PDA

View Full Version : glassing inside of ported?

diminishedpower
08-13-2005, 11:12 AM
i was just wondering how much that affects performance because ive heard of people glassing the inside of the ported box. My other question is how much of a difference would u notice in performance between two same boxes but one is glassed inside and wood is put in all corners to round off?

fo0manchu
08-13-2005, 12:49 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but glassing the inside of a box would only make it stiffer and might dampen the sound a little more. I guess if you box was fairly big, glassing it would give you less wall flex and increase sound quality. But if the box already had proper bracing then I wouldn't think that there would be a big difference in performance between glassing it or not. Just my thoughts.

diminishedpower
08-13-2005, 01:29 PM
ive heard it like gives less resistance so on a mic it might ad like .5 db or less or more?? thats what im curious is how much or if its total bogus

skeptikal
08-13-2005, 01:31 PM
it also comes in handy when you are trying to eliminte standing waves that tend to occur in ported boxes. Bondo up the corners throw some resin over 'em and sand 'em down and boom no more angles

ruckus
08-13-2005, 01:41 PM
it also comes in handy when you are trying to eliminte standing waves that tend to occur in ported boxes. Bondo up the corners throw some resin over 'em and sand 'em down and boom no more angles
yup not glassing it but putting resin and rounding the corners. the resin puts a seal on it so no air escapes and it smooths the wood completley. glassing it would put more angles and you end up having to bondo the glass.

round the corners (preferably by bondo) then run a layer of polyester resin through the whole inside of the box and you have a smooth rounded finish.

diminishedpower
08-13-2005, 01:44 PM
reason i ask is im builiding new box and i was just wondering how much a difference it would make if i spent the time to resin and bondo like u said?

fo0manchu
08-13-2005, 05:04 PM
how round of corners would you have to make, i mean in terms of size that is?

ruckus
08-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Its probably in the .5dB range which isnt much unless your competing then .5 is the difference between first and second ;)