PDA

View Full Version : To dls iridium users

6three6mafia6
08-01-2005, 12:08 AM
hey guys i got to say ive been struggling with DLS speakers for about a year, i have a car audio and electronics magazine and they did a special HIGH END component comparison, they had the most expensive speaker rainbow reference(6,000$then) the alpine spx z15m(3500$) the morel elite(or something like that 899$) and the dls iridium 6.2(850$) they got the most expensive speakers out did tests and reviewed them, and the dls did kind bad, it did the worse out of all the speakers and it scored a 60 out of 100, the alpine did 86 out of 100 highest score, in the test it showed the dls had tons of spikes and valleys in the frequency response including a 10db dip around 10khz, that was the first time they did a reiviwe with the the klippel anylizer(or something like that) and the second bad thing about the woofer was the xc and xbl , it pretty much had the shorted xmax and the spider ran out of travel VERY soon and i think it said it could move 2.3mm, and they had some other issues they coulnd figure out.

This stuff is all in charts and tech info etc, then when it came to the music listening it didnt do what a 800$ component set should do.

So my question do the dls iridium users, ive been thinking VERY much about getting a iridium 3 way but it seems like these things have no mid bass and as far as the spikes in frequency response im not to worried about , im starting to think that FLAT speakres arent for me cause i like how my kappa 6x9 sound more than ANY component ive had in my car, so i need to know , how GOOD do these things sound , and is the midbass below average??? i want to get listening reviews mostly cause ive had problems with lower non bass sounds(500-1000hz) that my components never play loud, but my 6x9 kappas play them much better(actually audiable) so a person with a graph seing a valley around 500-1500hz might see as a bad thing but i would pay to get something like that, so it could be that it actually looks bad on paper but it sounds good?

OlogyAudio
08-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Go listen to some boston acoustics Z series components to see if you like flat or not :) -- they are pretty flat... my ears did the testing and they are pretty good for that sort of thing :)

Also DLS uses a version of the morel drivers that well... are inferior -- hence the low xmax -- the null at 10khz is likely just a strange phase aberation due to the grill... if they were real reviewers they would try again 15 or 20 degrees off axis and see if it is still there... because that would be an artifact of gated measurement not being short enough (they did use gated measurements right???) :) I love these storys...

Justintoxicated
08-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I dunno I love my iridims I can feel the midbass kick me in the chest and I only have them installed inthe door panels, nothing special. They are the best sounding comps I have heard, but I have not listened to Lotus Rainbow or Morel, or the best alpines even. Specs arent everything, hell aluminum tweeters look better on paper but IRL they have a harsh sound to them typicaly.

So far I am VERY impressed with the Iridiums, but hey if you like harsh tweeters that are Super sensitive and responsive, then I would rate the DLS lower also. But then again I didn't pay 850 for mine either.

If DLS is so bad then how come they owned the awards in 05? I'm sure Rianbows would be awesome but I can't afford that stuff I'm not rich.

I don't think FLAT is a good way to describe the Iridiums, smooth and clear would be how I rate them, Midbass is perfect, but then again I plan on getting a sub so I don'w want them to sound like 6x9 or subwoofers... it's more of a tight punch than Rolling Bass, But I'm talkgni abotu the 300-60hz range.

6three6mafia6
08-01-2005, 08:50 PM
man im not sure if i should buy cdt HD 3 ways or dls iridium 3 ways, anybody with experience with both?

Eugenics
08-01-2005, 08:57 PM
why do i have to hear this stuff right when i think ive decided i want to buy the DLS speakers?

Eugenics
08-01-2005, 09:05 PM
then again, against 6000 dollar speakers, most others are going to do kinda ******,... **** is blocked but not ******, how ******

Vash
08-02-2005, 03:22 AM
I can have people who are intrested in DLS Iridiums ( I have 8.3s) to listen to this weekend (saturday morning) in the Long beach area. This is going to be in a 2001 Miata IB installation. Just post here or PM me. I love the way the sound and the 3 inch mids has kick to it ^.^

3.5Max6spd
08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
i wouldn't dwell on graphs and klippel measurements...the general concensus is that they sound great and are easy to work with, their domes have a nice wide dispersion.

Also the reason they are being compared to a $7k Rainbow set is because they are comparing company flagship models. I would've liked to see an a/b of Profi Vanadium/Power CS with the Iridiums which i believe is more comparable and in the $$ ballpark.

The dip in the 10khz region comes to no surprise, to me they often sound like they hold back detail on those upper transients....the 'laid back' sound which lots of people like btw

OlogyAudio
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Just so every1 knows I'm working on some XXX/seas (and or RS) 2 and 3 ways.... as well as -- well a ton of different stuff... Should be pretty nice.

Pretty much any of the quality seas tweeters (namely 27tdfc, 27TBFC/G, or any of the excel tweeters or the lotus tweeter...) or the Dayton RS or neo tweeter...
The Seas L or W or MP series mids/midwoofers, the peerless midwoofers, dayton RS midwoofers...
Seas L series or Dayton RS woofers (or midwoofers that can be used as woofers)

In 2 or 3 ways...

6three6mafia6
08-02-2005, 03:07 PM
this is just what i need i ****ing owe you man, vash i sent you a PM.

Justintoxicated
08-02-2005, 08:01 PM
hey Vash, I plan to put my Door Panel Back on tonight so I might be able to meet up sometime this weekend after all.

I have a rats nest of wires under my dash going to crossoers I have to sort out still but they are up and running...only off a 75x2 amp though. Not broken in yet either...How long do I need to wait untill they are broken in so I can crank them?

Nothign fancy with my install I just deadened the door the best I could. I think I used a little to much Matt on the plastic panel I have to pop back in tonight, it is **** heavy to lift now lol.

Vash
08-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey Justin,
To break them in I just play them regularly how I would normally play them. Though it takes about 30 hours for it to play the way they should. Well we can meet up saturday at like 12 and 6three6 is gonna meet up to to check it out. I'll PM both u guys later thsi week. but Saturday at 12 is the time gotta find a location.

Justintoxicated
08-03-2005, 01:51 PM
ok I'll try I might be going wakeboarding (or attempting to do so) on sat, but I don't know yet