PDA

View Full Version : High SQ Sealed

Eugenics
07-31-2005, 04:11 PM
I searched around and never really found what i was looking for

i was wondering what sets one sealed enclosure apart from the other. im going with the recomended specs but was wondering what i could do to the box to set it above the bar so to speak. is there any ideal shape? ideal place to mount the sub? ideal material? anything i should put inside the box? etc?

any help would be great.

JimJ
07-31-2005, 04:18 PM
No ideal shape...as long as the volume is correct, it could be any shape. Technically, a sphere is the best due to the reduction of standing waves (conversely, a cube would be the worst for standing waves) but in practice this isn't something to worry about a lot.

Ideal material is MDF or heavily-braced plywood.

The alignment is going to make much more of a sonic different...playing around with high and low Q alignments will give you a very good idea of how the enclosure interacts with the vehicle's airspace.

Eugenics
07-31-2005, 04:19 PM
can you explain the higher and lower q thing?

i drive a beetle and was thinking about aiming my sub at the back window, would that help?

JimJ
07-31-2005, 04:22 PM
I know myself and Squeak have described it here before, but...

A Qtc of .707 is generally considered a "middle" alignment. Higher values will usually have less transient response, better power handling, and better high frequency response. Lower alignments will have better transient response, lower power handling ability, better low frequency response at the loss of upper frequencies. The extreme of this would be an infinite baffle setup, which is extremely low Q.

Playing around with frequency response charts on WinISD and others will make this instantly clear.

Eugenics
07-31-2005, 04:26 PM
i just dont get the whole Qts thing (what it is) and all that... because im dense and whatnot

Eugenics
07-31-2005, 05:14 PM
alright, i figured it out, got winisd made myself a nice little graph and still dont know what the **** im doing

Raven
08-01-2005, 10:52 PM
In a nutshell
Small sealed boxed will be peaky. They "punch" so to speak, but have a poor bottom end.
Large sealed boxes won't be peaky. They won't "punch" but will play lower.