PDA

View Full Version : Shhhhh sound from my headunit.

jimmclrk1
08-03-2005, 09:11 PM
I recently bought a JVC EXAD head unit to replace my old Panasonic CQ-C5210U. I replaced it because I was getting a faint static "shhhh". It was audible at low levels, but was easily covered up at higher levels. I replaced the head unit and at the same time added a component set. Now the shhh is enhanced because of the tweeters. I have run the speakers of BOTH the headunit, and an external amp, and I'd done the same with the last headunit. Therefore, I'm pretty sure I can rule out the headunit as the culprit, but I don't know what else to do to get rid of the noise. Anyone have any suggestions?

SSS 18734
08-03-2005, 09:14 PM
white noise is present in most systems that I have heard. Its pretty normal.

flakko
08-03-2005, 09:16 PM
really? i don get it... ithink theres a funky connection somewhere

jimmclrk1
08-03-2005, 09:17 PM
really? i don get it... ithink theres a funky connection somewhere

Bad ground?

kuijo
08-03-2005, 09:17 PM
I thought that white noise was only present on systems when the volume was turned the max, not the opposite as in his case.

jimmclrk1
08-03-2005, 09:22 PM
I just thought... could it be that the stock ground is just ******? I could easily run a larger ground wire.

Slaugh
08-03-2005, 09:25 PM
do you have your gains cranked up too high?

lpmaster
08-03-2005, 09:27 PM
i hvae the same thing in my tweets than run from the h/u but nothig coming form my externally amplified speakers, i'd say buy a noise filter i guess...not sure if it would help but for $8 at frys it couldnt hurt...

flakko
08-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Bad ground?

dunoo if you have comps, try makin a better connection thru the crossover (disconnect, and recconnect)

jimmclrk1
08-03-2005, 11:47 PM
No... like i said, the noise was there with the old unit and the old Pioneer 6x8's I had. Before I had a couple tweeters hooked up on a 2-channel amp and the noise was present then too.

jimmclrk1
08-05-2005, 03:02 PM
No other opinions? Would it be worth running a new ground? It's a very obvious shhhhh now that I'm amping my comps.

Slaugh
08-05-2005, 03:23 PM
check the amp gains like i said

they may be too high

adam71
08-05-2005, 03:57 PM
What you have is a HIGH noise floor brought on by your gain on your amp being set too high. This is why alot of head units these days have hi volt pre outs. If your pre out voltage is too low and you have to turn the gains up on the amp you will get this noise. the only real cure is a high voltage deck or an amp thats cleaner with the gains up.

SSS 18734
08-05-2005, 04:00 PM
What you have is a HIGH noise floor brought on by your gain on your amp being set too high. This is why alot of head units these days have hi volt pre outs. If your pre out voltage is too low and you have to turn the gains up on the amp you will get this noise. the only real cure is a high voltage deck or an amp thats cleaner with the gains up.

^yup. I believe the only reason I get white noise is because I have 2v pre-outs and have to turn the gains up higher. I notice if I turn them down, it gets quieter, so I'm pretty sure a new deck with 6v pre-outs would eliminate it completely.

adam71
08-05-2005, 04:04 PM
^yup. I believe the only reason I get white noise is because I have 2v pre-outs and have to turn the gains up higher. I notice if I turn them down, it gets quieter, so I'm pretty sure a new deck with 6v pre-outs would eliminate it completely.

That would be correct sir. You see, when it comes down to it, pre amp voltage does affect sound quality in a certain way.

AVSTANG02
08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Uhhh...

adam71
08-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Uhhh...

UHHH what?? Care to speak in complete sentences.?? ;)

jimmclrk1
08-06-2005, 02:18 AM
ok... one more time for those of you who didn't read the first post. it makes the same noise without the amps... it's just less of a noise because there is less power.

Slaugh
08-06-2005, 10:37 AM
ok... one more time for those of you who didn't read the first post. it makes the same noise without the amps... it's just less of a noise because there is less power.
are you doing the right frequency filter for your tweeter?

well then i assume it's a bad ground or you have a bad head unit or the other likely answer is that you have songs recorded with +db or with too much distortion or with very low quality causing the ground noise...

anyways, test your comps on another head unit, see if it still occurs