PDA

View Full Version : New Comp Setup

Fate710
08-10-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm wanting to start competition in either Street 2 or Stock 2. Maybe both. Anyway I'm ditchin the Audio Blings over winter and upgrading. Help me decide though to what.

TREO CSX
Memphis MOJO
RE SX or XXX
Incriminator Audio Death Penalty

I will be running 2 12s. I can go a total of 36" wide and 25" tall with about 25-30 inches deep if need be. After deciding will someone be willing to make me some plans(will pay) so I can start my Competition futre.

tRiGgEr
08-10-2005, 06:18 PM
If you're entering comps, don't you want to build it yourself:confused:

Echo42987
08-10-2005, 06:19 PM
If you're entering comps, don't you want to build it yourself:confused:

^^^^Agreed, but everyone starts somewhere I guess

and I'm voting in the Treo, mad loud!

and like everyone else will vote the RE's which one is entirely up to you.

Fate710
08-10-2005, 06:28 PM
i will build it myself but I don't know how to design a box.

tRiGgEr
08-11-2005, 12:41 PM
i will build it myself but I don't know how to design a box.

Then you can't enter a comp. Learn first.

Fate710
08-11-2005, 12:53 PM
wtf why not?

Meka
08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
I would personally go with the treo's or DP's. Its also a good idea to do tons of research before you start building and desining your box(wish i would have done this,lol). Its gonna be difficult to get loud in that vehicle but if you do enough testing you might get a pretty decent score. Its all about the testing!

Fate710
08-11-2005, 04:10 PM
yea I know about testing. I don't have a problem building different boxes. Is there any software I can use to build a box?

On the sub note I think I'm going to order 2 of the 12" DPs.

Meka
08-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Good start would be winISD or Bass Box Pro 6.

audiolife
08-11-2005, 05:09 PM
yea I know about testing. I don't have a problem building different boxes. Is there any software I can use to build a box?

On the sub note I think I'm going to order 2 of the 12" DPs.
what kind of vehicle is this?

tRiGgEr
08-11-2005, 05:12 PM
wtf why not?

Not to be rude, but unless you do the leg work and install, that trophy you could win means squat. There is no pride in it...

Just my pesos...

audiolife
08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Not to be rude, but unless you do the leg work and install, that trophy you could win means squat. There is no pride in it...

Just my pesos...
disagree he might have a vision and an installer can show him how to do it. thats about how 3/4's (at least in the 90's comp guys) of the people learn and its usually cheaper than going to mobile dynamics lol and i still see it going on in spl today (would see it more in sq if more people competed lol) . also you shouldnt take away the pride in the learning. some people are better thinkers than doers and vice versa

Fate710
08-11-2005, 06:05 PM
yea I can build pretty much anything you can imagine. I used to build suspensions for 4wd trucks here locally so I can do the build part.

This is going into a 95 Wrangler.

Also, thanks to all that think I can actually compete with a Wrangler.

I plan on coating the entire inside tub(firewall too) in liquid sound deadner, the doors in it, the hard top(inside and out), and underneath the tub in sound deader. Under the hood will be getting sound deadner also.

audiolife
08-11-2005, 07:15 PM
this should be intresting

xchaosx
08-12-2005, 09:47 AM
this should be intresting

i 2nd that

Fate710
08-12-2005, 10:03 AM
well i'm currently workin a deal with a guy for 4 12" MA subs and 2 Orion 2500Ds

ngsm13
08-12-2005, 10:11 AM
You CAN do it...but you won't get good results in a wrangler.

/story

NG

btnhfan
08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Ive said it before... get a different car

Also dont do all that deadening before you test without it.

You may lose a lot, and it would be a waste

Fate710
08-12-2005, 03:26 PM
yea the deadning won't happen till after I figure out what I'm running and try a few configs

Spkrman
08-12-2005, 03:38 PM
the car can get loud!

anything can get loud... just takes work.

Start with a given power, strong electrical system, and go from there. Going from the "best" to the worst woofer will be a difference of about 3db - assuming the woof at least handles the power, so it pretty much comes down to pick one and get loud :)

Fate710
08-12-2005, 04:06 PM
well I'm working on gettign 2 of the Orion 2500Ds. I was going to get davesexplorer's 4 MA Hard Kores but I think I'll go a different route with the subs.

Spkrman
08-12-2005, 04:16 PM
2 of the 2500's good power.

You want something extremely effeciant that still handles the juice.

Savstyle
08-12-2005, 04:25 PM
get the DP's

Spkrman
08-12-2005, 04:41 PM
if your goin 4 12's get something that has a rating off approx 400-600 RMS, wire the amps to .5

bri487
08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
i know you are going to get into competition, but is this going to be a daily driver as well. if you are going to use this system for anything else besides comps, stay away from the csx, i would do the the ssx personally.

as for the whole jeep not getting loud, what would you have to say about a boat getting loud. i know that if you dump that system into a crx, it will have more potential, but at the same time i have heard crazy loud convertables and what not. jsut have to put more r&d into the design part

Spkrman
08-12-2005, 05:01 PM
i know you are going to get into competition, but is this going to be a daily driver as well. if you are going to use this system for anything else besides comps, stay away from the csx, i would do the the ssx personally.

as for the whole jeep not getting loud, what would you have to say about a boat getting loud. i know that if you dump that system into a crx, it will have more potential, but at the same time i have heard crazy loud convertables and what not. jsut have to put more r&d into the design part

i've gotten boats loud? lol :)

130db no matter where you stand is very interesting :D

btnhfan
08-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Well if you were getting 4 12's your out of street b.

Unless you have 2 extras.

Spkrman
08-12-2005, 05:29 PM
i'd build a MECA setup personally... jeeps make decent driveby cars.

+ meca is more fun anyway.

Fate710
08-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I have been leaning more towards the Meca Drive By. Seems to be more MECA around my area than anything else.

I'm thinking instead of the 4 12s idea I may just go with 1 18" Solo X.

This is going to be a daily drive till I get the new setup in. I have a toyota pickup on bags to drive everyday once I get the new setup. This will be driven to shows, comps, and on cruise nights and thats it.

bri487
08-12-2005, 07:00 PM
i've gotten boats loud? lol :)

130db no matter where you stand is very interesting :D

i wasnt disputing that. i have owned boats that are well into the 130's in the water. i was just stating that if you can make a boat loud, you can make a jeep loud. all it takes is trial and error.

ruckus
08-16-2005, 02:07 PM

Just my pesos...
your so full of ****

99% of the sq competitors have their stuff built by others. Why is SPL any different? I build my own **** but I even had my old box designed by JMAC so everyone uses help sometimes nothing wrong with it.

Muddin get your subs and I will help you design a box. (You would have to build it though)

Meka
08-16-2005, 03:09 PM
First off he said thats his opinion, 2nd your comparing sq to spl......thats.....so....wrong....

audiolife
08-16-2005, 03:58 PM
First off he said thats his opinion, 2nd your comparing sq to spl......thats.....so....wrong....
on a competitive basis how so? steve cook and chris norris i know build spl vehicles for others and more than 1 or 2 lol. some people have an idea that works some people can fabricate some can do both....

Meka
08-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, If you would feel proud that you paid somebody to build a vehicle you won with more power to ya. Helping is one thing..complelty building is another.

audiolife
08-16-2005, 04:11 PM
lalalalala

tRiGgEr
08-16-2005, 04:14 PM
It was my opinion...

Personal accoplishment > all

At least to me.

And It's not to hard to learn this stuff. Give it a shot first at least.

audiolife
08-16-2005, 04:26 PM
It was my opinion...

Personal accoplishment > all

At least to me.

And It's not to hard to learn this stuff. Give it a shot first at least.
depending on how serious you are. learning from the people who build your vehicle= less time and probably net you better results than researching it all yourself then go through months and years of trial and error. most of the real good spl guys been doing it for 5 years or more on a serious level so they already been through the trial and error already. usually on a cost effective approach if you scrap 2 or 3 systems to finally get what you want you probably already would have spent the same amount as you would have getting it done right to begin with. basically why waste time to research when you can see all your research unfold in your car. most installers are glad to explain things as long as the car's owner isnt a retard about things lol there is nothing wrong with wanting a job done right but there is also come to a degree of understanding what needs to be done inwhich to achieve the results you want

ruckus
08-16-2005, 04:33 PM
I agree who says you need to know how to design boxes to have a good setup. Most box designers built their first boxes either with someon elses designs or no design at all. I didnt make my own designs till my probably 7th box. Yeah I can do it now and they sound good but I had to learn by seeing other peoples designs and picking up stuff from people that already build. Last time i checked alot of people were using snailshell and doubleshot boxes you know **** well they didnt design the boxes ;)

Meka
08-16-2005, 04:41 PM
lalalalala

tRiGgEr
08-16-2005, 04:44 PM
depending on how serious you are. learning from the people who build your vehicle= less time and probably net you better results than researching it all yourself then go through months and years of trial and error. most of the real good spl guys been doing it for 5 years or more on a serious level so they already been through the trial and error already. usually on a cost effective approach if you scrap 2 or 3 systems to finally get what you want you probably already would have spent the same amount as you would have getting it done right to begin with. basically why waste time to research when you can see all your research unfold in your car. most installers are glad to explain things as long as the car's owner isnt a retard about things lol there is nothing wrong with wanting a job done right but there is also come to a degree of understanding what needs to be done inwhich to achieve the results you want

Good points.

audiolife
08-16-2005, 04:52 PM
ok we will take a top spl installer have him put a system in the same car same class as you and when he wins by 3-6 db you will see why. the owner (if he has ambitions to why) will already know what you dont so if he wants to build his second system he will at least have that knowlege that you didnt. it isnt all "that guy just wins because he has so much !#!#!# equipment" it takes know how to make it work its best. you might ask people like scottie or chris norris for advice but since they are in the bizz they have a right to make money on it. to me if you are going to spend thousands of dollars to compete you might as well do it right.

Spkrman
08-16-2005, 10:53 PM
ok we will take a top spl installer have him put a system in the same car same class as you and when he wins by 3-6 db you will see why. the owner (if he has ambitions to why) will already know what you dont so if he wants to build his second system he will at least have that knowlege that you didnt. it isnt all "that guy just wins because he has so much !#!#!# equipment" it takes know how to make it work its best. you might ask people like scottie or chris norris for advice but since they are in the bizz they have a right to make money on it. to me if you are going to spend thousands of dollars to compete you might as well do it right.

exactly... it took YEARS to get to the point I'm at now. 150 is easy.... but give me the same equipment 2 years ago and a 145 would have been dam near impossible.

I learned the hard way, which can be avoided if you have the $.

That being said... I can give someone my car doing a 152... not tell them squat about what goes where what volume what note... all that... and chances are they can't just go into the lanes and poot out a 50. There is also a much greater chance that they will blow something up.