PDA

View Full Version : SQ = Front + Back speakers?

drzenitram
08-17-2005, 10:04 PM
So I'm spending some money.

I think I've decided to go with...
15" RL-p - $280 shipped
Spkrman box - $285 shipped
Viper 1200.1 - $210 shipped
Clarion EQ - $60 shipped
Alpine 9847 - $200

bout $1050

and I'll have about 600 more to spend + 280 for a viper alarm

So, looking for some speakers and I want SQ for mostly rock, but i'll pump up hip hop every so often.

I heard a lot of people only get front speakers. Someone said more than front speakers might mix up the clarity etc. It would also be cheaper and/or I could power 2 speakers easier and cheaper than four.

So, four or two? Four channel amp or two channel amp?

iceteebone
08-17-2005, 10:07 PM
a nice set of components up front is all you need. also might i ask what is a spkrman box?

drzenitram
08-17-2005, 10:14 PM
A box made by Spkrman on this forum. He's convinced me.

http://www.thecaraudiobox.com

iceteebone
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
A box made by Spkrman on this forum. He's convinced me.

http://www.thecaraudiobox.com

he is chraging you $285 for a single sub box? you are getting screwed more then paris hilton.

squeak9798
08-17-2005, 10:39 PM
he is chraging you $285 for a single sub box? you are getting screwed more then paris hilton.

Gotta agree with iceteebone here. Have someone like Jmac set you up with a properly designed box with plans for $10, take them in to a local shop and have them build it for you (if you can't build it yourself).....and you'll have a box that's just as good, if not better, for about half the total price. Or find a friend or relative or two, get the plans from Jmac and spend $30 in wood and an afternoon and build the box yourself. But $285 for a box for a single sub is very extreme and, frankly, not worth it.

Anyways, back to the original question; Rear speakers are needed only if you carry tons of passengers in the back and want them to be able to hear the music at low volume levels. Beyond that; don't waste your money as you'll get better performance by spending more on the fronts and a good quality amp.

iceteebone
08-17-2005, 10:47 PM
also i would probably drop the eq. not sure about that particular model of alpine, but a lot of decks have good eq's. i would personally add the money from the eq and upgrade the deck to like a pioneer 860 or an eclipse 8454. for $600 you can get a good amp and component setup. what size speakers can you fit? all yuo need is a 100 watt rms pair of comps at the most. imo if you setup your system correctly and have good imaging, there is no need to have oodles of power in the front stage. there are so many options on components and amps in that price range i'll let somebody else handle it. :p:

OlogyAudio
08-17-2005, 11:35 PM
A little flexability is nice to have though -- I'd keep the EQ the head's EQ is nice for general quick changes but... nothing like being able to tweak the 'sound' of the midrange with enough bands ;) -- that is too much for a box though lol... the RLP would do nicely in a fairly average sealed box IMHO and save you a ton of cash... 3-4cuft sealed box for the dvc 4 ohm... about 2-2.5 cuft for the dvc 2 ohm...

audiolife
08-18-2005, 12:00 AM
not to step on any toes here but spkrman's boxes dont appear to be just thrown together or anything like that alot of the boxes i see on his sight are form cut and sanded round which is alot more labor envolved .. i also talked to him a few times on msn he is a straight shooter

Bluntman420
08-18-2005, 12:05 AM
not to step on any toes here but spkrman's boxes dont appear to be just thrown together or anything like that alot of the boxes i see on his sight are form cut and sanded round which is alot more labor envolved .. i also talked to him a few times on msn he is a straight shooter
:word:

iceteebone
08-18-2005, 12:12 AM

yea but come on man, $285?

audiolife
08-18-2005, 12:18 AM
look at his boxxes not the outside the inside. thats about 2/3's more labor and about 2-4 more db. if you do the extra mile you would wanna get paid for it to besides that im sure 30-50 dollars of that is shipping probably has 30-60 dollars in matterials and im about positive he has a FEW hours just prepping it

El Ropo
08-18-2005, 09:39 AM
yea but come on man, $285?

The shop across the freeway from me quoted me 400 to 450 for a ported box, and that's if I brought in my own plans and cut sheet! I laughed all the way out the door.

Mackenzie
08-18-2005, 11:41 AM
look at his boxxes not the outside the inside. thats about 2/3's more labor and about 2-4 more db. if you do the extra mile you would wanna get paid for it to besides that im sure 30-50 dollars of that is shipping probably has 30-60 dollars in matterials and im about positive he has a FEW hours just prepping it

Im sure he makes good boxes, but one for almost 300 bucs for a single sub is outragious. Im sure any half way decent custom shop could build a great box for you for about 1/3 the price.

tRiGgEr
08-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I need to start building boxes on the side if I can charge 285 sor a single sub:idea:

audiolife
08-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Im sure he makes good boxes, but one for almost 300 bucs for a single sub is outragious. Im sure any half way decent custom shop could build a great box for you for about 1/3 the price.
most "good guys" i know around here charge 150 for a common chambered dual sealed 12 box without carpet

Spkrman
08-18-2005, 10:12 PM
I've already compared my boxes to those designed by "people" on this forum... don't wanna call the guy out! If you look at the site, the latest news update details this... I'll put it in short here.

Custom designed box for a pair of type R 12's - powered by an alpine mrd1000... Does a 139.7 at 48hz. Decent score?

TYPICAL TCAB box nothing special about this one, it is *not* a straight SPL box... 142.9 at 46hz... with *one* 12 on the same amp! It also sounded a heck of alot better because the woofer wasnt working hard at all to get "loud".

Thats what makes my boxes better. The numbers talk for me. The aforementioned customer could have come to me *first*... bought ONE sub and a smaller amp and would have been just as loud or louder than the setup he had before he got my boxes. Now lets say he spent 285 on the box and got one 12 and a smaller amp straight off, not buying the extra woof and bigger amp pays for the box right there... lets not mention less strain on the woofer and electrical system and better sound quality!

Not to mention your not buying from some guy who's looking to make some money to buy some new woofers or pay for some noise tickets... I am looking to grow TCAB as a business and I'm not going anywhere. That's why there is a 5 year warranty... and chances are you will never have to use it!

If you think the prices are too high, thats fine... not everyone can afford a ferrari :)

Spkrman
08-19-2005, 12:45 AM
So I'm spending some money.

I think I've decided to go with...
15" RL-p - $280 shipped
Spkrman box - $285 shipped
Viper 1200.1 - $210 shipped
Clarion EQ - $60 shipped
Alpine 9847 - $200

bout $1050

and I'll have about 600 more to spend + 280 for a viper alarm

So, looking for some speakers and I want SQ for mostly rock, but i'll pump up hip hop every so often.

I heard a lot of people only get front speakers. Someone said more than front speakers might mix up the clarity etc. It would also be cheaper and/or I could power 2 speakers easier and cheaper than four.

So, four or two? Four channel amp or two channel amp?

and to answer the original Q :)

I would go with a nice comp set up front and some decent coaxials in the rear - amp only the front speaks and power the rear off the head unit.

You don't want to overdo the rearfill... you dont want to "know" the speakers are back there... and for that matter, you dont want to know where ANY of the speakers are, just want the sound to be there :)

Could probably get away with 0 rear fill, but when your really bumpin you may need it to bring out the music over the boom.

squeak9798
08-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Could probably get away with 0 rear fill, but when your really bumpin you may need it to bring out the music over the boom.

If that's the case, then you either need to 1) lower the boom (God Forbid!!), or 2) upgrade the frontstage to something stronger. Rear fill shouldn't be the solution, however.

Spkrman
08-19-2005, 01:43 PM
If that's the case, then you either need to 1) lower the boom (God Forbid!!), or 2) upgrade the frontstage to something stronger. Rear fill shouldn't be the solution, however.

Its cheaper and easier to just add in some rear fill. When your crankin it sometimes its preferable. Heck of alot easier to get volume out of 4 speakers.

Turn the bass down? Leave it down when you feel like it... but when you wanna bump it BUMP it ;)

squeak9798
08-19-2005, 01:49 PM
The easiest option isn't always the right option ;)

Spkrman
08-19-2005, 01:59 PM
To stay loud and clear you are talking about an extremely LOUD set of comps up front with lots of power going to them.

At that point, you have to ask yourself if its worth all the extra cash to just get as much volume as you could have gotten with rearfill... and you can't forget that you'll probably be stressing the front speakers.

iceteebone
08-19-2005, 02:06 PM
To stay loud and clear you are talking about an extremely LOUD set of comps up front with lots of power going to them.

At that point, you have to ask yourself if its worth all the extra cash to just get as much volume as you could have gotten with rearfill... and you can't forget that you'll probably be stressing the front speakers.

if you do it correctly there is no need to have lots of power up front. i've run systems with 2000 watts rms + with about 100-150 watts up front. imaging is your friend.

audiolife
08-19-2005, 02:31 PM
you guys are nuts talking about that stuff lol basically what spkrman does is build a better than average box so the customer can have a single sub or however many you want to be loud and clear. notice he recomends drivers he is familiar with. he knows what the end result will be imo i dont think you can ask for much better. if you can do 140's with 1 12 cleanly in his box i would say its well worth the price lord knows i know guys who charge alot more for boxxes of the same caliber . dont think im trying to shoot down anyone by saying that either ice and squeak have a right to think the way they do all im doing is explaining what the differences are in boxxes. in street classes (db drags) the boxxes are everything in winning and losing

iceteebone
08-19-2005, 02:35 PM
you guys are nuts talking about that stuff lol basically what spkrman does is build a better than average box so the customer can have a single sub or however many you want to be loud and clear. notice he recomends drivers he is familiar with. he knows what the end result will be imo i dont think you can ask for much better. if you can do 140's with 1 12 cleanly in his box i would say its well worth the price lord knows i know guys who charge alot more for boxxes of the same caliber . dont think im trying to shoot down anyone by saying that either ice and squeak have a right to think the way they do all im doing is explaining what the differences are in boxxes. in street classes (db drags) the boxxes are everything in winning and losing

the vehicle also has to factor into the spl capabilities. if a box does good in a hatchback, it might not do as well in a big sedan. not saying his boxes are bad but christ $285 for a single sub box. i would want mine platinum plated for that price :)

audiolife
08-19-2005, 02:40 PM
the vehicle also has to factor into the spl capabilities. if a box does good in a hatchback, it might not do as well in a big sedan. not saying his boxes are bad but christ $285 for a single sub box. i would want mine platinum plated for that price :)
lol on the flip side of that no way you are gettin enough platinum to plate a sub box for 285 bucks lol :p:

squeak9798
08-19-2005, 03:05 PM

It's not the volume I'm worried about with regard to adding rear fill ;)

If you are drowning out a set of properly powered and setup component sets in front, then you have a major problem with system linearity. Adding rear fill is only going to degrade the stereo as a whole, not help it. If you need more volume, do it up front where it should be anyways.

And I agree with iceteebone; you don't need a ton of power to get comps loud when setup properly. And if your substage is still overpowering them....well, then it goes back to that whole linearity problem....LOL.

drzenitram
08-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Now I need someone to explain linearity and imaging to me.

OR LINK ME!

Then tell me how to do it. Hah.

Thanks, all of you.

audiolife
08-19-2005, 06:00 PM
linearity is the systems performance at all volumes bass trebele and mid all playing at the same level as they do at low volumes at higher volumes. meaning sub doesnt drown out anything even at extreme levels and same with the tweeters and mid

Spkrman
08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Perhaps I am the only one who likes to hear alot of bump.

I don't wanna have the bass way down... particuarly on songs that have no bass. Its *my* system... will play it like I want to, listening to it "as recorded"... nah.

Spkrman
08-19-2005, 06:40 PM

the vehicle IS factored into the box :)

Doesn't matter what vehicle you have, you just have to use it properly.