PDA

View Full Version : new box builder

albarran9
08-08-2005, 04:33 PM
i'm about to build my first box. what can i use to hold my box together? i was thining of some gule or maybe some screws on the corners of the box, but i dont know what kind. i will be using 3/4 mdf and if you could please tell me of a good gule to use or some thing that is found at a lowes or home dept that would be great.

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/8783/boxplans1ku.th.png (http://img334.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boxplans1ku.png)

bonesninja
08-08-2005, 04:38 PM
definately use wood glue or gorilla glue. the glue is the actual key piece in holding the wood together --you can use screws just to add to the strength or to hold the wood together while drys.

Silver
08-08-2005, 04:39 PM
I just built that same box. I used drywall screws and liquid nails and it works fine. It cost me 28$ total to build it.

Beware Home Depot doesn't make accurate cuts. You'll be pleased how your mtx shines in that box.

albarran9
08-08-2005, 04:43 PM
I just built that same box. I used drywall screws and liquid nails and it works fine. It cost me 28$ total to build it.

Beware Home Depot doesn't make accurate cuts. You'll be pleased how your mtx shines in that box.

I hope i dose. are you talking about the quick nails silicon or is there glue?

tRiGgEr
08-08-2005, 04:45 PM
I hope i dose. are you talking about the quick nails silicon or is there glue?

:read:Basic wood glue. Elmers wood glue. Then use drywall nails about every 4 inches. And use plenty of glue!

albarran9
08-08-2005, 04:53 PM
thanks guys i just wanted to make sure that i didnt mess up the box so i can get the best out of my sub.

Goldtaz1
08-08-2005, 05:02 PM
I actually prefer TiteBond wood glue over most any other wood glue. It's cheaper than gorilla glue, but I think it works just as well. Also, a brad nailer that can shoot 18 gauge 1 1/2" brad nails is defiinitely the way to go. You'll say yourself alot of time. There is no predrilling and screwing screws, just aim and fire.

djfrestyl
08-09-2005, 01:47 PM
+1 air nailer.

tRiGgEr
08-09-2005, 01:49 PM
+1 air nailer.

-1 air nailer. Of corse unless you already own one. They cost mucho $$$$$$$$$$$

kmanian
08-09-2005, 04:12 PM
listen, when you screw this together, stay at least 3 inches away from the edges, mdf has a tendency to split in the corners of the end peice you are screwing to. Also if you want a nice clean finish predrill the first piece a little larger than the screw it self and counter sink it. Home depot and lowes have bounter sink combos bits that will do this in one step, the are around $12