PDA

View Full Version : WTF is ESN on the Eclipse decks?????

ravens9322
08-12-2005, 02:00 AM
I have heard about locked and unlocked ESN's for a while now and I still dont know what the hell they are or what the hell their used for.

Please help this is racking my brain.:crazy:

Beat_Dominator
08-12-2005, 02:04 AM
It is Eclipse's anti-theft protection. Once activated, if the unit is unplugged or stolen, it will not turn back on without the activation CD, or you can send it to Eclipse and they can reset the unit.

bri487
08-12-2005, 02:13 AM
i think if it is stolen within the first two years, eclipse will cover the deck, but they will probably fight it like crazy. in my eyes it is a pointless option. even though i love eclipse decks and have owned over ten of them, i still find it pointless. if a theif wants it he/she will take it without knowing about the deactivation feature and find out what they have later.

ravens9322
08-12-2005, 02:26 AM
thank you guys...now that i know what an ESN is, I can die without any questions left to ask.

lol

Thanks Again

smgreen20
08-13-2005, 02:16 AM
Since no one defined ESN for you, ESN= Eclipse Security Network. Now you know what it stands for as well as what it does.

faulkton
08-13-2005, 02:23 AM
i think if it is stolen within the first two years, eclipse will cover the deck, but they will probably fight it like crazy. in my eyes it is a pointless option. even though i love eclipse decks and have owned over ten of them, i still find it pointless. if a theif wants it he/she will take it without knowing about the deactivation feature and find out what they have later.

I had one taken back in like 99, wasnt a pain to get replaced at all. Just needed a copy of the police report as well as sales slip. I didnt actually deal with eclipse directly though...went threw the auth retailer i bought it from. Still got a new deck though.

JLCivic
08-13-2005, 07:30 AM

The theft warranty is one year. I don't think ESN is pointless at all. Sure some thieves won't know about it, but look at it this way. ESN has been around for over 10 years. One place many stolen decks probably get sold is at Pawn shops. Well, after a pawn shop sells an eclipse that is a paperweight, I bet they are a little less likely to take in more "used" eclipse decks. If the pawn shops' demand for the items go down, the thief at least has more work to do to move the stolen product.

Also, and I have said this a bazillion times, if detach face is such a great, theft proof, option, why don't those manufacturers offer a theft warranty? It would be easy enough to do.

Also, you rarely see posts about Eclipses being stolen(I ran them for a decade with no problems).

If you want to keep your system safe, there are MUCH more important things than your deck's type of security. Keep a low profile(no booming your system where you live, and no steal me stickers).

bri487
08-15-2005, 01:05 AM
The theft warranty is one year. I don't think ESN is pointless at all. Sure some thieves won't know about it, but look at it this way. ESN has been around for over 10 years. One place many stolen decks probably get sold is at Pawn shops. Well, after a pawn shop sells an eclipse that is a paperweight, I bet they are a little less likely to take in more "used" eclipse decks. If the pawn shops' demand for the items go down, the thief at least has more work to do to move the stolen product.

Also, and I have said this a bazillion times, if detach face is such a great, theft proof, option, why don't those manufacturers offer a theft warranty? It would be easy enough to do.

Also, you rarely see posts about Eclipses being stolen(I ran them for a decade with no problems).

If you want to keep your system safe, there are MUCH more important things than your deck's type of security. Keep a low profile(no booming your system where you live, and no steal me stickers).

i too have had over a dozen eclipse decks. the main thing keeping you from seeing eclipses being stolen is that they are not nearly as common as kenwood, pioneer, alpine, etc... if you have a system and a theif wants it, owning an eclipse deck is not going to keep your head unit from being stolen as well.

when the theif gets too the pawn shop and finds out that the eclipse he stole has been deactivated, it is too late. he is not going to bring it back and apoligize. your deck is long gone.

common sense is your best bet on keeping your gear. esn aint gonna do **** for you if you flaunt it everywhere around town.

so what it comes down too, esn is a marketing device. they offer you a false sense of security. all you need to keep you equipment is a little common sense as i previously stated.

JLCivic
08-15-2005, 06:59 AM
i too have had over a dozen eclipse decks. the main thing keeping you from seeing eclipses being stolen is that they are not nearly as common as kenwood, pioneer, alpine, etc... if you have a system and a theif wants it, owning an eclipse deck is not going to keep your head unit from being stolen as well.

when the theif gets too the pawn shop and finds out that the eclipse he stole has been deactivated, it is too late. he is not going to bring it back and apoligize. your deck is long gone.

common sense is your best bet on keeping your gear. esn aint gonna do **** for you if you flaunt it everywhere around town.

so what it comes down too, esn is a marketing device. they offer you a false sense of security. all you need to keep you equipment is a little common sense as i previously stated.

I don't think ESN or any other type of deck security should give any of us a "this could never be stolen" attitude. I agree with you, the key to keeping your gear is common sense(low profile). As for the pawn shop example, the thieves who steal often should certainly know by now that eclipses are useless if stolen, and pawn shops probably won't take them. Detach face decks get stolen all the time(or so the posts on the forums indicate) with or without faces attached.

As for fewer eclipses getting stolen because there are fewer of them out there, over the past couple of years, insurance stats have been posted on a few forums indicating the ridiculously low % of eclipses stolen or something along those lines. The local shop has sold eclipse for 13-14 years and has never had an ESN claim.

I also prefer to have a solid faceplate. Detach faces can become loose over time(or get broken, etc).

It is personal preference.

bri487
08-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I also prefer to have a solid faceplate. Detach faces can become loose over time(or get broken, etc).

It is personal preference.

esn is a waste of time. if people had common sense, there would be no need for a marketing technique such as esn.

as for the solid face versus detatchable, i think the new eclipses, 05 models, blow ***. the face on my 8455 and 5435 are crap. they have so much play in them. when the bass hits the whole face jiggles. it can move up to 1/8" in some spots. the knobs also shake like crazy. now the alpine that i use in my everyday truck, which is a 9830, and also a 9855, done move one bit. solid as a rock compared to my new eclipses. the ole ones were much better. to solve the problem, i think eclipse needs to work on a better, sturdier system for their tilt face feature.

3.5Max6spd
08-15-2005, 04:28 PM
esn is a waste of time. if people had common sense, there would be no need for a marketing technique such as esn..

I'll take my 'false sense of security', and get my deck replaced for free within a year if stolen- dont see any other manufacturer doing that, particularly if a removable face is supposedly effective...BS

to solve the problem, i think eclipse needs to work on a better, sturdier system for their tilt face feature.

Weird -I've heard no complaints other than yours, nor have any of my own- my buttons , nor face 'jiggle'..

Hard to believe you dislike the decks, when you 'say' you have 2 of them-same face.....doesn't make sense to me.

JLCivic
08-15-2005, 04:40 PM
I'll take my 'false sense of security', and get my deck replaced for free within a year if stolen- dont see any other manufacturer doing that, particularly if a removable face is supposedly effective...BS

Weird -I've heard no complaints other than yours, nor have any of my own- my buttons , nor face 'jiggle'..

Hard to believe you dislike the decks, when you 'say' you have 2 of them-same face.....doesn't make sense to me.
X2 It isn't simply a "marketing technique" if Eclipse backs it up. Where are the detach face manufacturers' theft warranties?

Any motorized eclipse face I have seen has been rock solid(including this year's 5 series model). I have not seen an 05 8 series in person, however.

Justintoxicated
08-15-2005, 06:22 PM
esn is a waste of time. if people had common sense, there would be no need for a marketing technique such as esn.

as for the solid face versus detatchable, i think the new eclipses, 05 models, blow ***. the face on my 8455 and 5435 are crap. they have so much play in them. when the bass hits the whole face jiggles. it can move up to 1/8" in some spots. the knobs also shake like crazy. now the alpine that i use in my everyday truck, which is a 9830, and also a 9855, done move one bit. solid as a rock compared to my new eclipses. the ole ones were much better. to solve the problem, i think eclipse needs to work on a better, sturdier system for their tilt face feature.

Don't have this problem on my CD5444, They got real cheap on the new ones. I compaired them both in the store there is a Huge difference in the solid feel of last years compaired to this years.

ESN is not a waste, I get off on knowing the theif just risked going to jail stealing my HU that won't even work. It's like a little payback for smashing in your window. Still sucsk though, but I would feel better knowing that what they stole will not even work then knowing they got away with a working HU.

bri487
08-16-2005, 01:08 AM

as soon as i can, i will post a vid of it. they jiggle like mad. after the 05 models came out and after owning two of them, i wont get another until they improve their face design. i feel that their build quality has dramaitcally decreased.

bri487
08-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Don't have this problem on my CD5444, They got real cheap on the new ones. I compaired them both in the store there is a Huge difference in the solid feel of last years compaired to this years.

exactly i had an 04 model and went to the 05 and it was a night and day difference between the build quality.