PDA

View Full Version : Woofer Mounting Screws

Decado
08-16-2005, 12:05 AM
What kind of screws am i going to want to get to mount my subwoofer into the box (type and size)? I'm guessing something less than 3/4" and with large threads?

carguy83
08-16-2005, 12:08 AM
i used some 1 1/4" drywall screws.

94CamryBumpin
08-16-2005, 12:09 AM
course thread drywall screws...i used 1 5/8" i believe...whatever i used to screw my box...

Chevyaudio
08-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Yep go for some dry wall screws, the coarse threads will bite into the wood better.

req
08-16-2005, 12:11 AM
some of these;

http://home.cogeco.ca/~jciguitars/t-nut.jpg

install as so;

http://www.crimppimp.com/images/Hold_T-Nut_Bolt.gif

this is behind where the speaker is mounted (on the inside of the box);

http://www.patcave.com/sunosub/tnut5.jpg

works awesome.

PRIVATEpastry
08-16-2005, 12:20 AM
some of these;

http://home.cogeco.ca/~jciguitars/t-nut.jpg

Backwards, doh! :uhoh:

req
08-16-2005, 12:22 AM
lol thats what i said. but it was a good picture of them.

i think that particular configuration would be used to "tap" a piece of wood, and then mount somthing else behind it. if that makes sense.

well. whatever. im sure he can figure it out :p:

Decado
08-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Do i need to drill holes first for the drywall screws when screwing the woofer in? Or just a small hole to get the screw started so i dont punch a hole in my woofer?

PRIVATEpastry
08-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Yes, drill holes. Make sure the bit is the same size as the shaft (not including the threads) of the screw.

Mr. Opportunist
08-16-2005, 12:25 AM
umm mark where holes are on wood with woofer on then take woofer off to drill....

req
08-16-2005, 12:26 AM
i would seriously pre-drill your hole unless you want to risk popping a hole in the sub by slipping off the screw.

do it my way, and if you ever have to remove it for some reason, its easy and it wont destroy your box.

Decado
08-16-2005, 12:27 AM
I dont understand how you put those in. I understand how they are in but how do i put them in.

Mr. Opportunist
08-16-2005, 12:29 AM
when using those do you use drill or by hand?

carguy83
08-16-2005, 12:30 AM
yeah, predrilling will reduce the odds of splitting the wood.

req
08-16-2005, 12:30 AM
I dont understand how you put those in. I understand how they are in but how do i put them in.

the nut (with the teeth on it) goes on the back of the hole. the bolt goes thru the speaker hole, thru the hole in the wood, and into the threads on the other side. the teeth sink into the wood and hold the nut on the back, and they are 100% removeable so if you need to take the speaker out, the little "nuts" with the teeth say in the wood, and the bolts come out very easy.

its actually quite simple ddue.

Decado
08-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Do i drill a hole the size of the piece with the teeth or what?

djman37
08-16-2005, 12:34 AM
the nut (with the teeth on it) goes on the back of the hole. the bolt goes thru the speaker hole, thru the hole in the wood, and into the threads on the other side. the teeth sink into the wood and hold the nut on the back, and they are 100% removeable so if you need to take the speaker out, the little "nuts" with the teeth say in the wood, and the bolts come out very easy.

x2 but with a little more 'bite' on the t-nut. I screw all of mine in w/o a sub first and epoxy the t-nuts in place. Ain't comin' out, never.

Decado
08-16-2005, 12:49 AM
So do i just drill a hole the size of the screw or what?

GCAdidas13
08-16-2005, 12:56 AM

should hit it in with a hammer before its impossible to do so, they DO fall out of MDF quite easily if all you do is screw them in

I screw all of mine in w/o a sub first and epoxy the t-nuts in place. Ain't comin' out, never.
or that

carguy83
08-16-2005, 01:08 AM
So do i just drill a hole the size of the screw or what?

not the entire diameter of the screw. just the same size (or a little smaller) as the central shaft of the screw.

PRIVATEpastry
08-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Do i drill a hole the size of the piece with the teeth or what?
If you're using t-nuts, drill it the size of the bolt.

BassAddictJ
08-16-2005, 03:17 AM
yeah, predrilling will reduce the odds of splitting the wood.

story of my love life....lol......j/k

ya useing bolts and nuts works too..those are a pain in the *** if u need to take ur sub out...

the thingy he was showing you in the pics is your best bet....you need a not fulyl contructed box so u can attach the piece on the back and make work right...if the box is already made........well **** i dunno.......

Decado
08-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Why would the box have to be fully made? The thing is big enough to get a full swing from a hammer in there, lmao.

djman37
08-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Why would the box have to be fully made? The thing is big enough to get a full swing from a hammer in there, lmao.

Mounting and hammering t-nuts all depends on WHEN you cut your circle.
IF you epoxy them in, you CAN mount them teeth UP. I chose to on a couple that the holes were a little too close for comfort to the cutout.
Epoxy on the t-nuts makes for easy removal, the t-nuts don't come out. Wood glue might work too, I KNOW epoxy does.

req
08-16-2005, 01:36 PM
just get a little 2 part epoxy glue. drill your holes according to the speaker holes. (the hole should be the size of the shaft on the "tnut" so it can slide inot that hole from behind (inside the box)

then put a little epoxy around where the teeth are, insert it into the hole you drilled (with NO subwoofer in place) insert the bolt into the other side and tighten it all the way (might wanna use a washer beneath the head of the bolt so it dosn eat up the wood round there)

wait till the epoxy dries (few hours prolly) then remove the bolt and washer, put the sub in place, and insert the bolts down and your done. a bit more effort, but in the end its WELL worth it. here is a diagram.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1103/tnut4hr.gif

ruckus
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
course thread drywall screws...i used 1 5/8" i believe...whatever i used to screw my box...
thats what I usae this time around. Last box I used security screws.

Decado
08-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Alright, thx.

Decado
08-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Ohh, and what size should i use? In ur pic you have 3/8" screw, but that is a pretty big screw.

djman37
08-16-2005, 09:33 PM
1/4" bolts/screws