PDA

View Full Version : Masking Tape Replacement? Duct Tape??

Omarvelous
08-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Hey guys

Taped up my truck to being some fiberglassing. Didn't plan on doing it that same day, but i just like to plan ahead.

Well it's over 100 today, and like all the tape has raised.

Any1 recommend using Duct Tape?

I know it can be a pain in the *** to remove. Any1 done it?

Do you think the outter material won't interact negatively with the resin?

Let me know!!

ss3079
08-13-2005, 05:30 PM
I used duct tape for half of my enclosure ... masking tape for the rest. When I pulled the mold and peeled the tape off, the area taped with the duct tape looked thin for some reason. I added layers to the inside on the entire mold and it turned out fine :) After the next layer you couldn't see any difference.

The blue or green painters tape works fine - you can find that in wide rolls for fairly cheap. Don't know if you can find it cheaper than masking tape in your area or not.

Omarvelous
08-13-2005, 05:58 PM
But from my understanding of the Blue tape,

Its made more to come off the easiest. And being that i'm taping a lot of carpet area, i will need something that appends to the Carpet easily.

I'mm check 3M's site.

ruckus
08-14-2005, 02:35 PM
The blue or green painters tape works fine - you can find that in wide rolls for fairly cheap. Don't know if you can find it cheaper than masking tape in your area or not.
I use painters tape but you have to either coat it with turtle wax or remove it before the piece completely dries or its a ***** to remove.

ss3079
08-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I use painters tape but you have to either coat it with turtle wax or remove it before the piece completely dries or its a ***** to remove.

An absolute PITA to remove if you don't use some sort of release agent. I'm sure you've had your fun trying to remove the tape without using some sort of wax eh? :p: