PDA

View Full Version : Powering DLS Iridiums

Justintoxicated
07-29-2005, 01:08 PM
The Power Specs on the speakers say 100 watts.

However when I look at teh 100x2 DLS amp it says Nominal Poer handeling is 100 watts x 2 and the Typical ouput is 150x2

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=A3

So what kind of watts are the speakers rated at? I'm simply used to RMS is RMS.

I was planing to use my Eclipse 75x2 RMS @ 4 ohms but it sounds liek these speakers really might like to see 150 watts from a typical amplifier or be hooked to a 100 watt DLS amplifier?

I' just confused on the proper power handleing for my Iridiums, thanks.

Kali77
07-29-2005, 01:11 PM
100-150wrms is right where they like it. I have mine run off a JL300/2 and they take the power like champs, and sound awesome doing it ;)

Justintoxicated
07-29-2005, 01:15 PM
so I should look into ditching this Eclipse?

How would the 300/2 JL amp sound compaired to the DLS I posted the link to?

I also have a Hifonic Zeuse 600 Watt 150x2 600x1, but I'm not sure it would make a good Component amplifier.

Kali77
07-29-2005, 01:26 PM
The A3 is a very good amp. If you already have the eclipse, I would give it a try. I am sure it will do just fine, and meet your needs.

GCAdidas13
07-29-2005, 01:31 PM
i put them on a PPI PCX2200 for a while. 200RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (12v rating)... and they did not get any louder than 125RMS x 2 at 4 ohms from my PPI PCX4125 (again, 12v rating)...

so basically to be safe stick around 125-150 at MAX, because by increasing power you are probably only going to put them more at risk of frying.

Justintoxicated
07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
It's not an A3, its an eclipse 3321 I believe, it's old, hell it was an older model 5 years ago when I got it, made in USA though, had a slight problem where one channel would cut out every now and then, but it had not appeard for over a year last time I used it, I opened it up and found a plated wire from one of the coilds appeared to be touching and possibly rubbing against something it looked like it should not have been (it would have been soldered not leaning against it, just moved it about 2mm out of the way, have not re-tested it since though. I feel it could have been the issue.

never went into protection or anything, tapping the amp a little would get it working again.

As far as I know it works perfectly, but does not sound like it is powerful enough for the Iridiums.

Kali77
07-29-2005, 02:14 PM
It's not an A3, its an eclipse 3321 I believe, it's old, hell it was an older model 5 years ago when I got it, made in USA though, had a slight problem where one channel would cut out every now and then, but it had not appeard for over a year last time I used it, I opened it up and found a plated wire from one of the coilds appeared to be touching and possibly rubbing against something it looked like it should not have been (it would have been soldered not leaning against it, just moved it about 2mm out of the way, have not re-tested it since though. I feel it could have been the issue.

never went into protection or anything, tapping the amp a little would get it working again.

As far as I know it works perfectly, but does not sound like it is powerful enough for the Iridiums.

Yeah I know. I was talking about the DLS A3 you linked :crazy: If you were having problems with the eclipse you may want to invest in a new amp anyway. That way you know you will have enough power and you will have a reliable piece of equipment running them.

Justintoxicated
07-29-2005, 02:38 PM
ohhh no A3 yet hehe, if I got that thing it would drive my subs better than my Current subwoofer amp lol.

the A3 sounds superior to even the JL , but it might be a little overkill if just running fronts?

The eclipse Amp isn't that bad as far as problems and seems to put out a real clean signal, but if it gives me a problem again I will be replacing it for sure. Are the new Eclipse Amps still made in USA?

I'll probably have to save up for the JL 300/2 as I have always wanted one anyways.

Kali77
07-29-2005, 03:02 PM
ohhh no A3 yet hehe, if I got that thing it would drive my subs better than my Current subwoofer amp lol.

the A3 sounds superior to even the JL , but it might be a little overkill if just running fronts?

The eclipse Amp isn't that bad as far as problems and seems to put out a real clean signal, but if it gives me a problem again I will be replacing it for sure. Are the new Eclipse Amps still made in USA?

I'll probably have to save up for the JL 300/2 as I have always wanted one anyways.

Not true. The A3 would be an excellent choice to run your iridiums.

Justintoxicated
07-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Not true. The A3 would be an excellent choice to run your iridiums.

Yes but would it not be a bit Under used?

Kali77
07-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Yes but would it not be a bit Under used?

No not at all. But if money is an issue, there are obviously cheaper alternatives.

Justintoxicated
07-29-2005, 04:32 PM
I guess I don't understand what your saying.

Whats the Difference between these 2 amps when runnign 4 channel sterio?

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=CA23

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=A3

They are both rated @ 100x2 in 4 ohm sterio mode...the later jsut appears to be one ohm stable, but I don't be using the iridims in such a way? Isn't this more of a subwoofer amp, and the first would drive teh components exactly the same for a fraction of the cost?

What is the difference between Typical and Nominal Ratings?

Kali77
07-29-2005, 04:51 PM
They are going to do the same thing basically. The A3 has a built in cooling fan and a damping factor of >200 as opposed to know fan and a damping factor of >100. The A series is DLS top of the line series. The A3 is a better amp then the classic series. The A3 has other features as well, that I can't think off the top of my head like gold plated connections........ Go check out www.dls.se and they should give you a better run down on the differences.

Justintoxicated
07-29-2005, 05:14 PM
I don't know much about amplifiers hence I have Hifonics lol (actualy I paid $400 for this Hifonics amp about 5 years ago) it was supposed to be a good deal lol I did shop around and everyplace i wet to must have had ripoff prices....oh well that was 5 years ago.

What is the Damping Factor?

Kali77
07-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Here you go:

Damping Factor
by Ben Blish
April 28th, 2001

Damping Factor is a term audio enthusiasts (and their rabid cousins, the audiophiles) run into time and time again. However, few people actually understand precisely what the term means, what the consequences of a particular damping factor rating might be for the ultimate desired result (sound reproduction!) or what issues affect the application or relevance of damping factor. The idea isn't rocket science, but it's not something you can toss off in a few seconds, either - and so mostly, it stays a mystery. Let's fix that! It'll be a little longwinded, because there are several ways you can look at the issue, but it's interesting if you've got a basic understanding of electric current and voltage, which many people do.

If you don't understand basic electric current and voltage, let's just say that damping factor is a figure of merit that tells you how good an amplifier is at controlling a speaker system. The larger the number, the better it is. At 100 or above, it's pretty darned good. Below 20 or so, it's pretty poor.
When one amplifier's damping factor is higher than another's, that tells you that the amplifier with the higher damping factor can better control the speaker systems, and all other things being equal (frequency response, phase shift, distortion, etc.) that it is a better amplifier.

Here is the link if you want to read all the technical info
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mdampingfactor.html

Kali77
07-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Here is another good article http://www.diyspeakers.net/Articles/Richard%20Pierce%20DAMPING%20FACTOR.pdf

Justintoxicated
07-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Ok thanks I really have no idea what it means, one article says Big Number = good the other says not necessarily, to in my brain that means Dampening Factor = no importance.

I don't get it....

Why is this amp so much more expensive than the JL 300/2?

What is Typical and Nominal? Is that Like RMS and Peak?

Vash
07-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey Justin I'm running my 8.3s with the DLS CA-23. Sounds just awsome! Of course the A3 will sound better but for my taste and budget the CA-23 satisfies. Oh, and my doors are all nice and deadened now ^.^ When are you available for me to check out those 6.2s? We can meet at circuit city like you said, is this the one in Lakewood next to Best buys *lakewood mall*? Oh and you should test them out playing this CD titled "The Very Best of Acoustic Alchemy" by, Acoustic Alchemy. Extremely good recording.

JAZN
07-29-2005, 07:25 PM
just get the A3. i'm gonna buy one as soon as i get the money, currently running an A5.
dls amps are well built, reliable as hell, and gorgeous IMO.

Kali77
07-29-2005, 10:36 PM
just get the A3. i'm gonna buy one as soon as i get the money, currently running an A5.
dls amps are well built, reliable as hell, and gorgeous IMO.

X2+ what I have been trying to say :)

Justintoxicated
07-29-2005, 10:41 PM
The only thing is, if I get the A3, shoulden't I feel silly for running the Hifonics Z600 for my subs? (Probably Koda 10's)

What should I get 2 A3's? lol

I'm not ready to meet up yet, something came loose in my door panel from the Iridiums, and I have not yet setup my amp, will be working on more stuff this weekend, but I have a feeling it will be a while longer.

Kali77
07-29-2005, 10:44 PM
The only thing is, if I get the A3, shoulden't I feel silly for running the Hifonics Z600 for my subs? (Probably Koda 10's)

What should I get 2 A3's? lol

I'm not ready to meet up yet, something came loose in my door panel from the Iridiums, and I have not yet setup my amp, will be working on more stuff this weekend, but I have a feeling it will be a while longer.

Or an A4 which is 250w bridged in 4ohm. Perfect for the Koda's :yumyum: Sounds like a ******* setup you are building ;)

JAZN
07-30-2005, 01:25 AM
i vote all dls setup :)

GCAdidas13
07-30-2005, 01:30 AM
yesss

scrappy
07-30-2005, 02:13 AM
All dls would be very nice maybe even look into their subs. Azgrower from this forum had an A3 for sale last time he posted it was still in his sig check here http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100556 Its an old post but he last posted 3 days or so ago maybe pm him if interested

GCAdidas13
07-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Their grills, i think, look pretty sweet. Too bad it looks like a basketball :p:

Justintoxicated
08-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Well I plugged up My eclipse Amp This weekend, After ripping out the entire interior....Rear seats still out, but the Captains chairs and center console and glove box is back in. LONG Weekend of deadening the floor and rear wall.

Rigged up my 75x2 eclipse and they do sound much better, there is some kinda white noise though that was not there when I had them hooked up to the HU, the amp sounds very clear but the noise kinda bugs me at low volume levels. It does not get louder as I turn the volume up and it is there with the truck running or not.

so I don't think it is alternator whine, I Ran all the 1/0ga Power cables on one side channel of the truck, the RCA's under the center console, and the speaker wires down the opposite side channel. So The noise must simply be coming form the amp.

I might look into the A3 but the JL 300/2 is more in my price range, if I can get the A3 for $475 would it be worth purchasing over the 300/2 for $329 just to be used for the components?

I'm kinda limited for dimensions, my 3321 will mount behind the rear seats just barley so I don't think either of these 2 amps will fit there, I do have the option of building an amprack and I can probably bit 2 amps under the drivers seat stacked so long as tehy are not too tall.

I'm going to play with the Eclipse amp and see if I can lessen the noise, I'm sure it would not bother most people but I'd like to eliminate it, since it looks like i will be going all out.

I may use this one to drive some Dual-Mag midranges from my component set with blown tweeters for rear fill, since the white noise seems to mostly come from the tweeters it would work well for this application. If I can eliminate the noise I will be keeping the Eclipse amp, it gets teh Iridiums plenty loud I have not turned up the volume past 60% yet.

Justintoxicated
08-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh Yea, Vash, let me finish getting my interior back together and we can meet up and compare.

Justintoxicated
08-01-2005, 06:45 PM
I found this link on ebay to the old eclipse amp I am using up, man that guy is asking the same price I paid for it years ago!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECLIPSE-3321-2-CHANNEL-AMP-NEW-IN-BOX-SEALED-NEW_W0QQitemZ5794525030QQcategoryZ39738QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Vash
08-02-2005, 02:26 AM
Oh Yea, Vash, let me finish getting my interior back together and we can meet up and compare.

Yah for sure man im available this upcoming Saturday morning. Just want to hear how different installaion techniques sound. My 8.3s could sound crappy to what I hear good IMO with my installation. :idea:

Justintoxicated
08-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Ok So I hooked up the Eclipse 75x2, this is not a newer eclipse it is an older US made one about 6 years old or maybe more. I sceen some guy selling a new one on ebay for $265 still so it must not be too shabby.

It operates perfect, but I'm wondering how much improvement I would see with a DLS A3 or a JL 300/2, and of those 2 which would drive the iridiums better.

Also I'm not sure what to do with my old amp, I was planning to use it for rear fill if I got a new one but everyone is telling me to just disconnect the rear speakers (not sure people sitting in back will like that though).

So I need everyone to help me decide what to do.

BYW I found 2 used DLS, one wih box and manual for $340, and one with some cosmetic scratches for $300. Or I can buy a new one for $475, or I can get a new JL 300/2 for about $350, or juds keep the eclipse...

Please help me make a final decision because I don't want to drill the eclipse into my rear wall on my brand new truck if I am not going to use it.

It sounds good and gets loud but I think there is some distortion at higher volumes 2/3+ on the HU (CD5444) I have to check the settings but I have the crossover on the HU set to 80HTZ, I set the gain down to about 2/3 of full power on the Eclipse 3321, have not used the proper method yet to do lack of time.

I need to know if upgrading to an A3 or 300/2 will yeild serious improvement $340 + worth? and if so which one of those deals should I get?