PDA

View Full Version : Going to build my first box...

mini-goog
08-10-2005, 04:35 PM
K, so i need a list of materials that i need to get, i have all the tools.. few q's

Basics.. First box for my first setup... 2 15" kicker comps.. i want to different boxes, not to big, something that can either fit in the trunk of a tuner car (lancer, civic ect)...

i read the sticky, so i guess since this is my first box ill go with a sealed so i dont mess things up...

i need wood, what kind?? how thick??

need a sealant- Gorrilla glue?

Wood Screws i have, ill use a few

does it matter what kind of material i use for carpeting??

And i need some deminsions, any help here?

also do you guys think i should go with one box, or two smaller?

Meka
08-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Ok this confuses me, what car is this going in? use 3/4 mdf,silicoln caulking, wood glue or gorilla glue.

mini-goog
08-10-2005, 04:49 PM
3/4 mdf whats mdf?

a car, probably a lancer, eclipse or civic, so a box that can fit in something like that

NhustlaR
08-10-2005, 05:11 PM
MDF is a compressed kind of "plywood" I dont know how to explain it. call up home depot, or a local store like that and ask them. Im sure they have some and its pretty cheap too.

Then, Go look up the specs for the subs online and see what is the recommended volume for a sealed box. you can use that size if you want, but it would be a gamble to how good your response is. Go to www.bcae1.com and look at the enclosure volume calculator, it will show you what your dimensions must be to have a certain volume for your box.

As for sealant and assembly, use 1 5/8 coarse threaded drywall screws and liquid nail. This has always worked great for a sealant for me.

this should be alright for your FIRST box.

mini-goog
08-10-2005, 05:39 PM
calculator is really complicated, has anyone built a box for these speakers yet? if i have the deminsions, i can build it..

mini-goog
08-10-2005, 06:08 PM
http://www.kicker.com/05/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2005/2005%20CompVR%20Sub%20Manual.pdf pg 8.... will that work?

SSS 18734
08-10-2005, 06:13 PM
i need wood, what kind?? how thick??

need a sealant- Gorrilla glue?

Wood Screws i have, ill use a few

does it matter what kind of material i use for carpeting??

And i need some deminsions, any help here?

also do you guys think i should go with one box, or two smaller?

3/4" MDF (medium Density Fiberboard) found at home depot/lowes
Elmer's Wood Glue.
Use box carpet, but I've heard of people using felt and velvet and suede and leather (i just bought some felt so ill let you know how that works out)
Buy a new pack of 1 5/8 wood screws

Also, don't forget Silicone Caulk

mini-goog
08-10-2005, 06:20 PM
http://www.kicker.com/05/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2005/2005%20CompVR%20Sub%20Manual.pdf pg 8.... will that work?
??

PhatTonyDeMarco
08-10-2005, 06:25 PM
??
Scroll down to the page that says "8" in the corner... It shows box dimensions for those subs. :rolleyes:

And Gorrila Glue is not a sealent by the way, it is a glue. And do not use it, use Elmers wood glue, because wood glue will form a chemical bond with the wood instead of just a physical bond like the Gorilla would. Use Silione Caulking to seal the edges up.

And you are yet to answer what type of car this is.. You have to know what car you have, stop naming cars and pick one. To give you dimensions, we would need dimensions of the trunk.

I hate these threads....

mini-goog
08-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Scroll down to the page that says "8" in the corner... It shows box dimensions for those subs. :rolleyes:

And Gorrila Glue is not a sealent by the way, it is a glue. And do not use it, use Elmers wood glue, because wood glue will form a chemical bond with the wood instead of just a physical bond like the Gorilla would. Use Silione Caulking to seal the edges up.

And you are yet to answer what type of car this is.. You have to know what car you have, stop naming cars and pick one. To give you dimensions, we would need dimensions of the trunk.

I hate these threads....

i definitly asked if the boxes on page 8 would work... scroll up

thanks for the glue tip

and i dont know yet, my birthdays soon, so ill get my liscense, and im gonna end up with an eclipse, civic, or lancer (any one used) , i have to pay for my car, so its kinda whatever i can get... i just wanna go ahead and make this

Moe Lester
08-10-2005, 06:39 PM
dont use gorilla glue or liquid nails... use wood glue for the reason phattony said. 1 5/8" drywall screws work great, or an 18g brad nailer is even faster :)

THUNDERBIRD
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
i will build u a box and ship it to u for a fee

PhatTonyDeMarco
08-10-2005, 09:54 PM
i will build u a box and ship it to u for a fee
:wow: Scammer?

How can you possibly do that and still even make any profit, without charging him an arm and a leg...?