PDA

View Full Version : Positioning front kicks

ruckus
07-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Im glassing some kicks for my car to house some 5.25" comps how should the comps be positioned? What should they be facing? the woofers and tweeters should they be facing the same direction? towards me? towards car center? Im also putting pods on my rear deck for 6.5" comps can they shoot staight forward if placed over existing 6x9 spots?

cjjackson85
07-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Towards you...

iceteebone
07-30-2005, 12:20 AM
i heard a trick people used was too get a laser pointer and aim your baffle towards the center of the headrest.

squeak9798
07-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Honestly IMHO the best thing to do is go to Home Depot and get some plumber's straps. Connect the straps between the rear 'glass mold of the kick and the baffle, drop the speakers in with a towel wrapped around the back of the mid and just start playing around with aiming till you find the position that works best. Once you get that, place dowel rods in between the rear mold and the baffle to retain that aiming, remove the plumber's straps and finish 'glassing the kicks.

iceteebone
07-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Honestly IMHO the best thing to do is go to Home Depot and get some plumber's straps. Connect the straps between the rear 'glass mold of the kick and the baffle, drop the speakers in with a towel wrapped around the back of the mid and just start playing around with aiming till you find the position that works best. Once you get that, place dowel rods in between the rear mold and the baffle to retain that aiming, remove the plumber's straps and finish 'glassing the kicks.

what exactly are plumbing straps? i know it's pathetic i don't know but i'm not a plumber. i'm also interested in this question as i plan to do some kicks :naughty:

cjjackson85
07-30-2005, 01:12 AM
According to a google image search, this is a plumbers strap... :uhoh:

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webtables/40896.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=plumbers+straps&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

Moe Lester
07-30-2005, 01:14 AM
looks like a metal strap maybe 5/8th" wide with a bunch of holes in it

http://images.oldhouseweb.com/stories/bitmaps/10444/topbeam.jpg

cjjackson85
07-30-2005, 01:17 AM
It's also known as steel tape, fishermans tape, plumbers tape, etc...

squeak9798
07-30-2005, 01:29 AM
what exactly are plumbing straps? i know it's pathetic i don't know but i'm not a plumber. i'm also interested in this question as i plan to do some kicks :naughty:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24497-186-GHK10M&category=15&lpage=none&bc=c

In the plumbing section of Lowes/Home Depot

iceteebone
07-30-2005, 01:35 AM
this is off topic but i'm wondering would it be a good idea to ad polyfil to my kicks? i have limited space to work with so the kick is gonna be rather small.

cjjackson85
07-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Try it with and without, see what sounds better...

Bake
07-30-2005, 01:43 AM
Given the small space of kicks, any small difference in enclosure size will be more noticeable. Therefore it is ususally advised to vent the kicks on the backside into the fenderwell. At least that is the opinion that I have most often encountered.

squeak9798
07-30-2005, 01:51 AM
Given the small space of kicks, any small difference in enclosure size will be more noticeable. Therefore it is ususally advised to vent the kicks on the backside into the fenderwell. At least that is the opinion that I have most often encountered.

:word:

Depends on the speaker....but in *general*, most car audio speakers will prefer to be infinite baffle.....which means you need to vent the kickpanel into a larger airspace (such as the fenderwell, etc etc)

iceteebone
07-30-2005, 01:55 AM
how would i vent it? just drill a hole and run a tube out of it?

flakko
07-30-2005, 03:37 AM
just drill a hole. tis been done.

Bake
07-30-2005, 03:49 AM
In keeping with the infinite baffel mounting idea I would think a somewhat large vent would be better than a smaller (bit sized) hole. At least that is what i will be doing with a set that I am starting soon. Ever notice the qforms are pretty much open on the back side. They can sound good with a little glass applied to make them more ridged.