PDA

View Full Version : Turntables

OdieTRP
08-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Who makes a good, but low cost, turntable? I know Technics makes the "best" one but I don't care to spend that much for a component that won't get used a lot.

djman37
08-05-2005, 12:45 PM
for DJ type purposes? or audiophile type stuff?
DJ style: Numark, Gemini, Stanton, Denon, Vestax.

Audiophile: Thorens, Denon, Music Hall

google it for the real fun stuff like a LASER turntable.
http://www.smartdev.com/LT/laserturntable.html

JimJ
08-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I second the Thorens and Music Hall comments (I'm actually looking to buy a Music Hall MMF-5 when I get the $$$, I think it's the absolute best value out there). I'd also look into the Rega Planar 2 or 3. The RB-300 tonearm kicks serious ***. Moth Audio is a company that sells re-badged Rega stuff, so you could save some money that way.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

The Vinyl Asylum on AudioAsylum is a good place to do some research...

Just remember to get a good phono preamp :)

ngsm13
08-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Maybe she does ;). I have an onkyo sitting around that you can have.

NG

OdieTRP
08-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I was looking at one for audiophile purposes. The Music Hall MMF-5 is one sweet looking unit! That's why I come to this forum; for info like that. That's more than I was looking to spend though...but someday maybe. Anything in the (gulp) $100-200 range that's at least decent? NGSM, tell me about your Onkyo

vinylavenger
08-05-2005, 03:06 PM
all depends on what you want. you can get a set of vestax, or stanton. ive used both of those and had lil to complain about for the lower models. hell, even one of the box sets from gemini and its enough to keep you happy. anything NOT belt driven is fine to just play around with. ive got a set of gemini xl-500's that have had beer and all kinds of SH@t spilled on them and still work fine for partys, but then i have my technic's for when i want to do something big like.

JimJ
08-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Anything in the (gulp) $100-200 range that's at least decent?

Nothing new for that price, but I'd scour local flea markets and yard sales. I've heard of people picking up $400-$500 decks for 60 bucks because the owners had no idea what they had...or because the wife was making the hubby get rid of all his old stuff in the basement :)

turnstylez18
08-05-2005, 05:03 PM
get NUMARK TT200...stronger motor than a 1200...but has a cheaper feel...
good budget turntable..but i dont know if its for ur needs..its more for like battling