PDA

View Full Version : Is a warrantly worth $60 bucks?

Justinw303
08-03-2005, 01:09 PM
I've found the HU I want. The Kenwood KDC-MP4028.

On Crutchfield, with warranty and all that other snazzy stuff, it's $190 with shipping.

On Ebay, brand new with no warranty, it's $130 with shipping.

Oh, the decisions... :crap:

Foote
08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
id say warranty is not too important for HU but on subs and amps...id definetly get the insurance poilicy things.

SSS 18734
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Warranty is nice, but I wouldnt pay $60 for it. If anything goes wrong, thats about the price it would cost to fix it. And dealing with warranties online can be a b*tch

UndercoverPunk
08-03-2005, 01:39 PM
I'd get a warranty on a h/u way before I'd get one on subs...

the_noob
08-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, but on Crutchfield they also give you all of the wiring and adapters you'll need. That, plus the warranty, makes it more than worth it IMHO.

JLCivic
08-03-2005, 01:50 PM
But for the $190 on Crutchfield, you also get install kit, wiring harness, etc(I believe) plus dirt cheap shipping, PLUS the warranty and lifetime tech support. For $60, I say it is a pretty good deal.

SSS 18734
08-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah, but on Crutchfield they also give you all of the wiring and adapters you'll need. That, plus the warranty, makes it more than worth it IMHO.

Thats true. If you dont have the wiring harnesses/adapters, go crutchfield all the way

JLCivic
08-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Warranty is nice, but I wouldnt pay $60 for it. If anything goes wrong, thats about the price it would cost to fix it. And dealing with warranties online can be a b*tch

IF a deck dies, I bet the price of repair(and shipping) will be significantly higher than $60, unless you are fortunate enough to have some local repair place who will give you a deal.

SSS 18734
08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
IF a deck dies, I bet the price of repair(and shipping) will be significantly higher than $60, unless you are fortunate enough to have some local repair place who will give you a deal.

Yeah i have a local place who charges a flat $60 for all HU repairs... plus parts.

Savstyle
08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
thre a local repair shop where i live. its not cheap, let just say its over 60 bux :crap:

Justinw303
08-03-2005, 02:11 PM
But for the $190 on Crutchfield, you also get install kit, wiring harness, etc(I believe) plus dirt cheap shipping, PLUS the warranty and lifetime tech support. For $60, I say it is a pretty good deal.

Well, I can get the wiring harness and install kit for less than $30 off of Crutchfield if I need it, so...

squeak9798
08-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah i have a local place who charges a flat $60 for all HU repairs... plus parts.

And the parts aren't cheap ;) Depending on what fails, you could have 3x that "flat rate" just in parts cost.

Just get it from Crutchfield. As everyone else said....much better deal considering all you are getting in return.

Justinw303
08-03-2005, 02:15 PM
And the parts aren't cheap ;) Depending on what fails, you could have 3x that "flat rate" just in parts cost.

Just get it from Crutchfield. As everyone else said....much better deal considering all you are getting in return.

Yeah, but when you work part-time earning 5.25/hour and that's your only source of income, price matters.

squeak9798
08-03-2005, 02:23 PM
And what happens 8 months from now when it breaks and you have to spend $200 to get it repaired?? Which will be the cheaper route then?

SSS 18734
08-03-2005, 02:25 PM
well more than likely you arent going to have any problems. I would buy it off ebay if you have the wiring harness and accessories. If you don't, get it on crutchfield.

Prowler573
08-03-2005, 02:26 PM
And dealing with warranties online can be a b*tch

I'll agree that it can be potentially a royal pain in the posterior depending on the specific seller. However, it just couldn't be any easier than it is with Crutchfield. As they are authorized retailers of every brand they carry they honor, without question, any factory warranty included with any product.

I bought an eXcelon KDC-X569 head unit from Crutchfield the same month they showed up in their inventory. Factory warranty was listed as 2 years. About 18 months later, after I had already sold the deck to my landlady when I bought the X679 that replaced it, it quit reading CDs. Didn't matter what kind - store bought, burnt CD-audio, MP3 discs, none of 'em. All it would show was a Table Of Contents error. Landlady came to me and asked if there was anything I could do. I looked up the original order on C/F's site and saw that it was still under warranty (even if only just)

I called up Crutchfield, told 'em my problem, they looked up the original order to verify the purchase date, gave me an RMA #, and authorized me to use the prepaid UPS slip that came with my original order a year and a half previous. Thankfully I'm a packrat when it comes to warranty paperwork and I still had it. (When you buy anything from Crutchfield they send a prepaid UPS shipping slip with your order in case you need to make a return. KEEP THAT SLIP - it just may come in handy down the road even after the 30 Day no-questions-asked return timeframe has expired.)

Turnaround time was only about two weeks total (from the time I dropped it off at the UPS place to the day it showed up at my house) Deck has had Zero issues since. :D

Crutchfield's prices may be a smidge on the high side at times but with the extras they give ya (wiring harness adapters, MasterSheets that show detailed install instructions, etc) coupled with absolutely unbeatable customer service makes it worth it to me.

squeak9798
08-03-2005, 02:28 PM
well more than likely you arent going to have any problems.

I'm sure glad you can tell the future. Must come in handy........

SSS 18734
08-03-2005, 02:29 PM
lol. just going off my experience ******** :)

Justinw303
08-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Alright, I guess I'll go with Crutchfield...

But how about when I buy my amp and subs? Would ebay be a good option then?

UndercoverPunk
08-03-2005, 07:14 PM
I'd prefer to have warranties on my amps, subs, not so much. KBAudio and a few other places can fix amps if you fry them, and as long as it's offered you can always get a recone.

jimmclrk1
08-03-2005, 09:24 PM
When I bought my Panasonic h/u from crutchfield it would skip like crazy when I first got it. Because I had bought it from an authorized dealer I was able to have warranty work done free. Otherwise I would have to had thrown down atleast $60 to have the optical drive thing replaced.