PDA

View Full Version : 6 speaker setup

DIPayton
08-06-2005, 05:30 AM
I searched for this already and saw topics on it but not a real answer. Is a 6 speaker setup better? I had a 4 channel amp powering my 4 speakers... The amp stopped working, but I have an extra 6 channel amp laying around (from my friends old car). Would it be possible to use this 6 channel amp to power 6 speakers in my car and is this a good idea or not? Also, where would you suggest putting the extra speakers in my car if I wanted a 6 speaker setup? And how does the wiring work for this? I never actually done any of my own installs, I usually just help my buddy do it (I hand him tools when he needs them).

The 6 channel amp that I have is the REF5761A (click here (http://infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF5761A'&Ser=REF&Cat=AMP) ). I figure it could put the 56W RMS x 4 into the 4 speakers I already have and with the other two channels (107 watts RMS x 2 channels at 4 ohms) some how use them to power new speakers that I would have to buy.

Am I making sense? Sorry I am a little new to this and wondering if a 6 speaker set up would be a good thing. Or would it be possible to use my 6 channel amp on just the 4 speakers I have right now and not worry about getting 2 more speakers? I already have my subs bumpin in the back right now off another amp. And wondering what I can do to improve the sound in my car.

OlogyAudio
08-06-2005, 01:25 PM
2 channels = better than 4 or 6... for SQ -- for SPL... the more speakers the louder

DIPayton
08-06-2005, 02:47 PM
2 channels = better than 4 or 6... for SQ -- for SPL... the more speakers the louder
well I can always buy a new 4 channel amp and power my 4 speakers like I had them going before. I just do not know what to do with this 6 channel amp and thought I could get use out of it by buying more speakers. But I will not do that if it does not sound as nice. I am going a little for loud and a little for SQ. So I am still undecided. But thanks for an answer, since you're the 1st person to answer my question.

OlogyAudio
08-06-2005, 10:02 PM
well I can always buy a new 4 channel amp and power my 4 speakers like I had them going before. I just do not know what to do with this 6 channel amp and thought I could get use out of it by buying more speakers. But I will not do that if it does not sound as nice. I am going a little for loud and a little for SQ. So I am still undecided. But thanks for an answer, since you're the 1st person to answer my question.

Well a 6 speaker won't sound much worse than a 4 speaker setup (I would assume you aren't including a tweeter as a speaker and a midwoofer as a speaker)......
I say sell it all and go with a high quality 2 speaker system...

SSS 18734
08-06-2005, 10:06 PM
you could use those two channels to power some 6.5" or 8" midbass woofers

Bake
08-07-2005, 02:58 AM
You do realize that just because an amp has six channels you don't have to use all six right? Or, if your speakers can handle it, you could also use a couple of bridged channels to get more power to your existing speakers.

kuijo
08-07-2005, 03:23 AM
You could run an active 3-way set up off it.

OlogyAudio
08-07-2005, 01:48 PM
You could run an active 3-way set up off it.
Or bridge 2 -- run a 10" woofer pair in the rear deck... ;) and run an active/passive hybrid 3 way component set :yumyum: -- get another sub to cover from 50hz on down and you have a 5 way system :naughty:

DIPayton
08-07-2005, 05:16 PM
you could use those two channels to power some 6.5" or 8" midbass woofers
that is an idea I thought of... Not sure where to put them and how do you think it would sound?

SSS 18734
08-07-2005, 05:35 PM
that is an idea I thought of... Not sure where to put them tho and how do you think it would sound?

it will sound great... if done correctly ;)