PDA

View Full Version : Best/SQ - component set - NO budget help

bigman411
08-09-2005, 07:43 PM
OK, I have the JL 450/4 amp now. I have a mustang convertible. I need components that will do 150rms! I had kicker resolutions rs5 on a kicker 600.4 before. It was loud but not that loud and when i really cranked it up the mid bass ******. It was only 75 rms. Well now I have double the amp and i want really good components. I looked at the mb quart q series and also boston acoustics z5. I also saw oviously the focal utopia line. I need something really loud, lol and clear. My doors are 5 1/4. Should I get 6.5's? Whats the difference besides more bass in 6.5 components? I have a JL 13w7 on JL 1000/1 in trunk. Please help, my kicker stuff blew and i bought a JL 450/4 amp and now im looking at new components up front.

pwnt by pat
08-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Apparently the DLS Iridiums are amazing. Or you could go horns.

bigman411
08-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Where can you buy these DLS Iridiums. I remember looking at them, they only handle 100rms they said. Why is everyone saying these components. There not even 5 1/4. Who sells horns also, dont know really what those are. Is that even good quality?

pwnt by pat
08-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Image dynamics comes to mind *references sig*. Sounddomain has horns. You can do a lot with them, and they can run several thousand dollars per horn.

DLS Iridiums are 6.5" I thought. I know nothing about them.

bigman411
08-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Image dynamics comes to mind *references sig*. Sounddomain has horns. You can do a lot with them, and they can run several thousand dollars per horn.

DLS Iridiums are 6.5" I thought. I know nothing about them.

Ya but those are basic components. I want high end. Its really either boston acoustics z5 or z6 or the mb quarts q series.

pwnt by pat
08-09-2005, 09:03 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSCD2COMP

You will need an active crossover, eq with as many bands as you can get (31), and 8" midbass simiar to Kodas.

The crossover and eqs should run you 600+. The horns are 900. The kodas are discontinued so expect to offer A LOT for some used ones.

If you want to go high end, you can mix and match compression drivers and horn bodies.

And the cd-1e's, although the lowest ID horn, are still pretty high end quipment.

edit: http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74060

chefboyrlee
08-09-2005, 10:04 PM
i have the same amp. i'm running diamond audio hex 600 with silk tweets. great comp + amp match (imo). you might want the aluminum tweets if you have a convertible. i dont know about convertibles but in my wagon, the silk are can get pretty **** piercing.

bigman411
08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
i have the same amp. i'm running diamond audio hex 600 with silk tweets. great comp + amp match (imo). you might want the aluminum tweets if you have a convertible. i dont know about convertibles but in my wagon, the silk are can get pretty **** piercing.

whats difference between silk and aluminum? Also why those, there only $300 online and they only handle 100 rms it says. I want some high end speakers :). What about boston acoustics z5 or z6? Whats with frequency response also? some go to 22k and some go to 32k.

Raven
08-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Rainbow Reference, the infamous $7700 dollar comps from Rainbow. 1337 Euro speakers that add no color whatsoever to music.

Or if you want numbers to brag of, Oz Matrix comps have gotten the worlds only IASCA perfect score. I never heard them, but I bet they are pretty high up there, or had one insane installer.

packerfan
08-09-2005, 10:35 PM
whats difference between silk and aluminum? Also why those, there only $300 online and they only handle 100 rms it says. I want some high end speakers :). What about boston acoustics z5 or z6? Whats with frequency response also? some go to 22k and some go to 32k.

Price means nothing in regards to being 'high end' or not.

adam71
08-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Rainbow Reference, the infamous $7700 dollar comps from Rainbow. 1337 Euro speakers that add no color whatsoever to music.

Or if you want numbers to brag of, Oz Matrix comps have gotten the worlds only IASCA perfect score. I never heard them, but I bet they are pretty high up there, or had one insane installer.

Perfect as far as what?? RTA ??

adam71
08-09-2005, 10:57 PM
CDT HD series are pretty nice. They ask for up to and more power than your 150. Check them out.

http://www.cdtaudio.com/hd_series.htm

OnYrMrk
08-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Actually the Focal 165 K3P set at a measely $1400/set will be all you need. What you want is a different story. The K3P give you 2 6.5" midbass drivers with a fantastic tweeter. The Rainbows are incredible, but plan on spending incredible amounts for them too.

As a former owner of Horns (USD Waveguides), what was noted before in needing at least a 30band 1/3 octave equalizer is an absolute must. So figure on paying a bundle for the equipment. Then understand that they are not an instant "imaging wonder". You have to play with the positioning, figure about 4 to 40 hours for perfect imaging. Plus you will need a midbass driver to match it. Too much trouble. Are you planning on competing? If so maybe the horns will be perfect, but they are too much trouble for a daily driver when there are so many excellent component sets out there.

The Focals will handle 200w nominal, 400w max.

Don't take our word for it, listen to them yourself. And don't stand right in front of the speaker (not to think you would...) but step back about 4 feet from the display and listen to the imaging and the tonal balance, only then would I contemplate buying speakers.

Good luck in your hunt for great sound.

95Eclipse
08-09-2005, 11:53 PM
go with the Diamond D9 series... they are clean and have good tones... www.diamondaudio.com
pricey though... they have the 7" comps for about 1100 retail
very good speakers though..

MSSOKC
08-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Max Fi setup. Check them out at www.solen.ca They're Dyn clones, but sound every bit as good for a little cheaper. After running through various offerings from Boston, Focal, Diamond, CDT, and ID, I definitely would recommend the MaxFi's hands down. You'll have to have a custom passive built, or even better, just run them full active.

OlogyAudio
08-09-2005, 11:58 PM
check your PM box

HeatSeeker
08-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Even with horns, midbass, and all the eq and crossovers you need, would still probably cost less than a lot of these sets people are suggesting.......

Mackenzie
08-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Great set, and it comes with the warranty from audiosavings if anything goes wrong. This is a great ebay company to buy from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-ELITE-X6-5-6-5-600w-CAR-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ5795687951QQcategoryZ32819QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

adam71
08-10-2005, 06:30 AM
check your PM box

Hey man, can't you share with the group?? I'm on the market for different comps too. Except I'm looking more for raw drivers since my system will be active.

squeak9798
08-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey man, can't you share with the group?? I'm on the market for different comps too. Except I'm looking more for raw drivers since my system will be active.

So then, PM him.

squeak9798
08-10-2005, 11:42 AM

That was a highly, highly, highly modified vehicle. It was the "back seat driver"...yes, they relocated the steering/gas/brake/etc controls to the rear seat of the vehicle. They also had a very, very unorthodox speaker setup in terms of what speakers were located where and what speakers were playing. So, it was the installation and setup, NOT the speakers, that got them that score.

Audiolife was (is?) good friends with the people who built that car.

squeak9798
08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Price means nothing in regards to being 'high end' or not.

:word:

I honestly think you are going about this all wrong. Looking at price, and wanting "high end" does not entail you will actually end up with good sound. Instead of asking what costs the most, why not ask what sounds good, since that's what they are actually for? High end sound does not need to come at a high end price......Installation and tuning are far more important. And without that (installation and tuning), even your "high end" expensive speakers will sound like ***.

OlogyAudio
08-10-2005, 03:33 PM
You have a PM too...

audiolife
08-10-2005, 04:07 PM
That was a highly, highly, highly modified vehicle. It was the "back seat driver"...yes, they relocated the steering/gas/brake/etc controls to the rear seat of the vehicle. They also had a very, very unorthodox speaker setup in terms of what speakers were located where and what speakers were playing. So, it was the installation and setup, NOT the speakers, that got them that score.

Audiolife was (is?) good friends with the people who built that car.
all that was playing in the car was 2 tweeters and 2 5.25" midbasses and the only speaker that was oz in that set up was a rear tweeter. 1 side rear tweeter and the oppisite side of the fronts was playing (no sub at all) the other speakers were protech. the car had 4 protech 5.25's and 2 tweeters up front the rear was 2 oz tweeters and 6 oz 12's (they were never used in sq) now later on they did switch out the protechs for a 6.5" oz set (set up as a coax) and it ran constant 37's on rta by themselves 20-20k and could almost hit 120 db lol. with the subs on it sounded ok but the way they were set up (ib) they tended to run a little loud. the car didnt have a dash so to speak it was moved to the headliner and it had 2 huge kick panels with the protech (and later oz) speakers in it. the front was designed to run 20-20k by itself as what they tended to do with most of their comp cars. it was driveable and very unique little red lemans

adam71
08-10-2005, 04:11 PM
all that was playing in the car was 2 tweeters and 2 5.25" midbasses and the only speaker that was oz in that set up was a rear tweeter. 1 side rear tweeter and the oppisite side of the fronts was playing (no sub at all) the other speakers were protech. the car had 4 protech 5.25's and 2 tweeters up front the rear was 2 oz tweeters and 6 oz 12's (they were never used in sq) now later on they did switch out the protechs for a 6.5" oz set (set up as a coax) and it ran constant 37's on rta by themselves 20-20k and could almost hit 120 db lol. with the subs on it sounded ok but the way they were set up (ib) they tended to run a little loud. the car didnt have a dash so to speak it was moved to the headliner and it had 2 huge kick panels with the protech (and later oz) speakers in it. the front was designed to run 20-20k by itself as what they tended to do with most of their comp cars. it was driveable and very unique little red lemans

Hey, what year was that?? Was it around the late 90s or am I thinking of a differetnt car.?? I remember watching an IASCA finals video with the "backseat driver" and I thought it was from 97 or 98.

audiolife
08-10-2005, 04:13 PM
horns arent bad but its car dependant. if you have a huge center console horns might not be the ticket. they arent that hard to set up/install. they eq as well as anyother speaker i have tried (thats been tons) never had a set up nor seen a competition set up that didnt need/get alot of eq. a car is NOTHING like a home audio set up other than the fact they both use speakers. a car interior makes a huge diff as oppossed to an open room but to me thats rather obvious.

audiolife
08-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey, what year was that?? Was it around the late 90s or am I thinking of a differetnt car.?? I remember watching an IASCA finals video with the "backseat driver" and I thought it was from 97 or 98.
that was ryan bess's festiva the second backseat driver. it was alot different than the lemans. some say it was much better (had alot going on as oppossed to the lemans) it had a bab computer in it (dont see the need for that really its a big diagnostic tool) it was a neat car but wasnt the original. the lemans had black magic speakers in it in early 94 and pj's autosound ( about 20 other different manufacturers wanted in it) helped put in a protech italian speaker set that iirc sold for about 4-5k. pj's autosound (erie , pa)was the most dominate team/shop ever (thinking between the years 89-95 just about ever car they entered won world finals at least once). if you know of joe black's (aka time keeper on carstereo.com) car thats where it came from. in 95 is when the all oz speaker set came into play but after the 40. kirk perry was my installer before he retired the lemans was his. he was also doing another car that would have set a new bench mark in sq was a near back seat driver 87 mazda rx 7 but iasca outlawed them into one class and at the time only had like 2 cars nation wide in that class so they stopped building it. it only had 3 source points and sounded REALLY big (heard it with basically no interior in it) it had 3 aria (now memphis) sync 8's 3 audio control center channel processors and 3 audio art 50 hc's. that car woulda been the bomb lol best car i ever heard without any carpet or door panels lol or dash

Justintoxicated
08-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Go Rainbow, Seas Lotus references, Dynaudio or DLS among others.

DLS Iridiums can be found in 5.25 bu 6.5 or 8 inch would be better.

I doubt you will beat the $7000 rainbow set since you have no budget!

Well you could also go active. You better get a **** good install if you plan to run $7000 fronts!

squeak9798
08-10-2005, 05:43 PM

Well you could also go active. You better get a **** good install if you plan to run $7000 fronts!

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/accuton.pdf

Go 3-way with a pair of D30-6 tweeters ($4200 each), D50-6 dome midranges ($10,200 each), and then something like the Scanspeak Revs for midbass.....that'd be a pretty pricey setup :naughty:

audiolife
08-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Go Rainbow, Seas Lotus references, Dynaudio or DLS among others.

DLS Iridiums can be found in 5.25 bu 6.5 or 8 inch would be better.

when it comes to a point the insatall will make or break how it sounds if you think its more equipment based you have ALOT to learn. a home tower speaker is pretty easy to set up and listen to as opossed to a car (the lemans was the closet thing to a home stereo type set up you could have in a car and it still was alot different) to me speakers of that cost are about as wasteful as it gets unless you want the prestige of owning them...still doesnt mean that a 300 dollar set can't sound/perform better

Eugenics
08-10-2005, 06:25 PM
what is your real budget? and yes you do have a budget otherwise you wouldn't be driving a mustang? 800 and under? 1500 and under etc? your going to get alot of apples to oranges answers unless you give a ballpark estimate of how much you want to spend on the speakers.

Justintoxicated
08-10-2005, 07:26 PM
when it comes to a point the insatall will make or break how it sounds if you think its more equipment based you have ALOT to learn. a home tower speaker is pretty easy to set up and listen to as opossed to a car (the lemans was the closet thing to a home stereo type set up you could have in a car and it still was alot different) to me speakers of that cost are about as wasteful as it gets unless you want the prestige of owning them...still doesnt mean that a 300 dollar set can't sound/perform better

Like I said they need to properly be install, he wants the best high end? What is more high end than that rainbow set without going active? I know I would trade my DLS's to own it, hell even for the seas lotus references I would trade them! I think the reason my DLS sound so good is the way they are installed...Worked out very will for my application in my truck, took a long time though and I still have to Deaden, Seal and foam the rear doors.

pft, only 10,000 for each midrange, I'll take 4 and a couple tweeters if I had no budget ;)

bigman411
08-10-2005, 08:43 PM
what is your real budget? and yes you do have a budget otherwise you wouldn't be driving a mustang? 800 and under? 1500 and under etc? your going to get alot of apples to oranges answers unless you give a ballpark estimate of how much you want to spend on the speakers.

I say $600 online. I dont buy in stores there all rip off. The mb quarts qsd213 are $495. The boston acoustics z5 are $575.

Eugenics
08-10-2005, 08:45 PM
dont get the MB's

adam71
08-10-2005, 09:13 PM
I say $600 online. I dont buy in stores there all rip off.

All depends on how you look at it. To me its worth buying local so I have a place to take my equip if I should need service. Not only that I have a good relationship with my local dealer so I get everything for a little over cost.

99StangGt
08-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Seas Lotus Reference

http://www.mobilesq.com/products/get_product.php?id=1

dasfxt
08-11-2005, 04:01 AM
first of all.. bigman wants "high-end" speakers... that's usually talking about 800+ for a set of speakers that he want's to play "LOUD"... but he wants to pay 600 max...hmm.. he shouldn't be asking for high-end stuff... he should just be asking for "Loudest speaker he can buy for $600"... high end speakers cost more because of better materials and usually better SQ... Sounds like he needs to modify his Door of his convertible for 6X9 and feed each side at least 100 watts... people need to understand that the power rating of a speaker does not matter too much when SQ is consider, only just the amount of CLEAN power going into the speaker...also.. his topic was read as "best/SQ-component set- NO budget help"

he just have to do some more homework and learn more about sound quality

bigman411
08-11-2005, 09:53 AM
first of all.. bigman wants "high-end" speakers... that's usually talking about 800+ for a set of speakers that he want's to play "LOUD"... but he wants to pay 600 max...hmm.. he shouldn't be asking for high-end stuff... he should just be asking for "Loudest speaker he can buy for $600"... high end speakers cost more because of better materials and usually better SQ... Sounds like he needs to modify his Door of his convertible for 6X9 and feed each side at least 100 watts... people need to understand that the power rating of a speaker does not matter too much when SQ is consider, only just the amount of CLEAN power going into the speaker...also.. his topic was read as "best/SQ-component set- NO budget help"

he just have to do some more homework and learn more about sound quality

Umm, I said $600 online finding a good price. The boston acoustics z5 are $575 which means there $1000 in the store. You dont call that high end $1000 for components?

99StangGt
08-11-2005, 10:19 AM
I wouldnt go with 5 1/4s . Go with at least 6 1/2s to get more midbass. Not saying 5s are bad but i havent had any luck with them in the midbass area. I have 7s in my mustang doors.

adam71
08-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey bigman I know you're taking power handling into consideration but just so you know a speaker that calls for 100w rms will have no real problems with 150 watts. My Black Gold 6.5s in my doors only call for 80 - 100 watts rms but my PRS-X720's birthsheet states it is giving them 244 watts rms. But because I have the crossover set right and the gains set right I won't blow them.

99StangGt
08-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Adam71 is right. I have been active feeding 200w to each of my mids and 100 to each tweet. It goes loud and never blown anything. By the way look into focal 165k2p they will do what you want with good SQ.

Justintoxicated
08-11-2005, 02:54 PM
for the $600 limit go with the DLS Iridiums, with a 3 inch voice coil I hear they will handle 150 watts, however i only have 75 running to mine and it is enough, they are rated for 100 watts RMS, but so are their components with 2 inch VC's?

msg tplaya07 on this forum and he can get them to you for a good price.

Eugenics
08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
tell him and me how much you like your iridiums and what you do and dont like about them... DO IT