PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass inside of box

albarran9
08-14-2005, 05:40 AM
i'm about to build my box and i heard some one say that if you put fiberglass inside of the box it will insure an airtight seal? were they talking about puting fiber glass on the mdf or resin and would this work?

Acidburn
08-14-2005, 05:42 AM
just resin and yes, it makes sure the box is airtight

albarran9
08-14-2005, 05:44 AM
i think i'm gonna try it. should i do the whole interior of the box or just the seemes?

Acidburn
08-14-2005, 05:46 AM
seems = good, whole box = better

albarran9
08-14-2005, 05:48 AM
gotcha. how heavy do you think i should go, would one layer be enough?

Acidburn
08-14-2005, 05:49 AM
yep, 1 layer is fine
for the seams, you can just pour a little in, set it in on an angle and let gravity do the trick

albarran9
08-14-2005, 05:56 AM
i hope it works to seal the box up air tight cuz my box that i use right now has some air leaks in it. if i put resin in side the box i might be able to salvage it?

Acidburn
08-14-2005, 05:57 AM
yep, resin should seal it up quite well as long as the holes areny hugely huge

albarran9
08-14-2005, 06:01 AM
ohh glad to hear that. i wanted to make sure my bass sounded good for the drive to school since classes start this friday. i'm gonna try and see if i can salvage the box to save time and money. i was hoping to build one befor school started, but i guess i'll have some more time to think up of plans for a ported box since my trunk in my civic is small.

TwistedMovistar
08-14-2005, 06:31 AM
that fiberglass resin is nice. alittle advice, make sure that you mix it right, or else the resin will not harden at all

nametaken
08-14-2005, 10:56 AM
If you have large holes, tape the other side of the hole, that way the resin doesnt leak all the way through and not seal anything.

albarran9
08-14-2005, 12:14 PM
If you have large holes, tape the other side of the hole, that way the resin doesnt leak all the way through and not seal anything.

thanks for the tip. i already put liquid nails silicon on the outside seams of the box to try and stop the air leaks so that should stop the resin from bleeding all the way to the out side. i do have some very small leaks which i have been not able to pinpoint out which means they must be really small.

ruckus
08-14-2005, 03:26 PM
but i guess i'll have some more time to think up of plans for a ported box since my trunk in my civic is small.

what year civic you got? I have an 05 civic and the trunk is bigger than my 94 corsica, 89 Olds 98 regency, and 87 grand marquis. friggin thing will hold 3 bodies in it. (2 fatties ;))

albarran9
08-14-2005, 03:40 PM
i'v got a 95 civic. i was wanting to glass my whole trunk and put some subs in the wheel well (spare tire) but that will be after i paint my car and glass the inside to match the outside. or i might just build a box and put fiber glass on the out side or put on spray bedliner to give it a more custom look. that will be some time im the next 6 months i hope.

SQ is the SQUAD
08-25-2005, 10:25 PM
just the thread i was lookibng for (thanks search button)

i am trying to get my measurement together to start building my box, i planed on screwing the box together with gorilla glue in the seems then using some resin over to get all the seems pretty hard. so i take it that i dont have to use any of that itchy fiberglass materal over the seems, thats good. seeing that my box is going to be a pretty tight fit how pratical is it trying to seal/screw the box together while its inside the car? any tips?

BigOso
08-26-2005, 12:46 AM
You do not need to use any mat or any other product besides the resin. As for doing a build in, I built my box and I have to take out all the trunk panels to get it in then try and pecie it back to gether with the woofer and box in there. Needless to say it is a ***** but I would rather do that than a build in.

nametaken
08-26-2005, 12:53 AM
If your just making a simple box, wood glue is fine.

walkychalky
08-26-2005, 02:47 AM
i used wood glue to put my box together then sealed all seams with silicone.....would it be ok to put a coat of resin on top of that?

PowerNaudio
08-26-2005, 10:10 AM
i dont see, the problem with that. but then again i have never used a combination of silicone and fiberglass resin to seal anything, so i dont know if the resin will deteriorate the silicon. i know the resin messes up my silicone gloves after a while. but dont think thats the same silicone.