PDA

View Full Version : Resin to Acetone Ratio

boister77
08-11-2005, 06:18 PM
i want to coat the inside of my enclosure with resin. to keep it uniform and flat, i want to use a paint roller. i know you can add acetone to resin to thin it out. however, how much is too much? is there a common ratio like 1:1? thanks!

fo0manchu
08-12-2005, 02:41 AM
is your enclosure fiberglass? Resin will flatten itself out, no need for acetone. It is viscous enough. However, its gonna be tough getting the vertical surfaces as all the resing will run down. And correct me if I'm wrong, but 1:1 is way too much. In paint applications, they use up to 50% to thin and thats on the high side. Usually go with a quarter or a third thinning agent.

req
08-12-2005, 02:51 AM
dont mix the resin with anything, it should do fine by itself shon.

boister77
08-12-2005, 04:15 AM
the 1:1 ratio was only an example. the reason i wanted to thin out the resin was because i wanted to use a paint roller instead of a brush because the new box i'm working on is really huge. when i tried using a roller, it was a bit hard to spread since the resin is fairly thick. i decided to give the resin with a little acetone today on a test mdf pannel. it made all the difference and when it dried, i didn't see any differences.

fo0manchu
08-13-2005, 06:06 PM
the 1:1 ratio was only an example. the reason i wanted to thin out the resin was because i wanted to use a paint roller instead of a brush because the new box i'm working on is really huge. when i tried using a roller, it was a bit hard to spread since the resin is fairly thick. i decided to give the resin with a little acetone today on a test mdf pannel. it made all the difference and when it dried, i didn't see any differences.

Thats strange, usually I use a roller on big panels and have had no problem rolling it on. But anyways, if it worked for you then great! Hope everything comes out well.

req
08-13-2005, 07:29 PM
i was gonna say, because the resin i have would work great with a roller. but like your test, you can just add it until its thin enough, but i wouldnt add too much.