PDA

View Full Version : speaker positioning??

iceteebone
07-31-2005, 11:42 PM
i'm looking to install my boston acoustic pros in my car, but i want to stay as stock as possible. i was thinking of making some fiberglass kicks, but i have such little room there. i was thinking of glassing in my mid in the kick area, and tweeter up in the A-pillar. doesn't that sound like it will work?

squeak9798
08-01-2005, 01:23 AM
i was thinking of glassing in my mid in the kick area, and tweeter up in the A-pillar. doesn't that sound like it will work?

Really far from ideal. I'm not a fan of A-pillar tweets at all. SpeakerWorks has a good saying: "The closer together the speakers are, the farther apart they will sound." With two totally different sources of sound spread so far apart like that, it will be easier to detect which source the sound is coming from as opposed to having a nice, open sounding "single point source". Plus you run into major pathlength difference problems and whatnot.

Tweets take up so little room, if you are building kicks anyways; just stick them down there with the mid. Figure you only need to make your baffle ~1.5" longer at most....and it's not like the tweets need any airspace or anything.

Bake
08-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Yep it will work but not ideal. Be prepaired to spend some time tweaking the speaker positions, both mids and tweets. Having them that far apart will cause some timing issues but you should be able to compensate with plenty of time spent positioning them. I would spend some time trying them together in the kicks and seperated in kicks and on the dash. Let your ears tell you where to place them.

you beat me to it squeak.

iceteebone
08-01-2005, 11:02 AM
i noticed on most kicks the tweeter is below the mid, what would happen in the tweeter was above the mid? that would make it easier on me to have the middown lower. also how much room should i have between the mid and tweeter on the baffle?

audiolife
08-01-2005, 12:39 PM
that you have to listen to. alot of people do that(mount it low) to get a direct line from the tweeter while others push the tweeter up in ..both get good results but it also has enough factors in it to say try it out with a towel before you make a baffle.