PDA

View Full Version : Sub output much less on my new Headunit?

ls1pimp
08-14-2005, 04:26 PM
I went from an Alpine 7893 HU to an Eclipse 5444, and i noticed one thing i don't like. My sub output decreased greatly, it just doesn't hit hard like it did before. I turned up the non-fader (subwoofer level) and turned up the bass frequencies on the EQ, and it still doesn't sound loud. Sub is playing 100hz and below right now. I had to turn the gain up in order to make it loud, and its still not hitting like it did before. Any suggestions?

Slaugh
08-14-2005, 04:44 PM
gains? subwoofer output level? equalizations? bass boost? checked it all?

some hus put out more bass to the subwoofer than others and i always thought alpine was the weakest lol... if you want bass boom boom get the pioneer, it has the strongest bass of all the hus i think... but beware of the distortion when increasing the bass too much on it...

netherland24
08-14-2005, 04:51 PM
check ur remote wire see what it is rated. alpine is 4volts and thet eclipse is 5volt preout check to see if it isnt damaged. also check your gains as stated above.

ls1pimp
08-14-2005, 04:51 PM
gains? subwoofer output level? equalizations? bass boost? checked it all?

some hus put out more bass to the subwoofer than others and i always thought alpine was the weakest lol... if you want bass boom boom get the pioneer, it has the strongest bass of all the hus i think... but beware of the distortion when increasing the bass too much on it...

Subwoofer output level is 16/16, bass boost (loud) is on, i am using the custom 13 band EQ and boosted the subwoofer frequencies. Speaker bass increased enormously with this HU, but sub bass went down enormously too. I had to up the gain alot to get not even the same bass i was getting before. And yeah, checked it all.

ls1pimp
08-14-2005, 04:52 PM
check ur remote wire see what it is rated. alpine is 4volts and thet eclipse is 5volt preout check to see if it isnt damaged. also check your gains as stated above.

I did check the gains, i even had to raise them, because the sub was much too low after i swapped the HU's. I don't understand why you mean with the Remote wire, im sure its rated for up to 5 volts.

JLCivic
08-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Check the Xover frequency. If an alpine's pre outs are better than an eclipse's, your eclipse is broken.

Alpine2005
08-14-2005, 05:18 PM
does the sub sound louder with the Eclipse but doesn't hit as hard as it did with your alpine?

bimma85
08-14-2005, 05:21 PM
I did check the gains, i even had to raise them, because the sub was much too low after i swapped the HU's. I don't understand why you mean with the Remote wire, im sure its rated for up to 5 volts.
Remote should measure around 12v not 5v. Two words for ya man. Search and DMM.

ls1pimp
08-14-2005, 05:32 PM
does the sub sound louder with the Eclipse but doesn't hit as hard as it did with your alpine?

Bingo. :D It actually sounds as loud, if not louder, but you can't feel it as much.

ls1pimp
08-14-2005, 06:01 PM

how did you know that was my problem?

Alpine2005
08-14-2005, 10:02 PM
i've had the same problem with amps.

for example i have two amps with the same wattage. a Kenwood and a PG.

Powering the same sub, the kenwood will make the sub hit hard but not as loud.

The PG will make the sub sound louder but it won't hit as hard.

even if you try adjusting every seting, it will still sound the same. it wierd

- then subs hit hard, the cone moves outwards alot more so it moves more air and thats why you can feel it
but cuz the cone moves so much it gets to its maximum excursion and then it will start to distort and it won't get any louder

- then subs don't hit hard, the cone moves less and wont distort as quickly so that why you can turn it up same more and will sounds louder.

My PG Amp is more efficient than my kenwood

i guess its because the Eclipse is more efficient than the Alpine

the more efficient the amp, the poorer the sound quality but louder

ls1pimp
08-15-2005, 01:28 AM
i've had the same problem with amps.

for example i have two amps with the same wattage. a Kenwood and a PG.

Powering the same sub, the kenwood will make the sub hit hard but not as loud.

The PG will make the sub sound louder but it won't hit as hard.

even if you try adjusting every seting, it will still sound the same. it wierd

- then subs hit hard, the cone moves outwards alot more so it moves more air and thats why you can feel it
but cuz the cone moves so much it gets to its maximum excursion and then it will start to distort and it won't get any louder

- then subs don't hit hard, the cone moves less and wont distort as quickly so that why you can turn it up same more and will sounds louder.

My PG Amp is more efficient than my kenwood

i guess its because the Eclipse is more efficient than the Alpine

the more efficient the amp, the poorer the sound quality but louder

Umm, I didn't touch the sub amp, just switched out the HU. Sub is still running off the same amp.

Slaugh
08-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Umm, I didn't touch the sub amp, just switched out the HU. Sub is still running off the same amp.
well you gotta reajust the gain my dear :uhoh:

94CamryBumpin
08-15-2005, 09:56 AM
the p860MP is a bomb *** deck for subwoofer output...the sub output level on the HU is still on zero...reset the gains...and everything and its still so **** loud...

tRiGgEr
08-15-2005, 10:07 AM
It might be possible you had it set wrong, or distorted on the alpine. Then with the eclipse you set it right.

I love reading your threads. They are endless ramblings. Very intertaining

3.5Max6spd
08-15-2005, 12:37 PM
do you have the 'loud' function on?

ls1pimp
08-15-2005, 11:08 PM
do you have the 'loud' function on?

Yeah i do.