PDA

View Full Version : Custom Fiberglass Dashboard

NhustlaR
08-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Anyone ever fiberglassed a whole dashboard? my buddy wants me to do it for him but i dont want to fk up his car. more importantly i dont want to waste my time doing something inpossible. Any suggestions?

I was thinkin about cutting the stock dash out so the custom screw holes and mounts stayed where they were supposed to be, but I'm not sure cuz i could prolly just make a washer mount where the screw is supposed to be...also, what would i use to form it? some heavier wire and just mount that in whatever shape i want?

spit out any help you guys think you can provide.

fo0manchu
08-06-2005, 10:21 PM
beware of the airbags, if it has any that is.

Why are you fiberglassing the WHOLE dash? Making speaker pods up top?

snebes
08-06-2005, 10:43 PM
This is something I am eventually going to do. I was going to use some stiff wire (like you plan) to do a form, take it out and possibly segment it. I wanted to use completely custom gauges (autometer's nexus line), audiocontrol stuff (not sure exactly what, but rack units) and a carputer glassed in it. I personally think that wire would be the best way to do this, but you also need to think about support. THe peices of fiberglass will be very flimsy if you don't support it somehow from the back (glassing in rope, wood, etc)

if you go on alpine's website, they have plenty of pictures from the builds of their product cars....i believe the RSX they did has a custom dash/stearing wheel shown in detail on how they did it.

dbornotdb
08-07-2005, 05:24 PM
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100871

Don't use wire, use MDF to make the shapes you want and stretch fleece or whatever you prefer between there. Then resin that. Add a couple layers to the front side if you like. If you can get to the rear, use some fiberglass filler in the resin to strengthen it.