PDA

View Full Version : Cable Splitter

vosschs
08-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Okay, I can't figure this out ...

My GF recently cracked and finally got cable TV, which we got yesterday. I already have cable internet as you guys may know. I bought a splitter to split the cable signal but I lose internet when I use the splitter.

I can't really figure out why it won't work.

Ideas ?

Also, if anyone can suggest something that will work (and is cheap), that would be great ...
is it the same company? we had it where our cable net and tv was different and didnt work on a
splitter

chinny
08-13-2005, 03:29 PM
the cable splitter should have one end for the input and 2 ends for outputs, the input should go directly to the wall signal then u can split it for cable internet and cable tv

lostsoul
08-13-2005, 10:14 PM
If the signal is to weak it wont go thru the splitter. The internet also takes a higher signal to run then the TV. You can try getting a signal booster, or a higher mhz splitter. Best thing to do is have another outlet.

lostsoul
08-13-2005, 10:58 PM
dosent really matter the distance. I have people call me all day with the same issue

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D2586

theres a good one

AndyB
08-13-2005, 11:29 PM
we had to get a router or something.. cant remember, but then we got another line and got rid of it.

DBfan187
08-13-2005, 11:32 PM
my cable modem has an inline booster, also has all of our phones on it as our cable provider is our phone company too.

stones
08-13-2005, 11:39 PM
I would go apeshit on the Cable company to fix it, its their responsibility as you pay them for your service and its their job to ensure everything works for you.

If they want to be ***** about it and refuse to correct the problem start burning down their familys houses untill they change their mind(or switch to a different provider).

lostsoul
08-13-2005, 11:46 PM
I would go apeshit on the Cable company to fix it, its their responsibility as you pay them for your service and its their job to ensure everything works for you.

If they want to be ***** about it and refuse to correct the problem start burning down their familys houses untill they change their mind(or switch to a different provider).

If they are like us(time warner) they dont give a ****. They'll charge you to add another outlet to the room then you will be fine.

DBfan187
08-13-2005, 11:52 PM
If they are like us(time warner) they dont give a ****. They'll charge you to add another outlet to the room then you will be fine.I have a shitload of your splitters. Dad used to work for them.

JimJ
08-14-2005, 10:47 PM
A splitter has a frequency rating becuase when you go much over 1GHz, the wavelengths become so short that the internal parts start becoming resonant.

I would try a high quality distribution amplifier, and low loss cable (like RG-6QS or whatever the Belden equivalent is)...

Black_Jesus
08-15-2005, 01:21 AM
get a bi-directional splitter from radioshack, it costs like 9.99 its the new gold series "cable tv splitter" go in and grab one, i can guarantee it will work

Black_Jesus
08-15-2005, 01:23 AM
here is the one u need http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-2587

be careful, there ARE different ones, radioshack carries like 3 diff model 2 ways, so just use this catalog number when u go in, they can look it up for u

15-2587

Black_Jesus
08-15-2005, 01:27 AM
i got one here brand new in the box if u want it... i needed a 4 way and never bothered to bring it back

TeenWolf
08-16-2005, 03:55 AM
If they are like us(time warner) they dont give a ****. They'll charge you to add another outlet to the room then you will be fine.

Yup...that's what they're all like. Their philosopy is that you own the wires in your home and you're responsible for them. And fair enough...I wouldn't expect the electrical company to come in and fix a broken outlet for free.