll sound like ***.

SSS 18734
08-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Honestly, if you like the surround sound effect, just get a rear set of coaxials or just leave the stock ones in there. A lot of people here will strongly discourage that, but remember theyve been in audio for a long time and have an extremely tuned ear for the slightest imperfections.

And no, dont hook up the mid without the tweeter. That's just pointless.

And if your not going to amp them, dont get new speakers at all. It's a complete waste IMO.

sanmarcosZfreak
08-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Honestly, if you like the surround sound effect, just get a rear set of coaxials or just leave the stock ones in there. A lot of people here will strongly discourage that, but remember theyve been in audio for a long time and have an extremely tuned ear for the slightest imperfections.

And no, dont hook up the mid without the tweeter. That's just pointless.

And if your not going to amp them, dont get new speakers at all. It's a complete waste IMO.

i will amp them just not now, anything would sound better then these half blown blaupunkts

OlogyAudio
08-19-2005, 05:41 PM
i will amp them just not now, anything would sound better then these half blown blaupunkts
Agreed lol I'd rather have good speakers and not have the ability to crank it over say 85 or 90dB for the average level using a head unit's amp -- than crappy speakers and a good amp :) -- then again I want to hear if som1 honks a horn -- or a siren...

sanmarcosZfreak
08-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Agreed lol I'd rather have good speakers and not have the ability to crank it over say 85 or 90dB for the average level using a head unit's amp -- than crappy speakers and a good amp :) -- then again I want to hear if som1 honks a horn -- or a siren...

yeah i can't hear that right now i dont think my HU is that bad, its a Kenwood excelon KDC-X5?? i think i dont know the specifics right off the top of my head

heres a pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Calpolyjuggalo/The%20Z/DSC00761.jpg

that replaced this (blaupunkt casblanca) and made a huge difference in the sound quality

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Calpolyjuggalo/The%20Z/DSC00759.jpg

Logikalliquid
08-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Those crystal coaxials(or fixed component technically?) audiolife mentioned look pretty nice. I don't see too many people using those and I forget about that company. I might pick a set of those up for my mom's truck.

sanmarcosZfreak
08-19-2005, 05:56 PM
heres what i have at all 4 corners (click for more info)

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/023/h023PCxb652.jpeg (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cCj29HFJexy/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52000&id=essential_info&i=023PCXB652#Tab)

these are this years model, mine a slightly different

QuikSilverRS91
08-20-2005, 12:27 AM
1987 300zx... maybe your ****** sound is due to some half-assed shot at trying to integrate the factory audio system to the head unit. If I'm not mistaken, that car needs one hell of a rewire, and it's a real pain in the ***. Look into this first, cause it could definitely be the problem. From what I know about that car you have to rewire EVERYTHING, and it is straight up just a pain in the *** to work on.

sanmarcosZfreak
08-20-2005, 12:37 AM
1987 300zx... maybe your ****** sound is due to some half-assed shot at trying to integrate the factory audio system to the head unit. If I'm not mistaken, that car needs one hell of a rewire, and it's a real pain in the ***. Look into this first, cause it could definitely be the problem. From what I know about that car you have to rewire EVERYTHING, and it is straight up just a pain in the *** to work on.

ummmy speakers go from speaker to HU the factory amp has been bipassed

the rewire has been done

sanmarcosZfreak
08-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Those crystal coaxials(or fixed component technically?) audiolife mentioned look pretty nice. I don't see too many people using those and I forget about that company. I might pick a set of those up for my mom's truck.

yeah i like those, i'd like to just get some nice co-ax for now then upgrade to comps later

Alpine2005
08-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Are you going to sale the blaupunkt hu and speakers?

Blaupunkt speakers really svck for mids and lows but the highs r great.

sanmarcosZfreak
08-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Are you going to sale the blaupunkt hu and speakers?

Blaupunkt speakers really svck for mids and lows but the highs r great.

i think we trashed the HU and if u really want them when i get new speakers i'll sell them for $25 plus shipping

ill check on the HU

Alpine2005
08-20-2005, 04:59 PM
$25 plus shipping for all 4 speakers and hu if you find it? that would be great.

or $25 plus shipping for all 4 speakers?

sanmarcosZfreak
08-21-2005, 01:00 AM
$25 plus shipping for all 4 speakers and hu if you find it? that would be great.

or $25 plus shipping for all 4 speakers?

25 per pair

so $50 for all 4 + shipping

and $50 for the hu if i find it