PDA

View Full Version : how about this?

ChuteBoxe515
08-07-2005, 06:06 PM
xxx mids with the aura silk domes?

OlogyAudio
08-07-2005, 06:11 PM
One word of caution... The XXX mids FALL APART over 1khz in terms of linear distortion... they lend themselves to a 3 way...

Going all active? or want a passive designed?

The only way I can recommend the XXX in a 2 way is if you don't care about the midrange quality so much and just want an ultra authoritative ultra low distortion midbass...

kuijo
08-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Why not get some horns instead of tweeters? Then you can cross them over lower. have a 2-way setup and from what i hear people love their horns.

OlogyAudio
08-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Why not get some horns instead of tweeters? Then you can cross them over lower. have a 2-way setup and from what i hear people love their horns.

Horns need some serious EQ to correct for some fairly major frequency response aberrations... not to mention there are tons of serious issues that plight the typical horn lenses... I would rather bare with the relatively low linear distortion of the XXX compared to the linear distortion associated with horns... not to mention all the other types that are unique to them... Throat termination issues... Air compression nonlinearity issues (air turns into a liquid and starts 'honking' with transients)... I'll stop there...

kuijo
08-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Well i guess if he wants a gap in his freq response.

OlogyAudio
08-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Well i guess if he wants a gap in his freq response.
What do you mean? -- there would be no gap in the FR... you just have to live with some evil linear distortion between 1.4khz and 1.6-3.5khz depending on where the xover point is (depending on how much power you intend on feeding the components as well as how nice a tweeter you have) – or just go 3way…

kuijo
08-07-2005, 07:21 PM
It seemed like he wanted to keep it 2-way, and in my opinion the horns would be the best options. Because i believe XXX mids are typically meant for 3-way setupis.

squeak9798
08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Horns need some serious EQ to correct for some fairly major frequency response aberrations... not to mention there are tons of serious issues that plight the typical horn lenses... I would rather bare with the relatively low linear distortion of the XXX compared to the linear distortion associated with horns... not to mention all the other types that are unique to them... Throat termination issues... Air compression nonlinearity issues (air turns into a liquid and starts 'honking' with transients)... I'll stop there...

Some people love horns. Some people hate horns.

When you cut past all the techno-mumbo-jumbo; horns are still fantastic. And I'd say they have enough world finals trophies under their belt to back that statement up ;) Heck, horns were used in RC's undefeated Grand National :D

JimJ
08-07-2005, 09:46 PM
teh hornz = teh w1n.

Nothing can beat them for off-axis response, that's for sure.

OlogyAudio
08-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Some people love horns. Some people hate horns.

When you cut past all the techno-mumbo-jumbo; horns are still fantastic. And I'd say they have enough world finals trophies under their belt to back that statement up ;) Heck, horns were used in RC's undefeated Grand National :D

Properly designed horns are nice :) -- I doubt there are many of those floating about in cars... I would make a XXX 2 way with a horn but I'd not be able to support it like I would like to... That would take me being there in person and/or pulling my hair out :crying: -- Being able to create nonlinearities in air though is fun haha... just use a properly terminated throat!

audiolife
08-07-2005, 10:01 PM
i had a couple sets of horns that i would take over just about anything i have ever heard speaker wise ..in fact im probably going to get another set to toy with here within a couple months for another project.

JimJ
08-07-2005, 10:04 PM
I would make a XXX 2 way with a horn but I'd not be able to support it like I would like to... That would take me being there in person and/or pulling my hair out

Go for it - let the hobbyists that have the equipment/know-how to properly implement 'em use it :)

kuijo
08-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Properly designed horns are nice :) -- I doubt there are many of those floating about in cars... I would make a XXX 2 way with a horn but I'd not be able to support it like I would like to... That would take me being there in person and/or pulling my hair out :crying: -- Being able to create nonlinearities in air though is fun haha... just use a properly terminated throat!

..quite the change of heart.

OlogyAudio
08-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Go for it - let the hobbyists that have the equipment/know-how to properly implement 'em use it :)
Trick is the xover would need to be modified for each and every individual install... active is about the only way to go...

'..quite the change of heart.'

Hardly, I still think it isn't very practical -- You are looking at well over $1k or more for a set of high quality compression drivers and quality lenses... and the required EQ and amplification... not to mention these wouldn't be designed to be made to fit in a car too well.... so more money and time spent on a clean install...

If som1 wants to go with horns you almost *have* to go active and use tons of EQ... and/or invite me over to your house lol...

I like conventional drivers :)